Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Webcomic of the Week #3: Real Life

Subscribe using the Geeklist: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/46797

Greetings, webcomic fans. Over the past 2 weeks Verkisto and I have brought you Sheldon and Schlock Mercenary. For week 3, we go on to one of my all-time favorite webcomics: Real Life by Greg Dean.

Real Life is a webcomic created by Greg Dean on the 15th of November, 1999. As such, this November it will celebrate 10 years! During that 10 years, though Greg has missed a day here or there, it’s never been on a prolonged hiatus.

Real Life started as a comic following the real-life exploits of Greg Dean, his friends Dave and Tony and Crystal.

Quickly, however, Greg’s impulsiveness, Dave’s computer wizardry, and Tony’s plans for world domination have all brought the strip an absurd hyperbole. Real life’s characters have remained the same except for some additions and departures over the years, and the location has changed between several places in California and one place in Texas.

Greg makes Real Life on his computer in Adobe Illustrator.

Real life has typically consisted of geek and computer humor, mostly through the eyes of the protagonist Greg. Greg portrays himself as an extremely impulsive, highly-obsessive computer and video game geek and Pepsi drinker. He is also made fun of by the other characters with unusual frequency.

For instance, he’s made fun of for the first time in the second strip:

Greg:

Impulsive, overcaffienated, obsessive, and not given to rational thought. This is Greg in a nutshell.

Dave:

Computer geek extraordinaire and computer gamer par excellence.

Pal:

Pal is Dave’s computer, who became a sentient AI the moment the computer switched on. Let’s all laugh at his original specs from our 10-years-hence vantage point.

Pal can also be opinionated and stubborn.

Danny:

Danny is a hardcore computer nerd and linux user. He makes tragically few appearances in the comic.

Tony:

Tony is an evil genius bent on world domination. That explains why his first appearance is as a DM:

But soon reveals his true character:

Common themes in real life involve breaking the fourth wall:

Greg’s Impulsiveness:

And general geek/nerd humor:

All the real life strips I’ve shown are from 1999 and 2000, and showcase color on Sundays only. Greg switched to 5-days a week, all color sometime later.

This strip is one of my all-time favorites of any webcomic:

The art starts out okay, but gets even better the longer the strip goes.

Did I mention greg drinks WAY too much Pepsi? (So do I, come to think of it.)

Who doesn’t hate spyware?

One of the recurring characters is the Shirt Ninja, seen here for the first time:

This required an intervention recently:

There have been some especially memorable storylines in Real Life. A time travel story (or two, as seen below), a battle between an Eva unit and a Battlemech, and several stories about Tony’s world domination schemes and wacky inventions await you in the archives.

Why do I like Real Life? Well, besides being well drawn from the start, it’s hilarious. I’m a geek (as you probably all know) so I relate to almost all the humor in Real Life. I also relate to the characters; Greg’s about my age so we have several experiences in common.

Real Life does hold a special place for me, though. I was linked to a Real Life comic back in 2001, and I started reading it through the archives, then I started visiting every day. That’s right folks. My obsession with webcomics started with Real Life by Greg Dean.

So go to www.reallifecomics.com and go read this awesome strip. With 9 years of archives to plow through, you’ve got your work cut out for you! And If you like it, go to the Real Life store and preorder Book 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great comic been reading it for a couple years now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FUEGO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbespm wrote:
FUEGO!

FUEGO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.