Subject: three player magic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Sturm
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
Does anyone know any good three player variants? I have two friends that play magic regularly and we're not big fans of melee. We actually cooked up one variant that we like a lot. (It could be we have just stumbled upon something that other folks have been playing for years, but hey, it's new to us.)

We attack a direction. ie. A can only attack B and B can only attack C and C can only attack A. If A kills B then A wins and B & C both lose. This leads to some very interesting situations where you have to help the person attacking you because they are in danger of getting killed by the person attacking them. (Of course, everyone can still cast spells on everyone else's stuff.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
We play "Attack Left" all the time with 4 or more. Although you have to be the last man standing to win.
With 3 we generally play melee, although I like the "first kill" version you describe. Might have to give it a go next time we have only 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I really like your idea - it's like a 3-player variation on 'Star' format.

The only games I know for 3 folk are last-man standing, with either attack left/right only or attacking either way. If one player is better than the other two, you can always play single man vs a 2-headed giant (maybe start the single guy at 30 life, but thereafter the team has a massive advantage - double mana, double the cards etc.).

I honestly think that you may have found the best 3-player Magic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! I've got one.

It's not too different from what you described. I call it predator and prey, and it's based off of Vampire: The Eternal Struggle.

Players attack to the left. The player on your left is your "prey" and the player on the right is your "predator". When a player dies, that player's "predator" gains a bonus of 5 life and draws two cards (you can adjust this reward with your group if you want).

In a three player game, last player standing wins. With more players, each time a player dies, that player's predator gets a victory point. The last player alive also gets a victory point, and whoever has the most victory points at the end of the game wins.

Another variant to my variant involves creating a "boon deck". it is a small deck of maybe twenty 2-3 mana spells. Instead of the 5 life, 2 card gain a predator gets for killing their prey, the player draws three of the boon cards and chooses two to play for free. The third card is just discarded. (Potential boon cards: Nessian Courser, Stone Rain, Inspiration, Terminate, Nourish)

This is usually how I play when playing with three or more. It doesn't discourage aggression as much as some other three player formats, but it still allows room for control-based decks (I think your suggestion would really discourage control decks). The boon gained for killing your prey can be modified, to encourage more or less aggression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sturm
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone, It's cool hearing about all the different variants. Might give us some new stuff to try. It's funny but I had never even thought about the possability of doing last man standing. The predator prey thing is another neat adaptation. The only concern I have vs the way we play is in last man standing there is potential for one of the players, (first one killed,) to be bored for awhile while the other two finish up. But even so, I think it is worth a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sturm
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
The 2 on 1 is also interesting. In a larger group I have once before tried 3 on 2 with a similar extra life bonus to the 2 team. We found that unless the 2 are dramatically better than the 3, it usually turns into a route pretty quick. (I might be wrong, but I would think that issue could be even more magnified in 1 on 2.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play "Politics". You can attack anybody, and the game finishes when somebody dies. The winner is the player who has the most life at that moment. It is a bit biased to the white (gaining enough life in the very last moment is a simple way to win), but if the decks are uneven, you just have to gang up against the player with the best deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonicbites wrote:
The 2 on 1 is also interesting. In a larger group I have once before tried 3 on 2 with a similar extra life bonus to the 2 team. We found that unless the 2 are dramatically better than the 3, it usually turns into a route pretty quick. (I might be wrong, but I would think that issue could be even more magnified in 1 on 2.)

It was more a suggestion than anything. Unfortunately, I don't get to try casual magic very often. I do think 2v1 would work well if the 2 haven't played much magic at all but if there's less discrepancy between skill, maybe give some other handicap?

Maybe also allow the lone player to draw 2 cards rather than 1?

Given their hand-size limit of 7 and their inability to play 2 lands a turn, they're still at a disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Treat
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Three-Headed In-Fighting (and other three-player game formats)
http://goblinartisans.blogspot.com/2016/11/three-headed-in-f...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.