Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
263 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: Hottest Gamer Wife contest deleted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: drama [+] history [+] sexism [+] smoke_break_for_sisyphus [+] Cencorship [+] [View All]
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please.
WHY?

I still would like to see if ANY of the contestants (I mean the women on the pics) had problems with the contest. For example, my wife said, smiling, 'that's stupid' but was happy to see the lots of thumbsup s 'she' got. She takes it as a compliment. Why couldn't we give compliments to women? And why do others than the women on the pics get offended by the geeklist that they have nothing to do with?

It's like when people get offended by jokes while the 'aimed' groups do enjoy them. Do you know who told me the best gay jokes? A gay friend of mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lacxox wrote:
Please.
WHY?

I still would like to see if ANY of the contestants (I mean the women on the pics) had problems with the contest. For example, my wife said, smiling, 'that's stupid' but was happy to see the lots of thumbsup s 'she' got. She takes it as a compliment. Why couldn't we give compliments to women? And why do others than the women on the pics get offended by the geeklist that they have nothing to do with?

It's like when people get offended by jokes while the 'aimed' groups do enjoy them. Do you know who told me the best gay jokes? A gay friend of mine.

Rats! A Geeklist finally worth reading and I missed it.
Life just isn't fair sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henry
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Settling in, let's see where this goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexey Babaitsev
Russia
Moscow (Postal Code 115597)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My subscription page showed that I recieved 2 comments for Grandma's entry. I will now never know what they were soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henry
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet the Hottest Husband contest continues! Sexism! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fatetwister64 wrote:
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

thumbsup for that.

I also think that if
Michael Basil
United States
Clayton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
's wife ad made an appearance, it would've been curtains.

(My shenomad refused to enter.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your wife honestly wants to have her physical appearance compared to other women, there are plenty of other web sites where she can go for that. That sort of thing seems detrimental to this site. Women are already underrepresented in this hobby; if you want that to change, then lining them up so that people can vote on the best pair of tits seems stupid and counterproductive.
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henry
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
lining them up so that people can vote on the best pair of tits seems stupid and counterproductive.

Says the owner of the Busen Memo Fan microbadge.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anwar Dalati
Germany
Hamburg-Altona
flag msg tools
mb
kuhrusty wrote:
If your wife honestly wants to have her physical appearance compared to other women, there are plenty of other web sites where she can go for that. That sort of thing seems detrimental to this site. Women are already underrepresented in this hobby; if you want that to change, then lining them up so that people can vote on the best pair of tits seems stupid and counterproductive.

You obviously didn't read the list at all. Neither the pictures presented nor the comments aimed at any such things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

Okay, should we delete all the stupid and counterproductive lists from BGG? Maybe I'd say yes, but then 19 of 20 geeklist should be deleted.
You might say there are other web sites where there can be a 'beauty competition' (as long as anyone took it seriously that it was a competition) but why not here? Look at the geeklists, do you think they are all about board games? What about Patrick Swayze R.I.P? Or the Jim Jarmusch geeklist? Or others?
BGG is not only a database but a kind of social place as well. People come here for board games but also like chit-chatting and having fun. And if they do a 'beauty contest' why not? Maybe you saw a best pair of tits contest, I didn't. I know some pics showed more from certain body parts than others but even then, these pics didn't depict 'nude boobies' or whatever some call them, these pics depicted fine looking women and board games. If some people rate them for the tits that's their thing.
You can also see the Hottest Gamer Husband contest, why don't you find that offensive?

...and why do anyone think that if I think a lady is beautiful then I will never care what her other abilities or personality is? Why is acknowledging the beauty of a woman considered something evil? Something is very wrong in a society if many people think it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
Surely the easiest way to see the hottest wives, girlfriends, partners (whatever you want to call them), is to keep checking the hot photos. The girls show up there with lots of thumbs. Though at the moment they do seem to be struggling to keep up with Space Hulk (third edition) photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we have a "Hottest Tranny" competition? Pat was thrilled with the thumbs recieved. (And of course I only posted with permission).

cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fatetwister64 wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
lining them up so that people can vote on the best pair of tits seems stupid and counterproductive.

