Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
~Opening~

Another day, another round of Runebound. I was able to finish this game in about 2.5 hours this time. I think it's due to me understanding the rules better, and a few lucky item and ally cards! My first play session can be found here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/442955

I accidentally posted in the wrong forum. That won't happen again!!!

~Game and Expansions~

Runebound 2nd Edition with no expansions

~Setup~

After my last game of threat track 20, I decided I would try a slightly more challenging game of threat track 18. I also decided to set Bogran the Shadow aside and play a new character. I play with two market cards per town and only one armor and one weapon. Randomly selected character this game:

==================
Red Scorpion
5 wounds
4 stamina
Ranged 4/1
Melee 4/1
Magic 4/1
*Once per turn, you may take 1 stamina to cancel 1 wound
*Skills: Diplomacy +2
==================

Already I knew this game would play much differently than Bogran did! I was excited and ready to play.

~Session~

Like my last game, I started off wandering around taking out a few green challenges. My first encounter was the only one worth noting:

==================
Ambush!
2 wounds
Ranged 15/1
Melee 12/2
Magic 9/0
*Before Combat: Test Ranged (15) to spot the ambush. If you succeed, inflict 1 wound and start the first round of combat in any phase you choose (ranged, melee, or magic).
*Reward: 2g
==================

Well this was a no brainer - start in the Magic phase since I had no risk of damage and had equal stats across the board, and hope to get lucky in the ranged phase. I did, and this was a quick kill for an easy 2g. I spent time gathering gold and experience so I could buy a quick meat shield of an ally. As it turned out, I had acquired 7g before my first town trip. Two cards flipped - one is something useless and another is my first solid ally!

==================
Sister Celia (7g)
4 wounds
3 stamina
Ranged 0/1
Melee 3/2
Magic 5/1
*Melee and Magic: Sister Celia may take 1 stamina to receive a +2 bonus to her attack roll.
==================

Yes please 5/1 Magic (technically 7/1 since I don't worry about stamina much - easy easy easy to regenerate). Using her, I adventured about gaining gold and experience. I spent all my first few level ups into melee with my Hero. She was slowly becoming a machine, and this is very good.

I purchased a Black Dagger at some point in here for 2g. It added +2 to my melee rolls. It was like a free level up! Ahh the thrill of adventure!

Through a bit of wandering and gathering, I came upon an event that placed 1 face down market card on three different cities. Right after this, I drew a new event card that drained stamina in forests. But the benefit to this was the fact that these market cards were now face up due to the discarding/negating of the previous event! Guess who showed up?

==================
Ingan the Bold (8g)
4 wounds
4 stamina
Ranged 4/2
Melee 4/1
Magic 1/1
*Once per round, Ingan may take 1 stamina to cancel 1 wound inflicted on himself.
==================

He's alive!!! He was killed in my last adventure on the final battle, but he has returned to aid Red in her epic journey! I was so excited to see him again! I needed a ranged combat player and he fit the bill nicely. Guess what else turned?

==================
Soul Biter (11g)
Weapon: Sword
*Melee or Magic: After your Hero makes a successful melee or magic attack, activate to inflict +3 wounds.
==================

Needless to say, I went gold farming and grabbed this, replacing my janky little dagger in an instant. That means that my highly skilled melee Hero would be able to inflict 4 wounds per turn! Wow!

Upon leveling a bit more, I settled on the following stats:

+10 melee
+4 wounds

I also had a new ally!

==================
Runemaster Baras (10g)
4 wounds
4 stamina
Ranged 4/1
Melee 2/1
Magic 5/3
*Baras may take 1 stamina to let your Hero re-roll his combat dice.
==================

Sweeeeeeeet! Love that ability and his 5/3 magic! And I picked up a new armor that cancels 2 wounds being inflicted and inflicts 1 wound on the enemy. Very very useful!

But I still ran into this nasty little challenge (blue) before my end game began...

==================
No Safe Haven
4 wounds
Ranged 14/4
Melee 19/3
Magic 13/1
*Before Combat: Test Magic Resist (13) to withstand the flames. If you fail, take 5 stamina.
==================

Also, this is before I had my Soul Biter. I failed the BC roll with low dice AND a +2 bonus to resist that I picked up from a monster. No good! First round I defended with Red as I wasn't about to let a bad roll send Ingan back to the grave. Fail. I took 4 wounds, but was able to cancel 2 and send one back towards No Safe Haven. I saved the re-roll option for my melee attack as a just in case. I didn't need it though, and inflicted another wound on the enemy.

