Popular Tags: [View All]
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'd like to have an answer to the question above, that would be very nice. I played Battle Lore quite a bit, first I liked it, then I started to be annoyed by the fantasy theme and the lore systen. Now, final try for the C&C system with 'Ancients'. We played scenario 1, and... it was really very boring!

I still want to give the game a try! Could you name me 1 or 2 scenarios which are really fun and allow good tactics or strategies? Scenario 1 was: run to the middle (with regarding support, of course), and throw dice...

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Most of the scenarios from expansion 2. Otherwise I don't remember off the top of my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Nope. I played scenario 1 the other week and it is most defintely NOT run to the middle to fight - as is the game in general. New players make that mistake, I made it too, but it is a game of manoeuvre more than anything. There is so much more to the game than you realise and even after many plays I feel like I'm barely scratching the surface.

Try one of the more unusual scenarios utilising terrain if an open plains one is too simplistic for you. Keep playing, though: C&C is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giuseppe armagno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hello Mavo ...

maybe the game, or the system, you do not like:

Every single player has in his mind a perfect game, and based on this idea classifies games that test.

So can it be that CCA is a game not suited to your needs. zombie

CCA did not apply many strategies, mainly because it's a tactical game, so they are important cards in your hand and the ability of to move and to fight of your troops (which are quite numerous in CCA).

I can say that on some occasions, the combination of cards and roll of the dice make a game boring or even ridiculous; but they are rare exceptions.

Usually, the games are quite balanced and we need a clever tactic to succeed in defeating the enemy.

We encourage you to make a game on the online platform Vassal and play 4 or 5 games before giving a final decision on the game.

If even then you will have a negative opinion, there is no scenario that could change your mind headlights.

Hello and good game. Aringarosa. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for you opinions. I will for sure five C&C a few more tries.

One thing I'm really eager to know: You said that even the first scenario has a lot in it. So: how do you play it? What are you strategies/tactics? What am I missing about it? I'm also moving my troops ordered in groups to the front, while shooting sometimes with my ranged combat units. But then, once there, it seems more like a dicefest than anything else... Maybe I do not get something about it. Could you help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Obviously there are a limited number of approaches to any scenario but in the game I played recently, for example, my opponent deployed as follows:

I grouped my flank forces into the centre but didn't advance at all; he advanced in piecemeal groups without any clear coherence. This might have worked except he didn't focus on one to punch into my line at a weaker spot but chopped and changed between several, allowing me to group my army into a single cohesive unit. Once that happened I steamrollered right over him.

As this, as in many scenarios, only needed 5 flags for victory it can actually be quite simple to target weak spots and thump them to put you within 1 or 2 of a win. The difficulty, I have always found, is the use of light troops. Medium and heavy are easy but it is light that appear in large numbers of using/protecting them effectively are key.

Play some more, you will see the nuances of the game emerge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giuseppe armagno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hello Mayo,

I do not think you're doing something wrong in adopting the right tactics, and even the wrong impression that when the Units came in contact, looks more like a walzer of dice that a war between soldiers!

this is some of my considerations:
when he left Battle Cry (grandfather of CCA), the game seemed brilliant in power: in fact it was still too simple to be considered a wargame!

things have not changed at all, in fact worsened with MM 44 and Battlelore, where the dynamics and mechanics of the game are very simple and very questionable!
(I should explain how it is possible that during WWII the troops cannot battle back! ).

with CCA instead, both the number of units present (with different characteristics), and mechanics have finally become worthy of note:

1. Combat is not simultaneous!
(in antiquity, usually the attacker to load the training opponents, trying to inflict as much damage as possible by force of impact! only if the defender "resist" that impact, he could fight back).

2. Supported units ignore a flag.
(This rule simulates the morale of the wargame; supported troops had a high morale and hardly flinched in the face of the enemy).

3. the importance of the Leader
(in antiquity, the Leader was always crucial to a victory or a defeat, having with the unit, you get a chance to fight with more strength and fight again!) (a leader simulates also the rule in war games called "command" , so all the units in command take noumerous benefits from an LDR: This rule is very well simulated in the game, with effectiveness and simplicity).

4. elephants
(lots of wargames that I played, the rule of the rampage of CCA is the most simple and elegant: very strong against powerful units, and almost nothing against units of skirmishers; disruptive while in the middle of a battle, disastrous when they fall back).

5. different troops
(while being only 3 types Basically, diversification is very great:
We are the warrior that are dangerous and belligerent when they are at full strength; fast and powerful auxiliaries; heavy troups, slow but inexorable; archers, ruthless and elusive;

6. the possibility of evasion
(the ability to disengage from the enemy with rules simple and logical, let you halt the momentum of a strong armed enemy)

7. land
(bring a unit into the river for emptied of your forces and dangerous; to fight in the mountains the riders, is to halve their effectiveness).

Personally, I do not know very well the English language, so perhaps I can not explain well the basics of the game, which may elusive at first sight to less experienced players.

My apology seems to CCA, in fact, my vote is 7, because I think that can be implemented;
(every army would have its own deck of cards; the possibility of promoting the troops in battle stand, so they are veterans; but this is a different speech)!

the game certainly has many excellent qualities, allowing any player, in few minutes, about half a kitchen table, to simulate in a fun and convincing all the battles of ancient history!

Perhaps the die is annoying, but I invite you to resolve a fight with the game Napoleon's Triumph: If you have a piece of horse to 3 blocks, 1 block against one of the largest piece wins the battle! (I do not think is very funny) ..

I renew my invitation to play on Vassal few games with experienced players, perhaps you uncover hidden qualities or perhaps reinforce your first impression, going to different games that can give you greater satisfaction ...

good game, Aringarosa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments!! MAybe I search too much in the game. I will give it another try.

I did not use vassal so far, that why I'm not very enthusiastic about it. Anyway, thanks for the hint!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giuseppe armagno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But I'd like to play a few games and at the same time let you know how the Vassal, if I were not met ...

.. if you go naturally .. hello and good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Η
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I had a similar raction when I played the game for the first time. I just couldn't understand the essence of it. It took me more than 10 games (I guess I am a slow learner) to begin to understand the finer points of it. Now that I have played more than 120 games i still feel that there are a lot to be learned. It really is a game that rewards skill despite the element of luck.

I urge you to stick with the game, try different scenarios (I don't have any particular recommendations) and then go back to scenario one. You will probably be impressed by how different it will feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.