United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Space Hulk did not include a $1500 voucher for a competitive army, I'll stay as a casual small scale 40K player with my 20 year old minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
You might want to try Warhammer 40,000: Assault On Black Reach, it has 2 armies and the basic rule book, everything you need to get started aside from paint and glue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you don't need that much 40k stuff to have a competitive force these days. Just take your time and enjoy the journey. £150 or so, spent over a several months, should buy you a full army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
Well, you don't need that much 40k stuff to have a competitive force these days. Just take your time and enjoy the journey. £150 or so, spent over a several months, should buy you a full army.

The FLGS by me has people fielding armies with 15 tanks. If you showed up with a few squads, you wouldn't be taken all that seriously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cadamec wrote:

Just curious how SH has affected every one elses interest in the 40k universe.

Reading the background story actually made me lose interest in the 40k universe. I prefer things being simple.

This is my version of the Background story.

Mission 1: SUICIDE MISSION

Seargeant: "Ok, chaps! First of all, let me apologize for your dislocated shoulders and the surgical removal of your necks. We just can't pay for redesign of those armors, budget cuts and all. Anyway, it's time to go to an actual mission!"

Everyone: "Yaay!"

Sergeant: "There's this old spaceship drifting by, see, and since it's kinda empty and all and we can, like, use it to look busy for our superiors and stroll around in it. You know, 'splore it and so on. Re-co-nai-ssance and stuff. So we will go, check it out a bit, perhaps blow some stuff up. You know, the usual.".

Private Bob: "Is it safe in there, sarge?"

Sergeant: "Sure, sure. Well.. there is a slight possibility of it containing fourty thousand blood-thirsty four-armed aliens, but it's not a prob. We do have these impenetrable armors, right, and you know.. those babies do not proudly carry their 'Made in Taiwan' stickers for nothing!"

Private Jenkins: "Sarge, this flamer thingie I bought on eBay finally arrived.. can I test it out?"

Sergeant: "Of course! So that's settled. We move in, watch private Jenkins' fireworks display, then we go back. Everyone ok with this? I'll carry this giant sword so you can take some cool pics of me for my Dungeons and Dragons gaming group. OK, let's.. what's the matter, Private Steve?"

Private Steve: "Umm..how exactly do you pee in this armor, sarge?"

Sergeant: (sigh) "We went over this, already, geez.. just pull the second skull under your right shoulder while jingling the golden thingamajig on your head, this will extend the catheter."

Private Steve: "Right sarge. Sorry sarge!"

Sergeant: "OK people, let's go! Move it, move it, move it...."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It didnt get me into 40k. (I had 2nd ed) But it *did* get me interested in using figures from the 40k line with the Space Hulk. 1st ed went very far for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always liked the models since back to Rogue Trader, especially the marines and the guard's armored vehicles, however the expense and the people I saw playing it both kept me from ever building an army up. If I could play casually with friends, that might have been a different story, but none ever got seriously in to it either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've experimented with GW miniature games in the past and frankly I don't think they are very good games. The models are awesome they just don't have an awesome game to go with them.

What SH has created in me is a desire for GW to make good games that I can play with 40K minis. Maybe a game system based on SH where small squads do battle in narrow corridors or a smaller scale tactical war game played on a grid like Tide of Iron or Memoir '44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great_Mazinga wrote:
..., however the expense and the people I saw playing it both kept me from ever building an army up. .

lol, mind explaining what kind of people were they? Propabyl the ones like in Space Hulk , saying you can do 24 actions in response for 1 Genestelaer action and waving madly the rulebook accusing you to bend the rules

Well of yourse , that Space Hulk while being the best game on earth is also much better than Warhammer 40 k.

After seeing and playing space hulk, it made me collect the armies of Blood Angels, than when it was monstrous enough, the Tyranids, than Chaos (so i can play the SpaceHulk Chaos terminator missions) as i had a lot unused terminators from Space Hulk screaming for conversion, also because they were crappy before the 5+ invulnerable rule.
My mad collectors mania halted on Dark Elves - in spite of the best prerequisites: darl elves still in sprues from WH40h 3ed. and dark elves missions from Space Hulk

Now i stopped playing wh40k but still am into Space Hulk more than ever. So here is the answer for you

PS - i will never forget my 1st glued space marines squad wiht Mephiston facing an d rolling dices against "imaginary" Hive Tyrant.... Yeah, it was the coolest few seconds in a few years of collecting that metal GW crap for warhammer 40k. Long live Space Hulk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have the cool looking models from GW that I just buy and pain and then sometimes use in other stuff like D&D or just as trophies

I've played Warhammer and found that for this kinda stuff war games are much better than minature games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Biernat
Poland
Dabrowa Gornicza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
cadamec wrote:

Just curious how SH has affected every one elses interest in the 40k universe.

Reading the background story actually made me lose interest in the 40k universe. I prefer things being simple.

This is my version of the Background story.

Mission 1: SUICIDE MISSION

Seargeant: "Ok, chaps! First of all, let me apologize for your dislocated shoulders and the surgical removal of your necks. We just can't pay for redesign of those armors, budget cuts and all. Anyway, it's time to go to an actual mission!"

Everyone: "Yaay!"

Sergeant: "There's this old spaceship drifting by, see, and since it's kinda empty and all and we can, like, use it to look busy for our superiors and stroll around in it. You know, 'splore it and so on. Re-co-nai-ssance and stuff. So we will go, check it out a bit, perhaps blow some stuff up. You know, the usual.".

Private Bob: "Is it safe in there, sarge?"

