Popular Tags: [View All]
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night at the Bistro there were ten of us. I grabbed Imperial, but no one seemed interested so I grabbed Fire and Axe. Ed, Tiffany, Jason and Chris joined me at the table.

It took me about 15 to 20 minutes to go through the rules and explain the game. Ed was setting up the board as he had played once before. We started playing right at 7:30. We finished at 9:45.

I had forgotten that this game slows down in the middle/end of the game. I also forgot that it was a bit too long for the kind of game it is (one based on the roll of the dice).

We started the game and as the fourth player I watch the first three go after the cards. I decided to vulture one of the settlement cards and was able to steal it. I had the Odin card and filled up my hand of three rune cards. I was able to move a longboat out of a port (someone was trying to prevent me from building the last settlement for the card) and build for the card.

Each of us tried to either get cards or go for the steal when another player had done most of the work. Jason and Chris had a race going for the Bloody Axe and by the end of the game, both held four grey cities. Ed went for and got three near the end of the game, but missed taking a fourth. I went for the card that has Rome as a part of the raid, but I missed it several times.

I came in second 13 points behind the leader. If Rome had fallen, I would have won the game. I just had terrible rolls (Jason had some awesome rolling throughout the game), but I couldn't catch a break.

I think that's why I don't really care for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is too bad. My little group thinks it rocks! We always have a good time when we play it, even the losers like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although normally I tend to dislike it when random factors play such a big role in a game (risk, settlers, etc.) I dont notice it so much in this game at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.