Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Dearborn
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so here is the deal. My wife and I are celebrating our 15 year wedding anniversary at the end of the month and she has decided to buy me a few games (and some motorcycle gear, but that is for a different forum)

I am for sure getting

Agricola
Stone Age

Others I am considering:

San Juan
Thebes
Galaxy Trucker
Le Havre
Endeavor
Tigris and Euphrates
Roma
Witch's Brew
Cuba

Recent purchases that I have enjoyed

Vikings
Zooloreto (my 6 year old loves it)
Winner's Circle
Dominion

Most of my gaming is on the lighter side, most of my games are in the under 1 hour category. I do enjoy the more in depth games, just don't have alot of opportunities to play them.

Looking for a little feedback on the ones in my considering list and maybe some info on hidden gems I may have missed along the way.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If time is important, I would take a second look at having Le Havre on your list. With two of us, we play Agricola in an hour, and Cuba slightly more, but Le Havre is two hours, even having played it a few times. They're all good choices, so it largely depends on how many people you're going to play with, how long you have to play, things like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your situation, I'd say that San Juan and Galaxy Trucker are "must buys" and then consider Thebes and Cuba.

To be honest, it's just money and I'd get all four....as a matter of fact, I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games on your consideration list, I'd suggest:

Thebes: plays well with 3-4, though it seems a bit long with 2. Has a great theme which is well implemented, and is quite easy to pick up.

San Juan: card version of Puerto Rico. Plays well with 2-4. Easier to pick up than Race for the Galaxy, though you might prefer the theme of the latter.

Roma: interesting little two player only dice game. Some have criticized it because some cards such as the Forum seem too powerful.

Tigris & Euphrates is a great game, but it's best with 4 players and takes some time to wrap your head around it. Before buying it, download and read the rules, then play some online games here at BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree - Agricola and Stone Age are both very worth getting, though are of a simlar type.

If you are getting both then I would probably leave Le Havre on the shelf - it is different, but not that much different. It is also long (even with 2 players), so suspect it won't fit your needs all that well.

I personnally cannot stand Galaxy Trucker - you may love it, so I wouldn't want to put you off - it is also expensive (at least in NZ) and you could proably buy a game and a half for the cost. It just seems to me like a puzzle with a game tacked to the end of it.

San Juan is a good card game - maybe not as addictive as Dominion, but nice as a change.

Endeavor is my next purchase - so good choice there - a few in my gaming group got to play it at its unoffical "launch" with the designers in Wellington, NZ. They really enjoyed it, and it seems to be getting good reviews elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Dearborn
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback

Didn't know the playtime on Le Havre was that long, it is the only game on my list I haven't played. Just heard alot of good things about it so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your looking for a nagotion game for 3 or 4 players try catan otherwise le havre or san juan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Loomis
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely recommend: Galaxy Trucker
Recommend: Thebes
Don't endorse: Roma, San Juan

I believe the best game on your list is Tigris and Euphrates. As others have said, it really works best with 4 players and there is a steep learning curve with some of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
yendi57 wrote:
Looking for a little feedback on the ones in my considering list and maybe some info on hidden gems I may have missed along the way.

thanks in advance for any advice.

You're doing this the hard way and going about it all wrong.

I sense the stress and tension that is welling up through your very core.

Make it easy for yourself - take advantage of my fabulous service - let me be your consultant. Simply send me $250 a month for the next twelve months and, on the first of each month, I will send you several games that will fill the niches in your collection.

Stress-free collection building - all you have to do is sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labours.

Let me do it right for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your list and your criteria, it's hard to really guide you. This will all be extremely subjective. However, I'll comment on some of the choices and maybe it'll be of some help.

Agricola : Hate it. HATE IT. Doesn't mean you might not like it. I'm just saying that it's not a game I simply don't care for. I HATE IT. Ugh!

Stone Age : I think you'll like this one.

San Juan : I like it just fine and greatly prefer it to the overhyped Race for the Galaxy. And you'll have no trouble finding someone who'll say the opposite.

Thebes : As a gamer, I'd pass on this one. As something to play with my family, this is worth considering. There's a considerable element of chance working here and I'm far more forgiving of such things when playing with the family.

Galaxy Trucker : I think this one is great fun.

Le Havre : Ugh! OK, I already said I hated Agricola. I DON'T hate this one. Just don't dig it. It feels very dry and it is LONG when compared to most other euros. There are just too many better games to play.

Tigris and Euphrates : I find this one interesting, but I've found it's real hit or miss with many people. You're just going to have to decide if the folks you play with will go for it or not.