Says the owner of the Busen Memo Fan microbadge.

You mean the owner and creator of the microbadge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
Can we have a "Hottest Tranny" competition? Pat was thrilled with the thumbs recieved. (And of course I only posted with permission).

cry
Randy I thought your addition was great and highlighted some of my concerns, the rest of the list was not for me to be honest. I like hot women and all, but I have reservations about the general idea of the list. I'm not sure how I feel about it being deleted though, either way. I'd love to hear some perspective from those who wanted it deleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So once again the people who don't like something have been pandered to? I guess I should act surprised but I'm not.

It was a legitimite geeklist, compared to some of the crap that is on there now. And I'm pretty sure none of the 'contestants' had complained. If I had a decent photo of my wife playing a game I would have uploaded one too.

Why shouldn't a BGGer feel proud of showing the world their SO, regardless of sex? I agree that it doesn't really have lot to do with boardgames but once again there's an awful lot of content on here that can be said about to.

Another sad day on BGG. I hope that it was the GL owners decision and not an admin one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

I missed that one too.
How annoying and this while I am like, most of you, only checking out the threads on this site, to get a glimps of some bare flash of any of the hotties on this site.
Life can be so unfair.

But seriously, it has come to my attention that there are people on this site that take things far to serious.
They seem to feel the need to make a mountain out of any molehill and make a sport of taking anything that can be taken the wrong way just so.

With growing boredom I once read a reply by someone who was complaining about the waste of space a review, he didn't like, was. And than wasting pages of space trying to convince others that it really was not good and wasting space. Yawn.snore

They seem to forget this is a site for people who like games.
People who like some innocent fun and I enjoy the cheeky remarks that some photos manage to entice us to make.
Funny remarks that can be understood in two ways and leave it up to the reader to figure out what actually was meant.
Afterall it's all some harmless fun.

Allthough on the other hand I can fully understand that if you post a photo of your mrs at a game, and some twit post the comment "I'd do her" you'd get rather pissed off.
That's neither funny nor called for, we don't need to know you'd 'do' anyone who wouldn't give you a 2nd look.
From such sad comments it has become clear to me that there are a number of Geeks out there who really need these photos desperately, for it is the closest to a real woman they'll ever get.
Come on guys, look around, there are other sites you'd better like that love such comments.

shake

But as long as we don't hurt other peoples feelings and observe common deceincy (and the fact that some viewers are of a younger age) I think we should be allowed some sillyness over lovely girls.
It must be considered positive that we are not such sad people,we wouldn't notice a lovely girl next to a gameboard.

Do not punish those of us, who are grownup enough to appreciate beauty, by deleting threads of such, even when our view gets obstructed by this hot girl that's holding the meeple.

Maybe this site should become even more democrated and give us all a vote if we want a certain thread gone, rather than act on the comments on a few who are easily offended.
Ofcourse we should not let this site become anything other than a site on gaming, but I think some innocent fun should be allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:

Another sad day on BGG. I hope that it was the GL owners decision and not an admin one.

If enough geeks complain to the admins using the red X button then the admins have to delete the content that seemingly offends too many users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacxox wrote:
Okay, should we delete all the stupid and counterproductive lists from BGG?

It makes sense to me that geeklists which are detrimental to the site would be deleted. You mention non-game-related stuff like the Patrick Swayze R.I.P. list; I didn't read that, but that sort of thing doesn't seem harmful to the site.

lacxox wrote:
You might say there are other web sites where there can be a 'beauty competition' (as long as anyone took it seriously that it was a competition) but why not here?

You know, I've asked my wife a similar question: "there are other rooms in the house where I can take a dump; why not here in the kitchen?" Her answer is always something vague about there being a time & a place for everything--or that just because you can do a thing, that doesn't mean you should do it in front of company.

