Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Soda Accessories - There's an unwritten law in New York that every bottle of soda purchased must come with a bag, a straw and several napkins. I really don't need that many accessories for refreshment. Generally, I'm happy with something liquid and a receptacle to hold it in. The napkins get soggy (and besides, I have sleeves), straws can be cumbersome (they float) and a bag is redundant. If I wanted those things, I'd just ask for them. Perhaps you can stop giving them out and use all that saved cash on making sure the fridge is actually cold.

2. The Jelly Bean Jar - A coworker got a new jar to hold her jelly beans. When they roll around, they sound more like marbles. The other day, she was rolling the jar around while constantly taking jelly beans out and throwing them back in for 20 minutes. The noise was unbearable. I had to shout "someone really wants a broken jelly bean jar" before she finally stopped. Her excuse for all the noise in the first place? "I wanted to get all the red ones."

3. Photoshop Grievances, Part 1: Locked Backgrounds - When flattening an image, the layer that results is always classified as a locked background. Why does it have to be locked? What's wrong with just having an unlocked layer hovering over the checkered void of transparency? Usually I have to copy the background, then delete the original to achieve this effect, something that costs me at least 3 seconds of my day.

4. Photoshop Grievances, Part 2: Slices - Often clients will send me PSDs from their creative team for me to work my magic on for my own evil purposes. I get everything all set, click "Save for Web and Devices", and feel my resolve die a little when slices are revealed on the preview panel. (For those unaware, slices are a way to save multiple sections of a Photoshop doc at once instead of constant cropping and resaving.) While slices are great time savers for folks, it doesn't fit in with my job. I just wish I could turn them off from the preview pane rather than cancelling the save, clearing slices in the regular mode, then having to click "Save for Web and Devices" again. This costs me around 6 seconds of my life. Yes, this is twice as bad as locked backgrounds.

5. Logging Into My Bank Account - I'm a fan of online banking if only to keep tabs on my accounts. Problem is, my bank only allows me to do this from one computer. If I try to log in from a different computer, it won't let me until the bank sends me an email and I confirm. Then I can log in again. Of course, I have to repeat the process again if I log back in from my regular computer again. Since I usually log in from work, I'm generally left in the dark over the weekends because unlike Photoshop, my bank isn't worth my precious seconds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Stewart
Canada
Grand Bay-Westfield
NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
3. Photoshop Grievances, Part 1: Locked Backgrounds - When flattening an image, the layer that results is always classified as a locked background. Why does it have to be locked? What's wrong with just having an unlocked layer hovering over the checkered void of transparency? Usually I have to copy the background, then delete the original to achieve this effect, something that costs me at least 3 seconds of my day.

I think that you can acheive what you want by holding alt and double clicking the locked layer. It unlocks it for you.

That's if I understand you correctly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
1. Soda Accessories - There's an unwritten law in New York that every bottle of soda purchased must come with a bag, a straw and several napkins. I really don't need that many accessories for refreshment. Generally, I'm happy with something liquid and a receptacle to hold it in. The napkins get soggy (and besides, I have sleeves), straws can be cumbersome (they float) and a bag is redundant. If I wanted those things, I'd just ask for them. Perhaps you can stop giving them out and use all that saved cash on making sure the fridge is actually cold.

wow. I've had clerks sometimes try and give the bottle to me in a bag, but usually a quick, "no..that's ok" will stop them and I can go on my way with just my 20 oz of cola and nothing else. I've never even seen a straw in a bottle in real life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
JordanZS wrote:
Quote:

I think that you can acheive what you want by holding alt and double clicking the locked layer. It unlocks it for you.

I just have to double-click the layer, but I'm just using CS...for now.

Could I request Erak to add "in today's economy" to the list. It seems to get thrown around a lot here on campus. I bet if I were to ask the people using the phrase to explain to me today's economy that at least half of them wouldn't know what to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

1a. Mixed Drink Accessories - I neither want nor need a straw and/or fruit in my bourbon and coke, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

And I thought the silliness of Wendy's giving me straws when I don't get a drink, but get a frosty was bad.

erak wrote:
2. The Jelly Bean Jar - A coworker got a new jar to hold her jelly beans. When they roll around, they sound more like marbles. The other day, she was rolling the jar around while constantly taking jelly beans out and throwing them back in for 20 minutes. The noise was unbearable. I had to shout "someone really wants a broken jelly bean jar" before she finally stopped. Her excuse for all the noise in the first place? "I wanted to get all the red ones."

