Subject: 2 New Steam Expansions: Steam Sun & Steam London rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
I was in my FLGS today, and saw a new expansion available for Steam.

Actually, I was purchasing a map for AoS, but to my surprise, it had this seal -

Sun/London Expansion for Steam

Why - Jonathan Clebourne Lawrence - we hardly knew you!

I eagerly opened the envelope to confirm -

Sun/London Expansion for Steam

The expansion includes 2 full games for Steam - "London", and "Sun".

Bezier's London Expansion for Steam

London is a fairly typical Stream expansion scenario, set in the London metropolitan area. It does add some new mechanics involving Unions and overtime fees.

London Expansion for Steam

Here's a little better look at the additional pieces, which supplement Steam's own equipment -

London Expansion for Steam, close-up

This particular expansion is famous for its intricate use of 4-exit town tiles, and it's great to see Steam's tiles rise to the challenge.

Bezier's Sun Expansion for Steam

Sun is a more unusual expansion for Steam. Sun is actually set on Sol, and involves mining energy through sunspots, solar flares, restationing, and so on.

The starting map has no cities at all, very unusual for a Steam expansion - but Jonathan Clebourne Lawrence has always pushed the edge of what is possible with Steam.

Sun Expansion for Steam

So, my friends - another set of expansions are available from Bezier - game on!

I've pictured the available pieces - the rest of the expansion uses the Steam track tiles, Steam player tokens, Steam scoring tracks (Income/Expenses), Steam supply system, etc.

JC - THANKS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The New Expansion
jimb wrote:
I was in my FLGS today

EndGame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jimb wrote:
Jonathan Clebourne Lawrence

Ahem. Nope.

I noticed the Steam-rules sticker on retail copies of Age of Steam:London/Sun some months back (at Endgame as happens) and approached Ted about them. Uhh, I never did any Steam rules! He asked me to look into doing Steam rules. I did for some weeks and then came back to him, Nope, sorry, can't be done without a full rewrite. He said he'd stop using the stickers on my maps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice pics and all, but how about an actual review?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
This is a SCOOP - you get the pics, I get some geek gold - no one gets hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
I was in my FLGS today, and saw a new expansion available for Steam.

new? looks like it's been out for 3 years, see

Age of Steam Expansion: Sun / London
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
...I think they'll be ordering more copies of this excellent Steam expansion, though.

You're a bad, bad man. Thanks for making me laugh out loud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
An old Bezier game with a 'Steam' sticker is a 'scoop'? Ok, I get the joke. But I really would like to read a review of these maps with the Steam rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
And with the extra straight track tiles from Steam Barons, there may no longer be a hindrance in playing Sun with Steam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I appreciate the joke, I can't help but feel that posting this as an actual review was maybe a little misguided. You should at least add something to indicate that in fact the promised rules for use with Steam don't exist on the Bezier site (and, according to the designer, may never exist) and advise caution to people considering a purchase. Particularly for the Sun map (of all the maps, this is the one I see having the most issues with being adapted to Steam).

Some people who don't know the history (and there are a great many) may come here, take this "review" at face value and make a very poorly informed purchase. That doesn't benefit anyone.

Along with poking fun, it would have been nice if there had actually been some substance here. I usually like my reviewers to have actually played the game and there would have been some real interest in seeing how London and or Sun actually played with a naive translation to Steam (I suspect not well, but I have nothing more than my gut to go by). If you do give it a go, please update and let us know how it went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with you posting it. I do, however, take issue with it being posted in the guise of a legitimate review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
I did acknowledge that the setup rules don't exist, but JC did that long before I got to it. (I'd warned him in email before I posted, so he would have an opportunity to nix any misunderstandings.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure Alspach will refund your money if you tell him you bought a package that says there are Steam rules on his web site but they are not there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Barticus88 wrote:
I am sure Alspach will refund your money if you tell him you bought a package that says there are Steam rules on his web site but they are not there.

Jim knew there were no Steam rules for the maps going in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
clearclaw wrote:
Jim knew there were no Steam rules for the maps going in.

I purchased this purely as an Age of Steam expansion. (*)

Afterward, in the car - I was getting ready to open it up at a stoplight (so I could look at the rules while I got a bite to eat). But, I saw the seal, and knew I had a collector's item. :-)

So I came home, took photos, and opened it much more carefully - all under the watchful eye of dear Uncle Martin. I also promptly email'd the Killer of All Fun, to make sure he could disavow this blasphemy.

(*) But, I could have bought it as a Steam expansion - and everything I said originally would still have followed. Whether that's a joke, or simply serious - it all depends on your point-of-view. That's how it was labelled, there was a package insert as pictured, etc etc - all branded as a Steam expansion.

It also says it runs with "Warfrog's Age of Steam", btw. This guy maybe should lead the RNC for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
jimb wrote:
... Killer of All Fun ...

#pepsicoatinglcd#
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
jimb wrote:
Jonathan Clebourne Lawrence

Ahem. Nope.

