Subject: Some questions after first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gergely Orsó
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!

Just finished the two first plays, and we came up with a couple of questions not really covered by the rules (and I couldn't find the thread for them).

- let's say I'm trying to rush a marine in overwatch using a conga line of one GS and 2 blips. They are right behind the GS figure. The GS is killed by ow fire, the blip behind is revealed, revealing 3 GSs. Now, how can I legally place them? There's another blip right behind it, it's a corridor, so no space on the sides. The rules seem to suggest that in this case only the front GS is placed, B/C placing the others would be illegal. We thought that this can't be right since this would force the GS player to keep adequate distance between blips, revealing the exact number of the GS on that blip. We house-ruled that you have to move backwards the second blip to make space for the placements, getting the same effect as with keeping the distance, but what's the official word for this?

- when a SM attack a GS on the square in front of him, does he HAVE to enter close combat, or can he still shoot point blank? We thought that he could use his firearm.

- I know you can see through corners diagonally, but can you move/shoot/make a melee attack this way? I think yes, but I'm not sure.

- I know this has been answered in numerous threads, so just to make sure:

1) when I voluntarily reveal, I get 6 AP with each GS UNLESS I have moved the blip this turn, in which case I don't get to use them.

2) If I get seen by an SM by either opening a door or getting the GS in front of the blip killed by ow. fire or close combat, I lose all AP, and cannot do anything this turn.

3) Getting seen on the opponents turn does not affect my APs.

Thanks for the clarifications!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The reveal is "involuntary". After the GS is killed, the blip is revealed and one GS is where the blip token was. Since there's a blip right behind it, that space is occupied. The only other spot a GS can go is the space right in front of it. So if it was a 3 blip, you would lose one of the GS's.

2. This question is coming up a lot more than I would have expected. Nothing requires a model to perform any specific action, except Overwatch. Neither a Genestealer nor Marine *has* to attack another model with close combat. The marine can fire at a GS who is right next to him. He can also ignore him and just walk past him, etc.

3. The diagonals do not block LOS, if they are exact (i.e. a stealer to the left, top left, and top, the marine can see all 3 of them).

4. 1) Correct, you reveal BEFORE move, each stealer gets 6AP. Reveal AFTER move, none of the stealers can move.

4. 2) (unless this has changed in 3rd Ed), an involuntary reveal is no different from a voluntary. If the blip has already moved, the stealers get no AP. If the blip has not yet moved, the stealers get 6AP.

4. 3) If a blip is seen on a Marine's turn, that is an involuntary reveal, but it has zero effect on how the Stealers can move on there turn (it effects how they are placed on the board though).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
zombie I am appalled, ShNar, you opened you Chritmas pressy laugh Also, actually playing it. Joking I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Well, as Oscar Wilde said: "I can resist everything except temptation"

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, not yet (though I found where she's hiding it ). I'm just going off of what I remember reading from the rules at my FLGS

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Orsó
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the answers, it's clear now! Just one more issue: does the GS player has additional reinforcements ON THE FIRST TURN? Like, he starts suicide mission with 4 blips? The rulebook doesn't specifically mentions first turn reinforcements, that's why I ask...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook actually states that each mission starts with X number of blips, and each turn the genestealer receives X number of blips. If there's no mention that the player recieves X number of blips except the first turn, why would you assume so?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be facitious, but a lot of rule questions come from players inferring rules that aren't there (another common one being the question if a marine can shoot a stealer "at point blank range"). There's no need to add rules that aren't there

So, to answer your question: yes, you start with the number of starting blips, AND you receive the normal blips-per-turn on the first turn (which is usually the same number of starting blips). For example: in Suicide Mission, the mission says you start with 2 blips and receive 2 blips per turn. This means on the Genestealer's first turn, he will have 4 blips to bring on to the board.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Orsó
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While double-checking the rulebook I've found that we are both right in some manner: while the reinforcement blips are added first turn as well, in fact I misplayed the game and played the recieved blips at the START of GS turn and not in the reinforcement phase as intended. In the end, it would still leave the GS with only 2 blips to "use" in the first turn, if I interpret this correctly. Am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antto Jokela
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right. Those first two blips are placed before SM-players first turn, at the setup. And GS-player receives only 2 blips at the reinforcement phase. At least that's how I understood it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rauscher
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord Vetinari wrote:
Hi!
- I know you can see through corners diagonally, but can you move/shoot/make a melee attack this way? I think yes, but I'm not sure.

Move: yes, note that facing does not change
Shoot: yes
Melee: no - you can only close combat a target directly in front of the model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.