But never mind that. The whole concept of voting for the hottest-looking woman, and inviting comment on their appearance, seems to me to encourage an environment which is hostile to women.

lacxox wrote:
Maybe you saw a best pair of tits contest, I didn't. I know some pics showed more from certain body parts than others but even then, these pics didn't depict 'nude boobies' or whatever some call them, these pics depicted fine looking women and board games. If some people rate them for the tits that's their thing.

Good point. I can't speak for everyone else, but I thumbed your wife because her hot personality really shone through in that picture. I totally hope she got more thumbs than Alexey's grandma, whose personality is obviously not hot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
lacxox wrote:

BGG is not only a database but a kind of social place as well. People come here for board games but also like chit-chatting and having fun. And if they do a 'beauty contest' why not? Maybe you saw a best pair of tits contest, I didn't. I know some pics showed more from certain body parts than others but even then, these pics didn't depict 'nude boobies' or whatever some call them, these pics depicted fine looking women and board games. If some people rate them for the tits that's their thing.
You can also see the Hottest Gamer Husband contest, why don't you find that offensive?

...and why do anyone think that if I think a lady is beautiful then I will never care what her other abilities or personality is? Why is acknowledging the beauty of a woman considered something evil? Something is very wrong in a society if many people think it is.

First I want to note I didn't see the list but I doubt very much that I would have had an issue with it.

However I think Rusty makes a good point about women already being a smaller part of this community and the men here need to decide if they want to increase female participation than they need to be careful about fostering certain impressions.

Which brings us the the next point - Why would anybody object...

When all is said and done in our society women are still primarily valued predominantly for their looks. We know this.

As the classic fun, smart, nice personality, yet almost always not picked girl I have gotten used to being devalued for not being "hot".

Then there are really truly hot girls who get tired of that trumping all the other aspects of their personality.

In many ways the internet is one of the few places we actually get to be equal to men in men's minds and guts and be valued for what we view to be the most important part of ourselves because "looks" are out of the equation.

So for some women there just isn't a need to end up devalued on the internet in either direction. Being too pretty or not pretty enough can just stay an unknown factor.

This can allow women to become really comfortable in part because it is easy to forget that if the guys met you in real life (even if both parties are married) the regard they hold you in could be changed just by how you look.

So when something like the list described becomes prominent it is a reminder that even on a gaming site for many if not most of the men... looks are still most important thing in how we are valued. And this real world reminder can be very disconcerting and uncomfortable. Even for pretty women. More so for those of us who are not pretty.

Again... I would not have objected to the Geeklist. I long ago made as much peace as it is possible to make with the realty that I am always going to be devalued for not being "hot" and enjoy the pretty women in pictures because a thing of beauty is a joy to see.

PS - Men for all their griping about how looks matter for them too... it really isn't the same, which is why a "hot gamer husband" list is substantially different in tone and effect. Men generally are not objectified and while being a good looking guy has many perks... men are not devalued in virtually every aspect of life by society as a whole for not being handsome.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

You know, I've asked my wife a similar question: "there are other rooms in the house where I can take a dump; why not here in the kitchen?" Her answer is always something vague about there being a time & a place for everything--or that just because you can do a thing, that doesn't mean you should do it in front of company.

So a beauty contest is like taking a dump in the kitchen. I see. Wait. I don't.
Quote:

But never mind that. The whole concept of voting for the hottest-looking woman, and inviting comment on their appearance, seems to me to encourage an environment which is hostile to women.

What is hostile in giving thumbs up, saying 'she looks good'? And I'm also not speaking about 'I'd do her' comments which sadly appear at images but luckily there wasn't any at the geeklist. Is saying compliments to women hostile?

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone else, but I thumbed your wife because her hot personality really shone through in that picture. I totally hope she got more thumbs than Alexey's grandma, whose personality is obviously not hot.

I'm sorry but who said a beauty contest is about personality? As your clever wife said, there is a time & place for everything. If you really care what the personality of my wife is you can check these geeklists:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39705
and
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39704
You will learn about her surprising (to me) gaming preferences. But I'm not sure you do care.

