Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Rusnak
United States
Westchester
Illinois
flag msg tools
1870 rules Page 8, last two paragraphs of movement of share prices

"If a share value token is moved into a box where there are one or more tokens, the newly arriving token is place at the bottom of the stack of share value tokens that are already there.

A share value token does not move when a company declares a half dividend."

We had a situation where the Santa Fe & the GMAO started the round with a share value of 64 and the Burlington started with a share price of 60. Both theSanta Fe & GMAO held dividends and were placed under the Burlington. The person playing the Burlington stated, I want to go first next round so I'll pay a half dividend. At that point the presidents of the Santa Fe & GMAO, insisted that the Burlington half dividend would still be considered a movement so it would move from the top to the bottom of the stack. The president of the Burlington insisted the Burlington token would stay on top of the pile.

Who is right, the presidents of the Santa Fe & GMAO or the president of the Burlington?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Burlington president is correct. Staying in the same box on the stock market display is not movement and the tokens that moved into the box under his token would remain under his token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Its right there in the rules you quoted. "A share value token does not move when a company declares a half dividend."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Hrm... I disagree. I think that's a rules lawyer moment. The token still 'moves' just not out of the box, which is the intent of the rule, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:
Hrm... I disagree. I think that's a rules lawyer moment. The token still 'moves' just not out of the box, which is the intent of the rule, IMHO.

As clearclaw pointed out in the other thread asking this question, it makes sense that it should not move, since it preserves the principle that whichever token has been there longest is first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:

Um, no. This rule has been around since it first appeared in 1830 over 20 years ago and it has not, to the best of my knowledge, been changed in any 18xx title since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
Um, no. This rule has been around since it first appeared in 1830 over 20 years ago and it has not, to the best of my knowledge, been changed in any 18xx title since.

1830 has no option for half dividends. There are a number of games that have it now, but I believe that feature was first introduced in 1870.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We turn it over so show that it has run, but it stays on top of the stack. Price markers only go to the bottom of the stack when they change boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
derk wrote:

There is no clear intent of the rule. They had 2 reasonable choices:

1.) The token doesn't move.
2.) The token moves but doesn't leave the box.

Instead of defining what it means to 'move but not leave the box', Mayfair chose the simpler solution. Note: Mayfair has had almost 15 years to modify this rule, if they wanted a different interpretation of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Bearcat89 wrote:

1830 has no option for half dividends. There are a number of games that have it now, but I believe that feature was first introduced in 1870.

That's what I get for being vague...didn't mean half dividends, but tokens moving under a stack when they enter a box on the stock market.

Oh, and the rule DOES have a clear intent. It states that when a token MOVES INTO a box it goes to the bottom of the stack. Tokens that remain in the same box can roam around that box all they want but the do not MOVE INTO the box. They stay in the same relative position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Peristarkawan wrote:
As clearclaw pointed out in the other thread asking this question, it makes sense that it should not move, since it preserves the principle that whichever token has been there longest is first.

I see two mutually reinforcing principles here:

1) The token that has been in a slot the longest always goes first.
2) Tokens don't move (in any way) on half-dividends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.