I'm a Gobstobber and Runts fan, but I hate making a ton of noise trying to get them out of the box. I guess I'm considerate. I'm sure if I spent 20 minutes doing it, I'd be dead by now.

erak wrote:
5. Logging Into My Bank Account - I'm a fan of online banking if only to keep tabs on my accounts. Problem is, my bank only allows me to do this from one computer. If I try to log in from a different computer, it won't let me until the bank sends me an email and I confirm. Then I can log in again. Of course, I have to repeat the process again if I log back in from my regular computer again. Since I usually log in from work, I'm generally left in the dark over the weekends because unlike Photoshop, my bank isn't worth my precious seconds.

I'd be looking for a new bank. Well I'm always looking for a new bank, because all banks seem to have something that sucks about them. I love how they hold MY MONEY hostage. Just like the IRS. Imagine if the IRS owned a bank?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

4. Photoshop Grievances, Part 2: Slices - Often clients will send me PSDs from their creative team for me to work my magic on for my own evil purposes. I get everything all set, click "Save for Web and Devices", and feel my resolve die a little when slices are revealed on the preview panel. (For those unaware, slices are a way to save multiple sections of a Photoshop doc at once instead of constant cropping and resaving.) While slices are great time savers for folks, it doesn't fit in with my job. I just wish I could turn them off from the preview pane rather than cancelling the save, clearing slices in the regular mode, then having to click "Save for Web and Devices" again. This costs me around 6 seconds of my life. Yes, this is twice as bad as locked backgrounds.

Erik, pretty much this whole list is annoying me. I don't understand why you have these issues with Photoshop and I don't understand why your bank's website is basing security off your IP address.

Just stop it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This post makes me so mad, I had to reply again. AND I un-thumbed you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eggplantia5 wrote:
This post makes me so mad, I had to reply again. AND I un-thumbed you.

She's not kidding people. Here's our IM conversation before she posted this:

Quote:
eggie: i don't get why you have to clear your slices to save for web
eggie: i also don't understand why you can only log into your bank account from one computer. that makes no sense.
erak: it's a security measure
eggie: ........
erak: basically, one IP is set as the home computer
eggie: you don't have a username and password?
erak: i do
eggie: an IP is the WORST security measure ever
erak: but when i log in from a different IP, that's when that rings a bell
erak: i just wish i could set two of them so logging in from work and home isn't so annoying
eggie: what? that makes no sense.
erak: ask [my bank]... explaining it bores me now
eggie: it doesn't make any sense and i hate it.
eggie: i hate this whole conversation.
eggie: [your bank] is stupid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
JordanZS wrote:

THANK YOU.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
#1. Ppl who claim that "I've been into Texas Hold em' LONG before it became popular, I swear."

#2. Girls who state their "Favorite song" as, whatever fucking song is the most popular song on the planet at that particular point.

#3. 13yr old girls who wear skinny jeans, punky hair, listen to Good Charlotte, and think it's cool to label themselves NERDS. (My half sister...)

#4. Wives who play nice and pretend everythings cool when you spend all day in your underware on the couch watching TV, then the next day rip you apart for it because it was all apart of their master plan to use things like that against you to make you look like a useless dick to other ppl. angry

#5. Everyone who wears their hair like this...

Seriously... come on... that CAN'T be comfortable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figsak wrote:
#1. Ppl who claim that "I've been into Texas Hold em' LONG before it became popular, I swear."

Far worse are the people who tell you all about their bad beats. It's even worse than people who tell you about their dreams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still mad at this post. I don't even know why anymore. This post is my new nemesis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
It's even worse than people who tell you about their dreams.

Last night, I dreamt I was eating a giant marshmallow. When I woke up, my pillow was gone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

My bank and I have an understanding: they don't care which computer I access my account from and I don't call the police when they rape me with their fees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Figsak wrote:
#5. Everyone who wears their hair like this...

Seriously... come on... that CAN'T be comfortable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

That is shocking. I know - when I log into my bank from a different-than-usual computer, it asks me security questions that I've set up.

But, then, it's fine.

I'd definitely find another bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Gonna hook this annoyance to the erak-train rather start my own thread:

Guys who wear pin-stripe pants, but not as part of a pin-stripe suit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:

Gonna hook this annoyance to the erak-train rather start my own thread:

Guys who wear pin-stripe pants, but not as part of a pin-stripe suit.

Uh-oh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.