Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paolo Ciardulli
Italy
Trento
TN
flag msg tools
badge
May all beings be happy. Whatever beings there may be, whether they are weak or strong, without exception, long, big, medium, short or small, whether visible or invisible, those living near or far, those born or to-be-born, may all beings be happy!
mbmbmbmbmb

J.S.Bach gives one resource discount when building a theater. Can this discount be used when upgrading a theater?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
oceano wrote:

J.S.Bach gives one resource discount when building a theater. Can this discount be used when upgrading a theater?

No, I don't think so but I will have to check the rules to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
oceano wrote:

I believe this follows the same idea as Masonry where it reduces the cost of the building, and the upgrades are the difference between the costs. So if the costs for all buildings are reduced (as they are with Bach) then there is no reduction in upgrade cost.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts are the same as Geoffrey's. You can't use Masonry to upgrade a Level 1 building to a Level 2 building for one less rock, because it is assumed that you got that cost reduction when you built the Level 1 building in the first place. Now in actuality you may have bought that building for full price before playing Masonry, but as someone else put it once in this forum, the buildings have no memory. You may remember this, but the game does not.

I think it must be the same for Bach, and you can see why it would be this way. Otherwise, when it came time to upgrade that Opera house to a Movie theater, you would have to try to remember whether you already used Bach on that particular building, to upgrade it from a Drama theater. It's obvious you wouldn't be allowed to get the Bach reduction twice on the same building, and good game design doesn't leave these things up to players' memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have, ever, a specific cost to upgrade any building, every tech card just states the cost to BUILD that particular building/unit.

So, since Bach states that "theaters cost 1 less resource to build", it means that the cost to build them is: cost printed - 1.

This applies to all theaters, so there's no change in the cost to upgrade them, it's higher lvl cost - 1 - (lower lvl cost - 1) = higher lvl cost - lower lvl cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Ciardulli
Italy
Trento
TN
flag msg tools
badge
May all beings be happy. Whatever beings there may be, whether they are weak or strong, without exception, long, big, medium, short or small, whether visible or invisible, those living near or far, those born or to-be-born, may all beings be happy!
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks to all for the answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.