United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

This thread is spawned from an earlier one I made at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/443120

My girlfriend is finishing up college and has to do a senior design project for her Graphic Design class. She decided to work with board games. She's currently looking for anyone that would like their game to have a graphic design make-over. If you are interested, please post here or send me a PM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested (I think I suggested the idea initially).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like her to make an Artscow deck for the Supremacy Fortuna deck found here.... http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/44338... She obviously has "wicked mad skills" that I obviously do not possess!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made a print and play card game called Gods: a Game of Righteous Smiting. I don't know if it's what she's looking for, but the version available right now is butt-ugly and she would have total liberty to make whatever she'd want.

You can find the game here: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39427
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of these games would be perfect candidates, given that the author has already (through the license) given all the permissions required for anyone interested in making an improved version:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/33151
("Creative Commons/Open Source Games")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does she like zoos/animals? I have a fun game I've been working on that involves traveling around a zoo and recovering lost items that a group of escaped monkeys have stolen from tourists. It would involve designing the board, 15 tourist profile cards, and ~20 lost item tokens. Most likely light and cartoony in nature.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention packaging and the rulebook!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a game with an ancient setting that need artwork for gameboards, and some suggestions for rules layout / design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Taylor,

Just in case your girlfriend likes drawing fantasy themed stuff:

I've got a dicegame with graphics taken from different sources.

I'd be very glad, if she could redesign it, so the graphics all look
a) professional
b) made by one person only

you can find it right here: http://www.catzeyes.de/blog/?page_id=10

Cya around,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are tons of fantasy-themed games that find their way on to this board. So if she was to design a set of broadly-useable fantasy graphics and make them open-source, they'd get a lot of use
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may look a stupid question, but what really does a graphic designer?
Its more about correcting size, manageability, location, what symbols best represent something in the components or more of graphics itself.
Taking mad b. game, Gods: a Game of Righteous Smiting as an example, what would she first suggests to improve as a graphic designer, just the first thing?
I think my problem is to understand where a graphic designer is placed between a designer and an artist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently hired a graphic designer to make a poster for a comedy show I was doing. We had some ideas, but no art or anything and the result resembles the flash animation you can find here: www.kramfrakb.dk

So to use my own game as an example I was hoping that a graphic designer could find a cool way to convey the information (numbers, coloured borders, font, card layout etc.) and maybe also put together some kind of artwork for parts of the game. But the first thing she'd propose to change in my game would - I guess - be everything :-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Quote:
but what really does a graphic designer?

A graphic designer conveys a message visually for impact.
An illustrator conveys a story or narrative visually.

It used to be that all graphic designers had a background in illustration (the narrative-building exercises help) but with the advent of desktop publishing, anyone with an Adobe product can produce static imagery. What graphic designers do mainly now is layout design for print & web materials. What illustrators do mainly now is draw pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I understand well any exclusively card game would be a loose senior design project for her Graphic Design class. It would resume to the design one card layout and a manual layout. With a bit of luck a few card layouts if there are more than one type of card.

Narrowing down the project to a board game with cards, board, bits, manual and other stuff game designers create I made a small search and I think Hoyuk may be a possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.