Subject: Attacking Gothmog rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
This question came up while those nasty heroes were chasing my poor Gothmog around the board yesterday:

1. Is Gothmog's location perilous? His special ability states: "All non-haven locations within 1 space are perilous."

I explained to them that "within 1 space" includes his location and that by entering his area, I (sauron) had the choice of either minion or peril. They could only force a combat with him during the Ambush step of their turn, which I easily avoided by moving him away each turn.

Cries of "Foul!" and "Boo" and "You're nothing but a disembodied eye" flew at me from across the table. Anyway, I know the rules and I know I'm right, just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem.

Which leads to questions 2:

2. While Gothmog is in a Haven (not perilous of course), does he have to fight a hero entering his location if the hero wants to fight? What about Ambush?

I ruled this one yes, but I'm not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
"Within 1 space" is inclusive of that space (contrast: "adjacent to"). As far as the second question, Gothmog must fight (during the Ambush step) if the hero chooses to fight (if not in a haven, combat would occur automatically during the Ambush step). THe minion cannot simply elect not to fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can just see Beravor walking out the front door of Rivendel and yelling "OK, you can come ambush me now!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you know, you are a disembodied eye after all. goo

Why was Gothmog running away? Did you suspect the heroes' mission was to have 2 or less minions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they had already killed the Black Serpent and the Mouth of Sauron while they were guarding plots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dunno about this. Seems like that kill minions mission is much too hard. The RW are not killable, Gothmog is always allowed to avoid combat, and the Witch King only shows up late in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kostek wrote:
Seems like that kill minions mission is much too hard.

It's impossible if Sauron tries to prevent it. So is the one where you kill monsters. And some of the Sauron missions also.

The point is that if Sauron tries to prevent these missions, it's going to cost him more in games where that's not the mission, than it gains him when it is the mission.

Or, to put it a different way, the design intent of this mission is to keep the Sauron player from being too free and reckless with his minions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kostek wrote:
Dunno about this. Seems like that kill minions mission is much too hard. The RW are not killable, Gothmog is always allowed to avoid combat, and the Witch King only shows up late in the game.

RWs are perfectly killable, they re-appear at the start of Sauron's next Action step, but Finale starts before said step, so they'll stay down if you put them down on the turn before Finale starts. Gothmog is allowed to avoid Combat/Peril combat, not Ambush, though I'll agree, he's a slippery rascal to track down if Sauron wants to keep him alive. WK may come late, but he's been killed in 1 combat by Thalin in game, so it's not all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

RWs are perfectly killable,

But you've got to kill them on the final turn otherwise you're hosed, that's the point. Other guys stay dead (mostly, except for that one shadow card). Killing the RW early doesn't get the job done.

More relevant is this comment:
Quote:
The point is that if Sauron tries to prevent these missions, it's going to cost him more in games where that's not the mission, than it gains him when it is the mission.

I think the basic point is that it's a bad investment for Sauron to burn actions preventing this mission. Minions are the best way to guard plots. If Sauron keeps fleeing w/ the minions, the heroes have a free hand to go after plots.

If it's the middle of the game, the heroes can't target the RW since there's no point. The only way to advance that mission would be to target Got, but he can always hide behind peril. The problem for Sauron is that Got is way more dangerous than the average peril. By saving Got, he goes easy on the heroes.

Bluffing can be very helpful here. You don't want the other guy to guess what you're real goal is. At least not until it's too late...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kostek wrote:
But you've got to kill them on the final turn otherwise you're hosed, that's the point. Other guys stay dead (mostly, except for that one shadow card). Killing the RW early doesn't get the job done.

I wouldn't say hosed. RWs are actually pretty weak in combat, especially if you slap 2 Heroes against them. But even 1 Hero can take them out, if he focuses on purely doing the damage and is willing/able to take his licks. If you got 2 Minions already killed and it's the last turn, this should be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.