Recommend
18 
 Thumb up
 Hide
143 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: RSPer of the Next Several Days: quozl rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: RSPer_du_jour [+] [View All]
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
It is my honor to follow in Marshall's footsteps and kick start this stagnant love fest. Our next RSPer of the next several days is..........
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Jon is an interesting fellow who seems to derive a great deal of joy out of poking at people's ideas while being very reluctant to share his own. He is the perfect follow up to chiddler who he recently ticked off quite badly.

His mixture of anarchic and Christian idealism is odd, at least in my estimation. He is not alone in that however. Perhaps we will get to know a bit more about this peculiarity.

Now to the interrogation.

Please bear your testimony on the subject of God and your Christian faith.

Please bear your testimony of the subject of proper social/societal/governmental organization.

Please name three reasons you are proud of the U.S.A.

Please name three reasons you are ashamed of the U.S.A.

Do you avoid deep conversation here because you find it difficult or because you would rather ruffle feathers? Do you feel misunderstood in this area?

Take it away Jon!
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Wray! I'm so glad you gave in to the anarchist urge to nominate me without following "the rules". (Marshall, you get props too!)

Hmm... you want me to do a lot bearing... or do you mean baring? No pictures of me with a meeple though. I'll get to the bearing/baring questions later.

Three reasons you are proud of the U.S.A.

1. They abbreviated it to three letters. Saying United States of America all the time would be really cumbersome.

2. They kicked out Britian.

3. Um.... I'm having trouble here... wait, I got one! I was born here.


Three reasons you are ashamed of the U.S.A.

1. They have ruined millions of people's lives.

2. They have deluded millions of people into thinking they're good.

3. I was born here.

I avoid deep comversation here because I have discovered it is impossible. People rarely say what they feel and instead parrot the talking heads they agree with. Sadly, they also rarely hear whoever they are talking to and just imagine that they are another talking head. I have attempted many times to get people to say what they think and feel about things personally but don't feel I've ever been really successful. However, I continue to plod away at it with the Through The Bible threads. Am I misunderstood? Probably but aren't we all?
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How much do you think the conversation is a "chicken or egg" situation?

Do you not share more intimate details of your own beliefs because you don't believe others will?

or

Do others not share more intimate details of their beliefs with you because you don't extend the "olive branch"?
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell us about gaming!
What did you play with your family growing up?
Tell us about your family, siblings, pets, parents. Both parents work? Any of the kids work? Outside the house?

What do you play now? With whom? Regular groups or pickup games? At home or at stores or cons or....?

Favorite game right now? Any solitaire games?

I'll have more later.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
How much do you think the conversation is a "chicken or egg" situation?

Do you not share more intimate details of your own beliefs because you don't believe others will?

or

Do others not share more intimate details of their beliefs with you because you don't extend the "olive branch"?


A fair question. I was here at the forming of RSP. I did share a lot of deatils about my beliefs. Others, however, were very reluctant to share their beliefs, just like they are now. In fact, I think Darth Xaos may be the most open of anyone in RSP. (Chad, you probably come in second.)

So I now believe that people will share their beliefs or not whether I sahre first or not. So I share when I want to share and I invite others to share when they want to share.

What do you think? Why do you not share more?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An open-eyed man falling into the well
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
"I don’t believe in magic that works whether or not you believe in it!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Christianity have the Buddha-nature?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:


A fair question. I was here at the forming of RSP. I did share a lot of deatils about my beliefs. Others, however, were very reluctant to share their beliefs, just like they are now. In fact, I think Darth Xaos may be the most open of anyone in RSP. (Chad, you probably come in second.)

So I now believe that people will share their beliefs or not whether I sahre first or not. So I share when I want to share and I invite others to share when they want to share.

What do you think? Why do you not share more?


Huh...good question.

I share when asked -- I am not directly asked that much though.

As far as your conversation style, I have always taken it to be to pull out someone's beliefs without polluting them with your own -- more like trying to get the unfiltered context of someone's thoughts. I think that is effective, but difficult because the other person can feel like they are being toyed with.

Is this a wrong assumption of what you are attempting to do? Are you just being more "tight-lipped" because other posters are naturally that way too?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You have micro-badge that claims you love all games, yet you have rated 4 games a 1.