2 wounds in and Baras got his turn to attack. A failed roll on his part meant he took a wound. Back to the start. I rolled to defend with Red again and failed. Bad news! But I used the re-roll combat dice ability from Baras and was able to survive. My attack was successful in melee and Baras finished No Safe Haven off with a nice 3 wounds to lay a beautiful overkill. My level up added an extra wound for the fear of death in the trials and tribulations to come.

So on to my first end game challenge.

==================
Dragonlord Baraxis
6 wounds
Ranged 15/3
Melee 19/5
Magic 13/2
*Before Combat: Test Ranged Sneak (18). If you fail, you take 7 stamina.
*Reward: ...Activate "Before Combat" to discard up to 3 wounds and 3 stamina total from your Hero and Allies.
==================

I fought him last adventure so I was ready! Well, kind of...I failed the BC test and took 3 wounds because of it. Ugh. I used my shield to negate 2 of them and inflict 1 on him. OK, fair enough. I attacked with Ingan and failed. He took 3 wounds and put me in a scare...I was not going to let him die! Red attacked melee and pummeled with her 1+3 wounds. Dragonlord was down to 1 wound left. Of course Baras failed his attack and took 2 wounds...I needed to defend with Red as Ingan was in no shape to fail an attack. I failed to defend and took 3 wounds, meaning Red was in critical condition. Her melee attack was something like a 3 on the 2d10 and that wasn't enough either! Had Baras not been there to save me...*shudder*. I was able to re-roll that combat dice and deal the killing blow. The reward of healing was going to prove useful!

I trekked up to my next challenge, healing Red and Ingan all the way up. Next combat was straightforward with Dragonlord Droxor. I was able to cleanse 3 wounds with Baraxis's before combat ability. A very easy fight that was well needed. A few wounds were had by the hero defending for Ingan, but nothing that a little stamina healing wouldn't fix! I should mention that Droxor's reward allowed for my Hero or an ally to take an additional ranged or melee attack...*snicker*

My third end game challenge was of course to dreaded Margath.

==================
High Lord Margath
8 wounds
Ranged 19/4
Melee 21/5
Magic 20/5
==================

Alright, well I began with Baraxis's BC to clear all remaining wounds and stamina. I rolled with Ingan, as I really wanted him to have a chance to shine. Sadly, he didn't roll well - in fact, he rolled like death (literally). Snake eyes, on 2d10, 1% chance, LAME. Ingan isn't meant to see the cleansing of the land - he is forever going to be remembered posthumously. Nonetheless, Red Scorpion was not a happy camper. Her melee roll was mighty powerful with 1+3 wounds (I really love my Soul Biter). That put Margath at 4 wounds. I took a chance with Baras and rolled to attack. Guess what? I rolled a 16 on 2d10...Add that to his 5 Magic attack and BAM! Another 3 wounds on the puny Margath!

Round two of combat was going to end it - I just knew it! I failed my ranged defense roll, took the re-roll from Baras, and still failed and took the 4 wounds. I didn't use my shield here as I wanted to show Margath that the sword rules all. Red leaped in for the kill and did just that - destroyed the High Lord, restoring peace to the land again. Sadly, Red and Baras had to leave the fight without Ingan. But as I said before, I'm pretty sure someone up there doesn't want him to enjoy the cleansing. Heh - poor guy.

~Thoughts~

Well if it wasn't obvious enough, I had a blast once again! Red Scorpion played much different than Bogran did, mainly with the fact that she had a more useful ability and allowed me to customize her more with the balanced stats. I have a feeling each character will feel that way - either very balanced or heavy in one stat over another. Whatever the case, I think the shear number of variants I can put into effect will keep this game fresh for a while. I'm already excited to play my next game...I'm going to probably pick my character shortly and at least gain a few experience to see how he or she plays.

I can also say that I am already thinking of some interesting challenge variants. After I add in my challenge expansions that I'm getting soon and play with those, I think I'm going to try and see where I can go with it! I'd like to create a bit more of an epic feeling variant - one where you have to carry your character over multiple adventures. I'll create some top tier challenges and some wildly different encounters (if all goes how I have it played out in my head, haha) that will really add some strategy to the fights. Think reputation, questing, and mandatory meat shields! Adventure challenge variant here I come!

I will also be playing the Cities of Adventure variant soon to add some spice to the cities. I look forward to whatever comes! I will probably hold out on session reports for the next few games (unless I have a play that really sticks out) and will write my next one once I integrate some expansions. I'll write a session on my first play through both Island of Dread and Frozen Wastes and hopefully have some good things to say (and good ideas on how to maybe integrate them to my large scale adventure variant).

Thanks again for reading - hope you had as good of a time as I did!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelein de Cratia
Spain
Guayota City
Nivaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session! Where is my Runebound? I wanna play now!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice session report, and very thorough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.