Subject: Help me pick the best games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love board/card games, but I need to find one I will actually get to play. I've got games like Axis and Allies that no one wants to play because either it looks too hard or takes too long. I'm looking for a few games that are "simply complicated."

Here is my list right now:

Dominion+Intrigue - I hear this is easy to play and has many tactic that can be used.

Drakon-I love the creativity of this game and enjoy coming up with new tactics and ruining other plays'.

Bang!-I always loved games with hidden roles, where everyones suspicious and gets worked up.
--or--
Shadow Hunters-I like the neutrals objectives, but love the uncertanty of bang. I feel in this game there can too much certanty.

With bang!/Shadow Hunters I worried about the number of people required.
In Dominion I'm worried about being sucked into buying over priced exspansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The easy solution is not to buy expansions.

Simply complicated games:

- The world champ of this is Go.

- Court of the Medici has everything you like in Drakon and Dominion, but it's cheap, needs no expansions, plays viciously & brilliantly in 10 mins, and needs only 2P.

- Others:
Tigris & Euphrates
Through the Desert
Cartagena
Fairy Tale
Liberté (though it can be daunting to newbies)
Thurn and Taxis
Biblios
Zendo
Metropolys

Finally, The Castle of the Devil sounds daunting. But it has a lot of what attracts you to Bang, and only requires 3P to be a pretty great game.

edited several times because my keyboard at work hates me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a super simple game that has plenty of direct conflict go pick up Small World.

However, I think alot of perceived complexity comes from games that have too many components. Smaller, simpler games might yield better results at first. Then, once people get suckered in accustomed to different games you can introduce more complex games.

I would recommend the following which are fairly light in complexity, have beautiful components and feature interesting themes.

Jamaica - A simple pirate racing game with stunning production values and rules that can be learned in 5 minutes.

Citadels - A card game in which each player secretly chooses a special role to try and help them win the game. It's cheap, portable and very easy to get into. If you like games with conflict, bluffing and backstabbing this might be worth looking into.

Cosmic Encounter - This is such a blast and the rules are so simple. However, each specific alien race has a special power that breaks the rules and must be exploited to win the game. It looks daunting at first, so I don't recommend it right away, but you could easily teach the basic game to new players.

It's Alive! - A simple set collection game that is mixed with a buying/auction mechanic. You can get it fairly cheap and the cartoony Dr. Frankenstein theme is a hoot.

Good luck...

~ Bones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you've already made good choices for what you're looking for. As far as Bang vs Shadow Hunters goes, yes, they are similar games. The deduction in Bang is purely that. You have to deduce from actions taken. With Shadow Hunters, you have the opportunity to get more direct information. I can see an argument for either, but for me the decision was simplified when I played them both. People had a decent time playing Bang. People had a great time playing Shadow Hunters and they often want to play multiple times in a row. Shadow Hunters was a hit and two members of my gaming group now own it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the WWII theme (a la Axis & Allies), Memoir '44 is a game that is very easy to learn, and can be played in an hour for many scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KemKat K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne Very simple to explain and pick up but with some depth to the tactics. Good with 2-5 players and plays in under an hour. A lot of expansions/themes exist but are not necessary.

God Dice Great filler game. It is similar to yahtzee but with a fantasy/adventure theme. 2-4 players and around 30 min.

Shadows over Camelot Cooperative game. A little more complex but since everyone is working together it is less stressful for new players. It also has the option of playing with hidden roles (recommended once everyone is familiar with the game) which adds a pleasant twist. 3-7 players 1-1.5 hrs

Pandemic Another cooperative game saving the planet. Players are assigned roles with different skills and have to work together to cure diseases. very quick play and can open people up to trying longer and/or more complex games. 2-4 players, 45 min

Fluxx A great party game. No explanation needed as all the rules are part of the gameplay. great with any number of players and can be a nice short game. 2-30 min.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When was looking at total strategy games, I needed to choose between diplomacy, small world and imperial. I decided on diplomacy, but small world was a close second.

