Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steffen Beck
Germany
Passau
flag msg tools
designer
mb
should i buy Power Grid or keep Cuba?...we've played Cuba a couple of times and i though it was a very nice economics game...are they even comparable?...basically, i'm trying to cut my collection down to a few games that are very good in their area-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am biased towards against Power Grid, but still, my complaints against it is the games tak too long for what it does and if you mess up early on, you pay for that mistake for the rest of the game. The catchup mechanism is powerful, but still doesn't help against that.

While both have a concept of discarding one resource to get VP, in Power Grid, your VP is electros, which can actually be used for functional purposes, so it's definitely different in that regard

Cuba has more things going on in terms of ways to get points and and the various role selections.

EDIT: Clarified that statement even though I'm sure people understood what I meant by context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both, and I've rated cuba a 9 and Power Grid a 10. Cuba has a lot more going on, but I like the dynamic of Power Grid a little better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Edgar
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

tough choice. I have them both and really enjoy them both.

I have rated both of them a 9.

If I had to choose I would probably take Powergrid by a whisker - but it would be a really hard choice.

Both games are popular in my gaming group and get asked for regularly.

If you haven't played Powergrid yet then I suggest you find someone who has a copy so that you can play a game and see if you like it.

Paul E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb

Agreed. There are definitely times in Power Grid when you can see a few turns before the game is over that someone has the win and you have no choice but to go through the motions for the last few turns or be a poor sport and leave the game. (not that I'd ever do that but some in my groups have) There are some mistakes that you just can't recover from during the bidding phase for new plants. If you need that 6 city plant to meet your 17 capacity and there aren't any left/coming, or the leader has enough surplus money to make you pay too much for it, you can't win. Cuba tends to have much tighter finishes and doesn't penalize as heavily for mistakes, I'm not saying they don't matter but early on you can recover more easily in Cuba. I also don't think Power Grid is nearly as deep as Cuba, if you can count and do double digit addition you'll be fine. Most of the game comes down to bidding on plants to determine the winner in my experience. Most people of the dozen or so I play with prefer Power Grid though because it doesn't require as much strategy and is more of a "fun" game. I don't feel that the two games are really that similar though other than what has been stated already which is that they are both resource management games. I would recommend that you buy Puerto Rico instead of Power Grid if you don't already have it if you're looking to replace Cuba. If you do have Puerto Rico, swapping Cuba for Power Grid would be a good way to diversify your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sugadaddy wrote:
should i buy Power Grid or keep Cuba?...we've played Cuba a couple of times and i though it was a very nice economics game...are they even comparable?...basically, i'm trying to cut my collection down to a few games that are very good in their area-

I think they are both good enough and different enough to both warrant a space in your collection.

You only rate Cuba a 7 though, so I can see you may like Power Grid more .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they are particularly comparable - I think they scratch different itches. Cuba is probably closer to Puerto Rico than Power Grid.

Power Grid is a great game - better than Cuba if the ratings are any guide. I like them both but Cuba plays quicker and works with 2 (although Power Grid has a workable 2-player variant).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.