5 Posts

Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: mortar spotting and rubble creation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Entner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious as to why mortar spotting (C3I #21 variant rules) is activated via a fire order versus an artillery request order (for CC:EM). It would seem more like an artillery request order than a (direct-)fire, only the artillery is now on-board rather than off-board.

A second question along these lines: for rubble creation (C3I #21 variant rules or BP2 rules), off-board artillery of blast 8 or 9 can create rubble, but on-board mortars of the same blast numbers cannot do so (as they are not "guns" per the definition). This seems like an inconsistency to me -- what is the thinking behind this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stosser
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortars are usually organic to the unit in the game. There is no decision needed, like non-organic artillery batteries, as whether or not to fire the requested mission for a particular unit.
Mortars get a fire request from their line units, they fire! That's why they are loved so much by their infantrymen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
entner wrote:
for rubble creation (C3I #21 variant rules or BP2 rules), off-board artillery of blast 8 or 9 can create rubble, but on-board mortars of the same blast numbers cannot do so

This is the difference between a single weapon firing at a building over time and an entire battery of guns pummeling it all at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Entner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers, they do clear up my questions. The frustrating part is having artillery requests and no fire cards, and not being able to use the mortars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
The point of the Combat Commander system is to frustrate players.

That's why I like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.