Court of the Medici could be interesting, however I haven't found an influence type game that I want yet. I also like unique game mechanics. So, if you know any games with unusual mechanics or a good influence game please tell me.

Fluxx looks interesting, but Idon't think its for me.

Thank you for all the suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tk fslocalking
China
Foshan
Guangdong
flag msg tools
How many people you usually play with ? This is the primary problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek5 wrote:
Court of the Medici could be interesting, however I haven't found an influence type game that I want yet. I also like unique game mechanics. So, if you know any games with unusual mechanics or a good influence game please tell me.

Fluxx looks interesting, but Idon't think its for me.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Kingsburg - I'm a big fan of this game partially because of the way you influence the advisers that help you build up your village...Each round every player roles three dice and based on the amount they role can place their die on the adviser they wish to ask for help (to get supplies etc...) Since each adviser can only be used once per season (round) this creates some interesting choices. It's a really brilliantly designed game that has been a huge hit with my group. I highly recommend it.

Ruse & Bruise - This is a card game where each person has the same deck of characters which are used to "bid" for a various goals each round. The theme of the game is that you are using these character's influence to help you achieve these goal. Its a very well done game that plays fast and offers plenty devious choices.

~ Bones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at who you play with.If these guys have pretty short attention spans, you'll need a pretty simple game to keep them in the game. My advice is to go for easy games so that even when you have new players, they can easily grasp a game. I was like you and I had games like Axis & Allies and Risk 2210 because I chose depth over anything else. But to this date, I've never completed a game of Axis & Allies.

Ticket to Ride has been a great hit with my friends. These guys are guys who play Xbox, Diablo 2, basketball, etc., meaning the theme is overlooked by these guys. It's a simple game that fits up to 5 and plays fairly fast.

I've played Dominion twice and it was okay. In the particular games I've played, there was a lot of card turning and replacing that it whizzed my head a bit. I didn't like the excessive shuffling as well. What I don't like about the game is that people can imitate each other since you start with exactly the same stuff as others. I prefer Race for the Galaxy since you start differently than everyone else, though the learning curve is admittedly harder.

As for Bang vs Shadow Hunters... Bang has more exposure to the people I know than Shadow Hunters. I do prefer Shadow Hunters though. Bang does have more characters than Shadow Hunters, but Shadow Hunters has more interesting characters. Bang might have a guy that can draw 3 cards instead of two. Shadow Hunters will have a vampire that heals life when he lands an attack.

Anyway, Bang feels very chancey. I've seen a guy draw 7 cards on his turn because he happened to draw extra-draw cards. Shadow Hunters on the other hand will nearly always be moving to a location, drawing a card (or not) and attacking (or not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KemKat wrote:
Carcassonne Very simple to explain and pick up but with some depth to the tactics. Good with 2-5 players and plays in under an hour. A lot of expansions/themes exist but are not necessary.

[

Goooood choice. Its THE game for lots of people as its so easy to pick up like the poster says and also very pretty. Better pretty than ugly. Lots of expansions that do make it even better and "meatier". New for Essen they show a wheel of fortune and a card game. But also the expansion before that, the catapult is if nothing else unique and nice to have. Carcassonne can keep You entertained for a loong time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Carcassonne, I would really like this game, but I think drakon will be better. I like tile style games so Carcassonne is on my future buy list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line. Rules are as simple as can be. Strategy is tricky, tricky. And it's cheap and portable and only needs one opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Lundin
Sweden
Åtvidaberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Condottiere

Samurai

Tigris & Euphrates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek5 wrote:
I like Carcassonne, I would really like this game, but I think drakon will be better. I like tile style games so Carcassonne is on my future buy list.:)

oh seems a lot of people like Carcassonne. Has sold around 3 Mio. copies. Its expendable, on the cheaper side of boardgaming...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.