Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Collingham
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only got Invincible left as Hermes was hit early on in the war. Event card #26 says that a crack has been detected in one of the carriers (1-3 Inv., 4-6 Hermes). How should I play this card as it could leave me without air cover completely?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slip it back in the deck when you're opponent's not looking ...

...wait, nevermind .....

Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Collingham
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I was thinking that Hermes already has a bl**dy big crack in it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
collywobbles wrote:
I've only got Invincible left as Hermes was hit early on in the war. Event card #26 says that a crack has been detected in one of the carriers (1-3 Inv., 4-6 Hermes). How should I play this card as it could leave me without air cover completely?
Well, you could either:

a) Cheat

or

b) roll

Now, it's a solo game, so only you will ever know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar Gallego
Spain
Sarriguren
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too late for detecting a crack in the Hermes, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Edgar Gallego wrote:
Too late for detecting a crack in the Hermes, right?
We took submarines for precisely this eventuality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar Gallego
Spain
Sarriguren
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, without the subs you would never know for sure if the Hermes was sunk by a crack...

I'm also interested in the answer to the dilemma. Is there a roll and 4-6 means that Hermes had a crack? or no roll and Invincible has a crack because we are aware that Hermes had his own?

In that case I'd roll, 1-3 bad luck, 4-6 Hermes arrived to the ocean floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Collingham
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the wording is 1-3 Invincible or 4-6 Hermes has the crack. After that you have to decide whether or not to get it fixed immediately (delayed 1-4 turns) or leave in the N zone until you are ready to fix it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense that on a 1-3 the event takes effect; anything else, then ignore it.

Might be worth seeing what Dan's opinion is regarding withdrawing for repair of the propeller shaft. It's possible that the Harriers are still available.

Personally, if the event took effect I'd base my decision on where I am in the game. If it's early days, I'd withdraw - you're only losing it for a maximum of four days. Mid game I'd wait for any big reinforcements to plug the gaps in the zones and then withdraw. Late in the game I'd leave it limping along in the northern zone with a permanent CAP on that zone, if possible, using any other Harriers for permanent CAPs or scrambles on San Carlos - depends how many Harriers you managed to transfer from Hermes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Collingham
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's precisely how i would have played it Ian. I'm on T16, got 12 Harriers left due to Hermes "incident" and poor weather early on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Unfortunately, if one of the Carriers have been sunk, the card applies to the surviving vessel. There is no roll.

It was commonly accepted that the Task Force would face, 'operational difficulties' if one of the Carriers was lost, and I'm afraid that's what you're facing.

I'd pray for a one on the roll, and keep the Task Force as far out of strike range as possible until she's repaired.

How did you lose Hermes by the way...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Collingham
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that ruling Dan. I lost Hermes after one of the Task Groups evaded my subs, and I had no CAP. It was the carrier group and it launched 4 skyhawks against me. Schoolboy error, i was trying to interdict the supply in the early rounds and didn't think i needed too much CAP...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
...don't worry, it's what nearly happened to Woodward...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Collingham
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my carriers mixed up, it was Invincible I lost. Hermes survived but just got cracked. However all was not lost as I rolled a 1 this morning, so she's only away one turn, no exocets remaining and the Argentinian fleet is off board as the previous round I sunk their remaining sub! I reckon I have got off lightly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonnie H
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So in this situation, if there is only one carrier left, and you send it off for repairs, does this mean that there are no flights on those days?

Not sure if Harriers need the carrier to be moving for flights. or how far behind it would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.