Do you think Serena Williams is justified calling you a liar while you accept your VMA award?

Edited for more current eventyismness
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Tell us about gaming!
What did you play with your family growing up?
Tell us about your family, siblings, pets, parents. Both parents work? Any of the kids work? Outside the house?

What do you play now? With whom? Regular groups or pickup games? At home or at stores or cons or....?

Favorite game right now? Any solitaire games?

I'll have more later.


Oh cool, I like gaming questions!

My dad is a gamer. He played PBM (not PBEM!) Diplomacy and tried to get my mom to play the old AH games with him before they had kids. I'm the oldest so I was the first to get sucked into games. We played the standards: Life, Monopoly, Payday, etc. We also had some not so poular games like Sinking The Titanic and The Godfather Game. When we (my younger brother and I) got old enough though was when my dad brought out the AH games like Diplomacy and Kingmaker. We also got the Gamemaster series of games and played a lot of A&A, Shogun, and Conquest of the Empire.

My younger sister is 6 years younger than me and didn't really participate in much of the gaming. (By the time she was old enough for the games we liked to play, I was off to college.) Then while she was still in college, she died in a car accident.

My dad worked at auto dealerships doing the books and my mom stayed at home although she went back to college when I was in high school to become a registered nurse. She graduated the same year I did and she went to work while I started college. We lived in Prineville, Oregon and I would move irrigation pipe during the summers.

Now, I have a wife and a daughter and we have a family game night once a week and I play games with my daughter throughout the week. Occasionally, my wife and I play but she'd rather do other things. I also get together semi-regularly to play games with some people I met when I started a monthly boardgame night at the church I was going to. We meet at each others' homes.

I find solitaire gaming to be exceedingly dull. Gaming is all about matching wits with other people to me. My favorite game right now? Heroscape.

12 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anonymouse512 wrote:
Does Christianity have the Buddha-nature?


Am I the master?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
I share when asked -- I am not directly asked that much though.

As far as your conversation style, I have always taken it to be to pull out someone's beliefs without polluting them with your own -- more like trying to get the unfiltered context of someone's thoughts. I think that is effective, but difficult because the other person can feel like they are being toyed with.

Is this a wrong assumption of what you are attempting to do? Are you just being more "tight-lipped" because other posters are naturally that way too?


Yes, the pollution factor is a big part of it too. I feel that if I share first then they respond to what talking head they think I'm like with what talking head they like. I just want an honest answer!

I also think other posters are tight-lipped because they're tired of the whole phenomenon too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
You have micro-badge that claims you love all games, yet you have rated 4 games a 1.

Do you think Serena Williams is justified calling you a liar while you accept your VMA award?

Edited for more current eventyismness


I'm a hypocrite.

Yes.

Please elaborate on why you must edit in more eventyismness.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First the questions about your life; I'll leave the meaty ones for later.

1. Red haired and feckled women: what do you think?
2. On your political thought. Have you experienced any major ideological shift in your lifetime? If so, why?
3. Music. What do you like? What do you actively dislike?
4. Do you enjoy learning languages? What would you like to learn?
5. Have you ever lived abroad? If you had to, where would you go?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:


I'm a hypocrite.

Yes.

Please elaborate on why you must edit in more eventyismness.


It's parallelism... I think. Some kind of comment on human fallibility, judging others and public figures having their faults made public, by their own actions... or maybe not.

Do you accept Grimnak as the one true master of the modular battlefield?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An open-eyed man falling into the well
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
"I don’t believe in magic that works whether or not you believe in it!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Anonymouse512 wrote:
Does Christianity have the Buddha-nature?


Am I the master?


Please interpret it however you wish. (:
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Avatar
quozl wrote:
I would move irrigation pipe during the summers.


Why are you so ashamed of your gay porn career that you must disguise it with transparent metaphors?
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:
First the questions about your life; I'll leave the meaty ones for later.

1. Red haired and feckled women: what do you think?
2. On your political thought. Have you experienced any major ideological shift in your lifetime? If so, why?
3. Music. What do you like? What do you actively dislike?
4. Do you enjoy learning languages? What would you like to learn?
5. Have you ever lived abroad? If you had to, where would you go?


