"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Is it the same or different from the trade paperback? Was it in the story telling? The plot? The art? Feel free to put the answers in a spoiler box.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
1.Batman: Yes we get it, you are a rebel, dark and brooding. You can't be a pal, while telling superman you aren't the pal kinda guy.
2.Superman. Why are you the only one on the planet that thinks Lex is a maniacal evil dood...even after the 1000 times he's proven he's evil in the past.
5. What's up with the random superheroes showing up in these made for DVD events? They are so out of place in the story. Need more heroes? Pick from the bag of superheroes.
6. What's up with the random badguys. See #5.
7. What's up with the oddball super brilliant Japanese fandom guy. And he just happens to have a giant robot that looks like a weird fusion of batman and superman handy that can stop the giant sized chunk of kryptonite. It was just random, and weird.
7a. A giant ball of Kryptonite. Why is the remainder of Krypton always made of Kryptonite? And why does every part of this lost planet on the far side of the galaxy always seemed to be hurling towards earth?
8. The story has not cohesion, and no real plot. Just a typical session of hey there's evil and a plot to destroy the world, I save the world, and stop evil. *YAWN*!
9. Animation. It's the same animation you'd find on any typical Saturday morning cartoon, except this time they doubled up on the muscles on everyone. Not paying DVD prices for that.
Apart from the bit about the animation, these are the same complaints I had with the trade paperback. I know that there are some die-hard fans of the source material here, but I couldn't stand it. The writing was... basic at best - the "plot" of the book could have been summed up in a short paragraph. It feels like they handed an 8 year old some pencil and paper, a list of minor DC characters, and told him, "Go nuts, kid."
I guess it just goes to show how out of touch with the DC universe I am - I didn't recognize any of the characters who weren't Batman, Superman, or Lex.