(I guess you were thinking about the personality of that Busen memo's front cover girl when you were editing the microbadge about her breast, right?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Magnusson
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Is it the hottest WOMAN part you guys find detrimental to the site?

Would you find a hottest MAN, hottest LAYOUT, hottest HOUSE contest equally detrimental, or are your view on women just dangerously close to sexist?

Personaly I dont care one way or another about contest like this, what really gets me off is that it becomes an issue only because its about WOMEN.

I dont see the same amount of comments complaining that forinstance "this picture only gets thumbed because its a cute KID. It has nothing to do with this site, in fact, it is detrimental to this site".

I dont see the same amount of comments complaining at the detrimental aspects of having the hottest husband competion.

I think a few of the SHINING KNIGHTS of this site running the rescue the PRINCESSES, should really as themselves what their view on women are. If women freely wants to participate in this kind of thing, who are you to say they should not, claiming they are victims since they apparently do not follow the neopatriarchal norm you are wanting to force on them?

Honestly, I find it a bit disgusting when beta males trying to regain some pose of masculinty by playing the knight in shining armour at the cost of female liberation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lynette, thank you for your insights.
Meerkat wrote:
However I think Rusty makes a good point about women already being a smaller part of this community and the men here need to decide if they want to increase female participation than they need to be careful about fostering certain impressions.

I agree on that; I just happen to have been part of or known some societies and clubs where there were at least as many women as men - and no one thought a beauty contest is offensive at all.

And for the other part (really well said) :
While I agree in many aspect women are devalued by society for not being beautiful I must say none of my friends or colleagues really think looks of women are more important than their personality. When you see a beautiful girl you admire her look, you might have some sexual fantasies but she won't be the girl you will marry. Also when you are looking for a good worker then the breast size won't matter (and I'm not speaking about secretaries for some bosses). It wouldn't matter for me and wouldn't matter for anyone I know (although I have heard there are places where it does matter).
But this 'contest' wasn't a 'must take part and must be evaluated' nor a 'you can give thumbs down as well' contest. It was only about showing some nice ladies or ladies who we think are nice and collecting some compliments, some thumbs up (and I don't want to use the term thumb-whoring here). I don't think women should feel embarrassed if they don't (or they think can't) take part in a contest like this when they have other great abilities.
By the way not all of the 'contestants' looked like photo models but there were no rude words, only kind ones and lots of thumbs up for everyone. I'm sure if somebody placed your pic on the list you would have garnered lots of thumbs ups too. It wasn't a real contest even if the original poster offered gg for the one that gets most thumbs up; it was just a fun and really not harmful geeklist.

I can also say men are quite often (intentionally or unintentionally) evaluated by women based on how successful they are in life (it's not ONLY about money, but most women are more attracted to successful men - it's pure biology, just like men's attraction to long legs, wide hips and so on). Still I wouldn't want to delete a geeklist that, say, would be about the cars owned by geeks or the owners of the most games, even if I would think 'shit, why am I not so successful as they are?'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Miller
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what's worse than misogyny? Misogyny disguised as some sort of liberation, that's what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daisy Manning
Canada
Mount Pearl
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
s031720 wrote:
Would you find a hottest MAN, hottest LAYOUT, hottest HOUSE contest equally detrimental, or are your view on women just dangerously close to sexist?

Personally I would find a hottest MAN contest to be just as detrimental to the site. It fosters a sense that you need to look a certain way, or achieve a certain level of "hotness". I personally like this community because of it's acceptance and openness to everyone; why should we start destroying that view?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dresden
United States
Woodridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So let me get this straight.

Unless the original poster deleted it, enough people flagged that list as a rules violation and couldn't just hide it for themselves? I'm really curious as to which rule(s) this list violated.

Personally, I find ALOT of lists either inappropriate or WAY off topic. If I don't want myself or my kids to see them I flag it hidden for me only. There's definitely a decency line, but this one didn't come close to crossing it.

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.