1. When I was about 6, I met a friend of my grandmother's who had red hair and was freckled all over (arms, legs). I've always been intrigued by the look ever since.

2. I don't think so. I may not have known what anarchism was when I was little but there was no way I was going to say the pledge of allegiance. As for God, I'll get to that when I do my baring.

3. My favorite band is Project 86. I really like hardcore music with somewhat of a growl to the voice but not screaming. I also like to be able to understand the words but lyrics are really low on my list of what I like in music.

4. I do enjoy it but I suck at it. I took 4 years of Spanish in high school and helped out at a Spanish-speaking church for a while but my vocabulary is probably still about 300 words and I still have bad pronounciation. A few years back, were going to take a trip to Germany and I got some CDs to learn German which reminded me of how bad my language-learning skills are.

5. I never have. In fact, I've only lived in three states: California, Oregon, and Washington. However, my wife and I are planning to sell the house in about 10 years and travel the country in an RV. Hopefully, I'll be able to meet some of the Americans here then. If I had to vacate the country, I'd probably move to New Zealand so I could hang out with Chiddler.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Do you accept Grimnak as the one true master of the modular battlefield?


Me, my wife, and my daughter all have GRIMNAK CHOMP T-shits that we made with iron-ons. Does that answer your question?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
quozl wrote:
I would move irrigation pipe during the summers.


Why are you so ashamed of your gay porn career that you must disguise it with transparent metaphors?


Did I tell you the pipe were 20 feet long?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
You said...

Quote:

Three reasons you are ashamed of the U.S.A.

1. They have ruined millions of people's lives.

2. They have deluded millions of people into thinking they're good.

3. I was born here.


The first two are meaningless generalities and reveal only that you harbor ill will towards an unspecified somebody from and unspecified period of time.

Who is "they"?

The third says nothing at all except that you feel shame. What is the source of your personal shame and who... among that vast "they" you refer to... caused you to feel ashamed at an event totally out of your control?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
You said...

Quote:

Three reasons you are ashamed of the U.S.A.

1. They have ruined millions of people's lives.

2. They have deluded millions of people into thinking they're good.

3. I was born here.


The first two are meaningless generalities and reveal only that you harbor ill will towards an unspecified somebody from and unspecified period of time.

Who is "they"?

The third says nothing at all except that you feel shame. What is the source of your personal shame and who... among that vast "they" you refer to... caused you to feel ashamed at an event totally out of your control?


Somebodies, actually, but yes that's right. The USA itself is a meaningless distinction as are all nations.

"They" are those that carried out the activites: those that ordered the Cherokees to be relocated and those that carried out those orders, for one example.

I was being funny by having the same #3 for both lists. Get it? Laugh!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Quozl how does it make you feel when I don't get your jokes? How does it make you feel when everybody else doesn't either? And how's the merger at work going?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavedog_pdx wrote:
Hey Quozl how does it make you feel when I don't get your jokes? How does it make you feel when everybody else doesn't either? And how's the merger at work going?


It makes me feel sad in both cases. I wonder if I'm just really bad at telling jokes or if my love of obscure jokes ("you should have seen the grindstone!") gets in the way of others enjoying the humor. I've also given up on explaining them as that makes them even less funny.

The merger, I am happy to say, has been delayed indefinitely.

When are we going to play some 1856 or Civilization or Diplomacy?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
quozl wrote:
I avoid deep comversation here because I have discovered it is impossible. People rarely say what they feel and instead parrot the talking heads they agree with.

I totally know what you are talking about. I wouldn't say it is impossible though, just improbable. Why not just do your part to put your point of view out without so much concern for others? Every once in a while, I am surprised by the thoughtful conversation that results. You on the other hand, have consistently frustrated me.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrayman wrote:
Why not just do your part to put your point of view out without so much concern for others?


That is totally antithetical to why I post here.

Wray, I'm sorry my posts frustrate you. Honestly, your posts frustrate me too. I just don't think this medium is conducive for us to converse with each other meaningfully. If we ever meet face to face, I'm sure we'll talk well then.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.