M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by the horror stories in the Who wants to change a diaper? I want to start a positive thread about kids. What's the funniest or most heart melting experience you owe your kids?

I think my 5 yr old daughter was inspired by the Tinker Bell movie.

One of the first blossumy spring days, we biked to her school as usual. She was on her small pink/orange kids bike with a basket attached to the steerage. She suddenly stopped at a big pink bush. The pavement was one big pink carpet. She said "Oh look daddy! Beautiful!" and filled her basket with small pink leaves. She got back on her bike again. While we peddled along, a steady cloud of pink leaves wirled around her, leaving a pink trail. Excited she exclaimed: "Look daddy, I'm spreading the spring!!" Judging by the smiles appearing on people's faces when we passed by, I think she might have been right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Most heart melting:

When I was holding my son in my lap and he was reading a book. He suddenly patted me on the knee, looked up at me, then smiled, and stood up and gave me a big hug (with a pat on the shoulder)!

Of course this morning, he was freaked out by the long sleeves on the shirt I put on him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaching way back when my son was in 1st grade (he's in 7th now) our kids attended "Sunday School" (a long story in itself but I digress).

Near Halloween, the teacher asked the kids to draw a picture of what they wanted to be on beggar's night and the kids went crazy with crayons, markers, paper, scissors, glue, glitter, etc.

I walked in to pick him up and the kids were sharing around the table their creations. There were princesses spreading the spring, ghouls, ghosts, mermaids, etc. and there is my son beaming with a wonderfully depicted werewolf with blood all over his mouth and clothes and in big letters with a giant red arrow pointing at the werewolf were the words: "Bloody Murderer"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
Reaching way back when my son was in 1st grade (he's in 7th now) our kids attended "Sunday School" (a long story in itself but I digress).

Near Halloween, the teacher asked the kids to draw a picture of what they wanted to be on beggar's night and the kids went crazy with crayons, markers, paper, scissors, glue, glitter, etc.

I walked in to pick him up and the kids were sharing around the table their creations. There were princesses spreading the spring, ghouls, ghosts, mermaids, etc. and there is my son beaming with a wonderfully depicted werewolf with blood all over his mouth and clothes and in big letters with a giant red arrow pointing at the werewolf were the words: "Bloody Murderer"

And that's why the Marquands had to find a different church.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
matthew.marquand wrote:

And that's why the Marquands had to find a different church.

Different church? I think different religion even.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it is any time my daughter spontaneously looks at me, hugs me, and says: "I love you Mom!"

It always catches me off guard and shocks me--in a very GOOD way!!

shake Kids are great!!!

kiss

Nice thread Kael!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man,

What a spot to be put in. My wife spins the best tales. Since I've got three and the oldest is in High School now I've got a lot and now I'm in brain lock to figure out which one to tell.

How about this one. We were at a restaurant sitting in a booth and for some reason my daughter decided to turn her back to us and sit on the edge of the table. We told her 'turn around and sit down'. She stood shrugged her shoulders and turned around and sat back down on the edge of the table (get turned around 360 degrees).

How about the one where this Christmas me 11 year old daughter made her wish list. It was $100, an i-Phone, a Kindle, or a chainsaw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
My son just turned 15 months, so I don't have much "thinking for himself" yet. But there is one episode that my wife and I think about.

We don't take Sammy to restaurants. He is a pill at them, as most 15 month children are - I think. Well I got invited to an employee leaving party at a restaurant and Sammy was requested to be there. The dinner started at 7pm, around his bed time. So Becky and I were basically going in being on guard for the eventual meltdown. But I tell you, the kid was great and didn't cause any ruckus at all. Proud Daddy moment.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the past couple years, we've been using NetFlix and Blockbuster to try to give our kids (9 and 12) some cultural literacy and expose them to some of the great Broadway musicals - such as Singin' in the Rain, Oklahoma!, The Music Man, The King and I, and others. Well, last week we got a UPS delivery at our house. Both kids and my wife went outside, excitedly, to see what it was. Suddenly, both kids started to break out in song (from The Music Man)...

"O-ho the Wells Fargo Wagon is a-comin' down the street.
Oh, don't let him pass my door!
O-ho the Wells Fargo Wagon is a-comin' down the street
I wish I knew what he was comin' for."

My wife was cracking up, and the UPS man was terribly confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly not the "funniest or most heart melting experience" I've had, but yesterday the 5-year-old said, "Dad...you're the funniest dad I ever had!"

So take that stupid unfunny mailman!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't have kids of my own, but I kind of raised my brother and one of my nephews for a while, so I have some funny stories.

First one of my brother's fine moments. He was 4 at the time and caught a VHS tape and started watching. Is was the tape with his birthday (a midsection) that my Dad did. All messy, bloody, you know the drill. He sat there and silently watched. When I came to the room and saw it I went fast and stopped the video. He looked at me:

Brother: What was that?
Me: Your birthday.
B: That was messy.
Me: Yeah a bit Are you scared?
B: No, I just don't want lunch.
Me: OK.
(this moment mom arrive at the scene, my brother goes to her)
B (all serious): Mom, if I have another brother, please, don't let daddy make the movie. Its too embarrassing for you.
Mom: *dumbfounded*
Me: 10 minutes laughing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Heartmelting for me: This happened last week. I received an email from my son's second grade teacher. She told me that a special education child had started spending part of the day in her class. She said that my son immediatley introduced himself to the other child the first day and invited him to sit with him at lunch. She said that everyday he makes sure to include him at recess and always plays with him, even if the other children are ignoring the boy. She said that child now absolutely adores my son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This past Sunday, my three-and-a-half month old daughter, Lirit, and I in our living room, with Mommy napping in the bedroom.

