1805: Sea of Glory» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Looking for a VASSAL PBEM Opponent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marstov
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have received my pre-order and am very much interested in playing this game. Please send a GM if you would like to hoist your colors!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how it would be possible to PBEM...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marstov
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bkindt wrote:

Well, you'd be sending a fair amount of files back and forth for each turn, but there will rarely be more than a few blocks in motion so I don't think it would be too bad. Live VASSAL would certainly be better and I'm open to that (USA Central Time Zone) too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marstov
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bkindt wrote:

Just another follow up...I'm seven turns into a PBEM game using VASSAL. The first six turns took up 41 emails. The VASSAL module is fabulous with one minor problem: the files are huge, averaging over 650 Kb. With high speed internet that's no big deal, but if you're on dial up it might be a problem.

Otherwise it works really well. I'm really enjoying the game, despite a terrible blunder that cost me six ships sunk out of the Brest fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doane
United States
Walpole
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
650 Kb is huge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marstov
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rfdoane wrote:
650 Kb is huge?

Compared to the 4-10 Kb files for the other games I play on VASSAL, yes.

And I don't understand why it is so large. I write software for a living and the amount on information that actually needs to be tracked for a game like this isn't very big. There's maybe 100 counters which can be in two states each and have a location. You don't need 8 Kb per item to track that. I wonder if some game art or some other such is accidentally being included in the .vlog file. That would explain the size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.