I noticed the Steam-rules sticker on retail copies of Age of Steam:London/Sun some months back (at Endgame as happens) and approached Ted about them. Uhh, I never did any Steam rules! He asked me to look into doing Steam rules. I did for some weeks and then came back to him, Nope, sorry, can't be done without a full rewrite. He said he'd stop using the stickers on my maps...

There are no rules for any of the Steam Brothers maps either and they work exactly the same with NO MODIFICATIONS.

I'm sure anyone with greater math skills than I could calculate some "significant" number that would point toward potential incompatibility; but every AoS map I use with Steam works just fine.

So sure, you have some special rules; nothing that cannot be tweaked into the Steam system. If not, I guess I'll just use AoS rules; which ironically can easily be done by printing the charts here for free and using Steam bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
locusshifter wrote:
There are no rules for any of the Steam Brothers maps either and they work exactly the same with NO MODIFICATIONS.

Exactly the same? No. I accept that you may not be prepared or able to see the differences.

Quote:
I'm sure anyone with greater math skills than I could calculate some "significant" number that would point toward potential incompatibility; but every AoS map I use with Steam works just fine.

I am confident that what you define as just fine is very different than what I similarly expect.

Quote:
So sure, you have some special rules; nothing that cannot be tweaked into the Steam system. If not, I guess I'll just use AoS rules; which ironically can easily be done by printing the charts here for free and using Steam bits.

I have detailed in other Steam threads why both my published maps will variously not play well and will not represent similar games to their Age of Steam versions when used with Steam's components and split tracks etc. I'd rather not repeat that detailing here. The rules are available online, you are free to try a merge-set of course, and I am interested in whatever eventuates, but whatever you end up with will be a sham of the original design.

Note: Both maps come with their own custom charts. They have to, as they make changes to the Age of Steam charts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Exactly the same? No. I accept that you may not be prepared or able to see the differences.

No offense JC, but I find your usual bias unsurprising; this was the rebuttal I had expected.

However, you are correct that we may have unequal expectations; indeed I find that no one equals the heights of your expectations when it relates to Age of Steam. In this I couldn't compare, however prepared to see the differences? In most cases I deem them marginal, or so minimal they DO NOT MATTER TO ME. Further, perhaps I am unwilling to analyze a game to the degree that you might; this is just not my way.

Quote:
I am confident that what you define as just fine is very different than what I similarly expect.

Truer words were never spoken.

Quote:
I have detailed in other Steam threads why both my published maps will variously not play well and will not represent similar games to their Age of Steam versions when used with Steam's components and split tracks etc. I'd rather not repeat that detailing here. The rules are available online, you are free to try a merge-set of course, and I am interested in whatever eventuates, but whatever you end up with will be a sham of the original design.

Note: Both maps come with their own custom charts. They have to, as they make changes to the Age of Steam charts.

While the more uniquely designed maps as yours, which introduces more extreme variants to the system, would certainly be more difficult, I could hardly say playing with maps that have more basic alterations ending up with a sham of the original design. Citing that there are no changes amongst Ted Alspac's maps in AoS vs Steam seems to point toward integrating extension maps "as-is" with next to no effect on game play.
Only the most hard core, or perhaps the most stubborn would argue otherwise IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
locusshifter wrote:
Only the most hard core, or perhaps the most stubborn would argue otherwise IMHO.

He wears that "Fun Murderer" badge with pride, I'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
locusshifter wrote:
I could hardly say playing with maps that have more basic alterations ending up with a sham of the original design.

The resulting product will be clearly different and easily and accurately described as counterfeit, an imitation, an aped similarity etc. ie a sham. You might like the sham, and that's fine, but it remains a sham of the original.

Quote:

I am stubborn. I'll leave it to others to decide if I'm hardcore (not sure why that's important, I merely try to remain consistent with the principles I've set myself). My expectations are perhaps more exacting than most. None of this should be a surprise or any reason for me to apologise for my arguments.

jimb wrote:
He wears that "Fun Murderer" badge with pride, I'm afraid.

Perhaps more self-recognition. Not much pride I'm afraid, but considerable humour, and I do find it handy as a litmus test to select out uninteresting things. I like a good and useful tool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2 New Expansions - Steam Sun, and Steam London
Quote:
The resulting product will be clearly different and easily and accurately described as counterfeit, an imitation, an aped similarity etc. ie a sham. You might like the sham, and that's fine, but it remains a sham of the original.

You continue to apply knowledge of me which you do not have, or seem willing to ignore. I'm done on this point; it's the debate that's the sham.

Quote:
I am stubborn. I'll leave it to others to decide if I'm hardcore (not sure why that's important, I merely try to remain consistent with the principles I've set myself). My expectations are perhaps more exacting than most. None of this should be a surprise or any reason for me to apologise for my arguments.

Your consistent opinions are why you are a geek buddy and certainly no one will ask you to apologize; you've done nothing to offend IMHO.

While it's been interesting picking your brain, we've now begun to work into circular arguments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.