United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThoughtHammers latest ad states.

"21st Century Games"
"19th Century Prices"

Well, I just tried to order a copy of 'Endeavor' and pay 2 pigs & a goat but I've been refused. There isn't even a 'Haggle' option.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:

"21st Century Games"
"19th Century Prices"

Well, I just tried to order a copy of 'Endeavor' and pay 2 pigs & a goat but I've been refused. There isn't even a 'Haggle' option.

That's ridiculous! You are paying far too much. A jug of goat's milk is more than enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:

"21st Century Games"
"19th Century Prices"

You belong in chit chat. We'll be nice, I promise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:

I've considered going there a few times. But I heard the story about GROGnads, the duck and the toilet brush. I have been terrified step foot in the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

I've considered going there a few times. But I heard the story about GROGnads, the duck and the toilet brush. I have been terrified step foot in the place.
Nah, Groggy is fun, as long as you don't try to actually understand him. The duck is harmless fun and I guess you lost me on the toilet brush. Just keep your fingers out of Chapel's reach and you'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even want to tell you what they did when I tried to tender Prussian marks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
solove wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

Nah, Groggy is fun, as long as you don't try to actually understand him. The duck is harmless fun and I guess you lost me on the toilet brush. Just keep your fingers out of Chapel's reach and you'll be fine.

Has anyone made a dibs for his soul yet?

If not: dibs on his soul.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
solove wrote:

"21st Century Games"
"19th Century Prices"

Personally I was deeply offended by its depiction of women, it's just racist ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could exchange a soul for a copy of Endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thron
United States
Caldwell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:

"21st Century Games"
"19th Century Prices"

Funniest...and funnest...post of the week so far. Have a small % of the small % of GG I own for the laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:

-DK

Sorry David, I traded my soul last week to ensure I'd get the games I wanted in the European Math Trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
solove wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

And Chapel receives no thumbs from me in this thread.

The rest of you receive a zero.

Yes, I stole them both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:
DKahnt wrote:

-DK

Sorry David, I traded my soul last week to ensure I'd get the games I wanted in the European Math Trade.

Damn...

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a bunch of pfennings, anyone know if they take payment in 20th century coins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Let me pull out my Confederate currency!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I would like to thank this thread for helping me reach 3000 thumbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
19th Century prices?

If someone tried to sell a game made of cardboard and plastic in the 19th century for $100 USD / £73 (as people seem to be selling Space Hulk for), they'd laugh in your face.

A fairly well-off middle class household made £200-300 circa 1825. Imagine spending 26-36% of your yearly gross income on a boardgame!

Labourers and unskilled workers made between £25 and £75 around 1825. You think you have it bad trying to explain to the wife your most recent game purchase? Try spending your whole annual salary on one.

(yes, I know that the ad is using hyperbole... I'm not humourless. I just think it's amazing how much prices have changed in 185 years)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:

I believe that would fall into the 16th century prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Vafai
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kozure wrote:
19th Century prices?

If someone tried to sell a game made of cardboard and plastic in the 19th century for $100 USD / £73 (as people seem to be selling Space Hulk for), they'd laugh in your face.

A fairly well-off middle class household made £200-300 circa 1825. Imagine spending 26-36% of your yearly gross income on a boardgame!

Labourers and unskilled workers made between £25 and £75 around 1825. You think you have it bad trying to explain to the wife your most recent game purchase? Try spending your whole annual salary on one.

(yes, I know that the ad is using hyperbole... I'm not humourless. I just think it's amazing how much prices have changed in 185 years)

Actually, they said 19th Century prices, not costs. The grammatical assumption is that their prices are adjusted to 19th Century cost ratios.

Now, what was that about them selling Space Hulk for 10$ or a wedge of cheese?

Let me note that I would gladly trade Endeavor for two pigs and a goat- that's a ridiculous profit margin you're offering.

Besides, I'm hungry.

sisteray wrote:
joshp wrote:

I believe that would fall into the 16th century prices.

Given current prices you could trade your soul for a copy of [Insert your most loathed game here]. But then, that's a given, isn't it?

Have to miss the values of the 16th century, when you could trade your soul for a title of nobility or the comforts of 'divine grace'.

Nowadays you have to sell everyone else's souls for that sort of gain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I tried to exchange someone turned into a 'newt' for a "game", yet I got NO "barter"! soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Vafai
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, judging by the absurdity of your attempt, you managed to at least get the fun half of "Barter".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.