Roma : Pass. The new expanded edition (Arena) is on the way if you decide you'd like to give this one a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for bredth (i.e. games that offer a variety of playing experiences), Galaxy Trucker and Tigris and Euphrates should head the list.

San Juan is...fine. I don't know, I learned Puerto Rico and Race for the Galaxy before I ever played it, and it just felt like a watered down combination of the two. Just not enough paths to victory as compared to Race for the Galaxy. Also, Race is slightly shorter and plays better with 2. On the other hand, I've had good luck using it as a stepping stone to Race for the Galaxy which can be baffling at first to some people.

I really like Witch's Brew, but I know that opinions are mixed. If bluffing and out-guessing your opponents sounds like fun, you'll probably like it, but if "I think that he thinks that I'm going to to X, but what he doesn't know is that I *know* that he thinks I'm going to do X, so I can fool him by doing Y, etc. etc." drives you nuts, maybe not for you. Also, it plays best with 5. OK with 4. I've never tried it with 3, but I'm not sure I would.

As much as I like Le Havre, if you are looking for games that play in under an hour, you probably want to pass here. Agricola is already going to be pushing that envelope (it runs about 30 minutes/person once you know what you are doing - considerably longer as you are learning).

Anyway, of the games here that I have played (all but Thebes, Endevor, and Roma), I'd rate them all pretty good to excellent, so I think you are in good shape whatever you decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola: Love it. LOVE IT! its our most played game. Depth of strategy and a great theme. LOVE IT! YEAH!

As far as the ones on your list, Galaxy Trucker

I have introduced this game to so many people now and everyone has loved it. Build a ship and watch it explode before your eyes!

The expansion makes it even better too. (yeah, it actually does what an expansion is SUPPOSED to do)

Also, i just ordered a copy of Endeavor and am eagerly awaiting playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Graffagnino
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In my experience, one person's hidden gem is another person's most regretful purchase. Galaxy Trucker is a great example. Some people love it to death, others loathe it to no end. I'm in the latter camp. It's the "watch what happens to your ship" phase that I don't find enjoyable. There are no meanful decisions, no opportunity to strategize, no tactics to employ, etc. It's basically - flip a card, see what it did to your ship. YMMV....

Other games you might consider:

Ticket to Ride
Manila
A Castle for All Seasons
Alhambra
China
Saint Petersburg
Cleopatra and the Society of Architects
Sushizock im Gockelwok
TransAmerica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Endeavor. Strategic and tactical gameplay in 1 hour! Really! 1 hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
graff48 wrote:

In my experience, one person's hidden gem is another person's most regretful purchase. Galaxy Trucker is a great example. Some people love it to death, others loathe it to no end. I'm in the latter camp. It's the "watch what happens to your ship" phase that I don't find enjoyable. There are no meanful decisions, no opportunity to strategize, no tactics to employ, etc. It's basically - flip a card, see what it did to your ship. YMMV....

Well, yeah, the game is building your ship, not flying it. Like building a model rocket - all the work is before the launch, then you just watch and appreciate your handywork (or watch it self-destruct).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
graff48 wrote:

Other games you might consider:

Ticket to Ride
Manila
A Castle for All Seasons
Alhambra
China
Saint Petersburg
Cleopatra and the Society of Architects
Sushizock im Gockelwok
TransAmerica

you havent played with the expansion have you? either way I wouldnt agree with that assesment at all. I have won or lost games by deciding should I take that abandonded ship though I'll only have a few crew left? how early in the mission is it? should I shield now or lose those couple peices and some cargo? I know there is a ways to go and I dont have many batteries. Should I sacrifice my engine to skip this encounter? I am so close to coming in first. should I blow all my power on advancing to first or save some for incoming pirates and slavers.

there is a ton going on IMO, and for those who dont mind a little carnage, I dont thinkthere is a more "fun" game out there. especcially when you mix in the expansion, to say there is no menaingful decisions is absolutely not true at all.

Furthermore, as it has been mentioned, building the ship is pretty important, not to mention very fun as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But thats easy. I dont know why You havent gotten it before but sure someone will eventually do it. A gamer that is into motorcycles gets:

Monopoly Harley Davidson

See? Obvious choice. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Dearborn
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the suggestions.

I ended up picking up:

Agricola
Stone Age
Pitch Car
Galaxy Trucker
Thebes
Fits

The only one I hadn't planned on at all was Fits, but the wife was along and thought it looked like fun......so what the heck, it will get her to the gaming table and that seems to be half the battle at times.

Would have picked up Endeavor, but they where sold out. Thanks for the advise on the length of Le Havre, made me steer clear of that one.

Now to start working on the Christmas games list.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.