Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary McCammon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Mage" vs. "Spellcaster":

Many units have one designator or the other, and some Artifacts are described as requiring a "Mage" to activate, but the list of keywords in the rules doesn't mention either word.

I'm figuring "Mage" and "Spellcaster" are the same, enabling a unit with either keyword to use Artifacts descibed as "Mage:" (if they also fulfill the other criteria, such as "Hero", and to act as proxies for casting Spells in their controller's Spell Reserve.

A quick list of "Hero Mage:" Artifacts and the units capable of using them:

Staff of Power, Orb of Farseeing, Grimore of Forbidden Lore, Tome of Knowledge, Mirror of Life Trapping, Wand of Illusions, Staff of Healing

Elf Lord, Shaman, Mind Flayer, Lich, Magician, and of course all Archmagi.

The "Ancient Scrolls" Artifact also mentions "mage", so I will assume any unit with a keyword "Mage" or "Spellcaster", as well as the Archmagi, can use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McCammon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. Evidently "Priest" is also a similar keyword; i.e., just a synonym for "Spellcaster". Thus I stand by my conclusion: Priest = Mage = Spellcaster.

Now, of course, what's needed is variant rules to distinguish these categories - for example, say, a Priest may "turn" Undead units, causing them to be moved out of an active battle hex where the Priest is into any adjacent hex owned by their controller - and if there is no adjacent friendly hes to retreat to they are instead destroyed. (Mind you, there's only three "Priest" units in the game, and two of them are Archmagi, so this ability isn't horribly overpowered.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.