Sergeant: "Sure, sure. Well.. there is a slight possibility of it containing fourty thousand blood-thirsty four-armed aliens, but it's not a prob. We do have these impenetrable armors, right, and you know.. those babies do not proudly carry their 'Made in Taiwan' stickers for nothing!"

Private Jenkins: "Sarge, this flamer thingie I bought on eBay finally arrived.. can I test it out?"

Sergeant: "Of course! So that's settled. We move in, watch private Jenkins' fireworks display, then we go back. Everyone ok with this? I'll carry this giant sword so you can take some cool pics of me for my Dungeons and Dragons gaming group. OK, let's.. what's the matter, Private Steve?"

Private Steve: "Umm..how exactly do you pee in this armor, sarge?"

Sergeant: (sigh) "We went over this, already, geez.. just pull the second skull under your right shoulder while jingling the golden thingamajig on your head, this will extend the catheter."

Private Steve: "Right sarge. Sorry sarge!"

Sergeant: "OK people, let's go! Move it, move it, move it...."

I find WH40k universe to be silly and dumb, so I tend to stay away from the franchise. I used to own 1st edition of Space Hulk and reading the background story made me hate the game, and I ended up trading it.
YOUR background story for the 1st mission is so kickass that I would buy this game again if you were the mission designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Slev wrote:

The FLGS by me has people fielding armies with 15 tanks. If you showed up with a few squads, you wouldn't be taken all that seriously.

That would only be legal in an Apocalypse game, which is a special scenario in the first place, which removes the normal restrictions. This doesn't happen in vanilla 40k.

There is also a difference between power gamers and the majority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
That would only be legal in an Apocalypse game, which is a special scenario in the first place, which removes the normal restrictions. This doesn't happen in vanilla 40k.

There is also a difference between power gamers and the majority.

Actually, these guys are the "casual gamers", that's why they remove the restrictions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget you can always play 40k with smaller armies. There are rules for "40K in 40 Minutes" which are posted on GW site for armies of 400 points. A lot of fun. You don't need gobs of models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Palpatine wrote:
Don't forget you can always play 40k with smaller armies. There are rules for "40K in 40 Minutes" which are posted on GW site for armies of 400 points. A lot of fun. You don't need gobs of models.

Any chance you have a link to that? Sounds real interesting to me, but I can't find it on there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
The 40K background fluff is fairly silly, but no sillier than any other fantasy / sci fi setting. I like it, and it's a lot more original than a lot of other sci fi backgrounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... you're right. It is no longer on the site.
PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy of my PDF.
Cheers
Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fong Weihong
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to pick up some 40k novels I'd recommend stuff by Dan Abnett, especially Eisenhorn. Stay well clear of CS Goto. And the Space Hulk novel was pretty bland, glad I got it for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk, Advanced Space Crusade and Warhammer Quest were all games that really for me opened up the floodgates of potential to use the minis from the wargames in something other than wargames. Necromunda and Bloodbowl as well to a lesser degree.

And the original Rogue Trader and even 2nd ed were based around much smaller units. Its not till later that the armies grew and grew.

rayito2702 wrote:
I've experimented with GW miniature games in the past and frankly I don't think they are very good games. The models are awesome they just don't have an awesome game to go with them.

What SH has created in me is a desire for GW to make good games that I can play with 40K minis. Maybe a game system based on SH where small squads do battle in narrow corridors or a smaller scale tactical war game played on a grid like Tide of Iron or Memoir '44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No urge to play... only to invest in more miniatures for SH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:

As an avid 40k player with several armies, I agree. The real issue is that it's not simply a game, but an entire hobby, and a 'lifestyle' hobby at that. (This aspect kept me away from it for several years.) The 'game' is almost an afterthought -- something cool to do with your minis for an afternoon or evening. The real appeal is in the modeling, painting & scenery fabrication. Those are the aspects I enjoy most, which is a good thing: I typically spend a month of nights quietly absorbed in making tiny mens' silver pants blue for a single night of tabletop battle.

If you're just there for the game, it's thin & there are much better choices out there. If you enjoy the hobby entire -- modeling, painting and building little blown-up houses -- the game is like playing with a museum diorama, an art show where you get to show off your work even as you marvel at what others have done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats some great work there, Chris! Especially like that Baphomet.

Is that a Genestealer head on a Chaos Terminator body?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! It's a Genestealer head on a Khârn the Betrayer body (he also has a tail). I do stuff like that so I can use models across several armies: Tyranids --> Genestealer Cult --> Chaos Space Marines --> Daemons.

Also, in the background there's an Epic 40k-scale hierophant that I use as a Hive Tyrant. I like to use rules similar to the Chaos Space Marine Greater Daemon summoning & check every turn to see if the Magus turns inside out and explodes into that... thing. Makes for fun games where everyone's trying to pop the Magus before he metamorphoses.

Decidedly not tournament legal, but good times nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you're not dead set on 40k and don't want to paint tons of minis AT-43 is a recent, supported, pre-painted sci-fi miniature game. I haven't played it myself to comment on the rules and other aspects, but there seems to be a solid following and quite a bit of good things said about it. Most of the negatives being, well, about how pre-painted minis are destroying the hobby by taking out the "hobby" (i.e. painting and modeling) aspects. I'm told that the figures take paint fairly well if you decide you'd prefer to apply your own paint job as well.

From what I've heard if this is a game you want to get into don't buy the starter box unless you really want to play one of the forces in it. The popular suggestion seems to be that you ought to just buy an army box (which, I believe comes with starter rules roughly equivalent to what you get in the starter box) and the main rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Slev wrote:

I'm a frequent visitor to the Baltimore Battle Bunker, and I never see anything like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.