Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why that title is that. It just sounded right.

Anyway, I played a 3v3 match of this at Game Empire in Pasadena, CA today.

I was given a deck and it was Elendril, the alliance Hunter. I had no idea how the deck ran, but apparently it was an ally rush deck.

We had lots of deck types, we had: a poison rogue, an equipment warrior, an equipment hunter and of course ally rushing. I noticed a few things from my game:

I did 11 damage one turn with my allies, despite their best efforts to stop me. In the end, we did not get to finish, but it was me and another hunter against a warrior with 5 hp and armor spent. We had to call it for time.

What I notice is this:

In the game the strategies that will be used is what is the fastest. In my case, I could drop allies left and right. In the end, I ended up with only 5 resources. I had guys like Kalis who gets +3/+3 if I had 4 allies on the field. The problem was that I was building up so fast that my opponents could not take me down.

One of my partners had 3 deadly poisons on him at one point, but we still managed to kill the other rogue before the deadly poisons could do their fatal moves.

In order to counter my ally massing, they would need multi-destroy cards, aka Wrath of God for the MtGers. They did not have any. I would say it comes partly because it was casual. There were very few rares in all decks. A lot of multi-destroy cards are rare like Chain Lightning, Cleave and Multi-shot.

So yea, the point of this was that my theory is that the most prominent decks will be the ones who can accomplish winning fast such as ally rushing. They will beat any slow winning deck.

If you find you win slower than this, you need to pack counter-cards such as multi-destroy cards. The problem with this is that in other matchups these counter cards will be useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really find this to be true. There are loads of removal cards + protector options. If you build a slower deck, you need to factor in ways to stop rush. This is true for all CCGs. It sounds like whoever built the deck didn't do that. On the other hand, for 1 on 1, the end of game generally comes turn 6-8 for most decks, so it sounds like the game ended at about the right turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.