I turn on the game and start explaining to her, "This is Giants Football. Daddy likes Giants Football. You're going to like Giants Football, too.".

Just then, Eli puts up a TD pass to Manningham and Lirit looks up at Daddy and starts giggling . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I think it was about one year ago that we took our daughter (then 4.5yo) on a long bike ride after supper. Afterwards, we decided to stop by the store for a cup of ice cream (a rare treat in our household), and told our daugther so. Surprisingly, she wore a gloomy expression.

Me: What's wrong? I would expect some excitement to get some ice cream.

Daughter (almost with tears): I'm just feeling grateful to have such a nice home.

I cannot imagine a child saying anything else that could make an adoptive parent feel better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Scott Firestone IV wrote:
Certainly not the "funniest or most heart melting experience" I've had, but yesterday the 5-year-old said, "Dad...you're the funniest dad I ever had!"

How big is that pool of candidates, anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to think of a good heartwarming moment on demand! I know I've told stories about my daughters here before, but right now...hmmmm...Larry's story reminds me of a similar one from my daughter in kindergarten that made me very proud, where she got angry at her friends for teasing a girl who was a recent immigrant and didn't speak English very well, and she argued with them that they should stop. But mostly I remember doing things with my daughters and how fun it is to be hanging out with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the summer we took our godson (2 and a half) to the park, where they have a kids play area with a sand pit. So he asks me to draw pictures in the sand, then he'd rub it out and ask for another one:

"Flower"
"Cloud"
"Daddy"
"House"
"Girl on a motorbike" laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Every day is a heartwarming moment with my daughter. She's 3, and she's a gem. A day doesn't go by without her running up to me, hugging and kissing me, and telling me she loves me without provocation.

When she sits with me, she has her hands around me and one hand running through my hair, or rubbing my neck. She did this even as a toddler. Her first words were DaDa and she's been my whole life since the day she was born.

Here's a cute short story that I'll submit.

My wife and I had been fighting like mad all day. We sat down at the dinner table and were screaming back and forth, my wife of course was crying. My daughter Kayla was sitting between us eating quietly. At some point Kayla's name came up. My wife said, "She only picked that up because I made her!", at which point Kayla chimed in... "No! Jesus made me!". The fight instantly ended and we both fell out of our chairs laughing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
My younger son, Drew (3) is as sweet as can be. He's always telling me, "I love you." and "You're my Daddy!" It's the best.

He's also very funny. Here's a sample of some of the things he has said.

"I love you because you're the tallest guy in our family."

"I never want to stop eating biscuits."

"A pie in the face is better than a plate." (This was after a long list of foods that were better than other foods.)

"I want to eat that kind of bread that I've had 3 times that has 'cont' in it." (croissant)

Hmmm, there is a theme here.

"Now here's sports. Soccer soccer baseball baseball soccer." (when doing a pretend newscast)

This is my older son, Ben.

Here is a joke he made up when he was 3. (He had learned the names of many of the bird species in our field guides.)

Me: Look Ben, there's a purple finch.
(Bird lands on house nearby.)
Ben: Now it's a house finch!

He taught himself to read at age 3 by learning the names of those birds. It's really neat to watch them learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday Ella (4) said that she wants to marry Prince Phillip (from Sleeping Beauty).
Amber (2) said that she wants to marry Amy (also 2, her cousin).
Ella: "You can't marry Amy! You have to marry a stranger!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
Yesterday Ella (4) said that she wants to marry Prince Phillip (from Sleeping Beauty).
When my Ella was about 3, she asked what being married meant. I explained that it meant you lived with the person for the rest of your life. "Oh! I want to marry Mommy!" said Ella. I explained that she couldn't marry Mommy, because Mommy was already married to me; then Ella burst into tears, sobbing "But I want to marry Mommy! I want to marry Mommy!"

Finally I relented, told her "OK, if you really want to, you can marry Mommy when you grow up." Then she stopped crying and was happy again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bear Gordon
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We watched this crap movie "Swan Princess" on Netflix a few weeks ago.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the movie the prince practices this move where someone shoots an arrow at his back and he spins around, grabs the arrow and fires it with his own bow. Of course this is the move that he uses to kill the bad guy at the end.

My six year old son - "Well at least you got to use your crap move."

THAT'S MY BOY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter found some old memo pads from my work. They had "From the desk of Burke Nichols" printed on the top.

She looked at them and then told my wife, "WOW! Daddy must be pretty important to have his name on paper."

If only she knew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
1000rpm wrote:
When my Ella was about 3, she asked what being married meant. I explained that it meant you lived with the person for the rest of your life. "Oh! I want to marry Mommy!" said Ella. I explained that she couldn't marry Mommy, because Mommy was already married to me; then Ella burst into tears, sobbing "But I want to marry Mommy! I want to marry Mommy!"

Finally I relented, told her "OK, if you really want to, you can marry Mommy when you grow up." Then she stopped crying and was happy again.

Before Prince Phillip came along My Ella said that she wanted to marry me, her Daddy!
I told her I was already married to mummy but she saw that as no barrier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.