Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Truthfully, how difficult is it to "punch" and assemble the miniatures?

I am not interested in painting, and barely interested in assembling, especially considering all the reports I read in these forums about how you need a set of snips and cutting tools. From what I read, getting the minis off the sprues requires the hands of a surgeon and possibly the sacrifice of livestock.

This may be blasphemy, but if this game came with pre-painted, pre-assembled minis, it would have been an instant purchase for me.

I know Hasbro relies on hordes of Chinese workers to paint their Heroscape figures, but it pains me that I can buy a box of 30 unique, adequately painted figures for $20 on sale while Space Hulk requires, reportedly, hours (or days) of preliminary work just to get to the point where you have most of the figures assembled along with a few broken ones which require further gluing.

Is there hope for someone who would want to just clip the figures from the sprues, click them together, and start playing? I have no desire to spend hours clipping, cutting, shaving, or filing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much what I did. Snip, snap, play.

But even the snipping and snapping took a while for me. So you are looking at a few hours of assembly, even if you are doing a crap job like I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
za nouge
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I don't think it takes longer than an hour to cut the miniatures out of the sprues using a utility knife... and I don't know what these other guys are doing, but I've had no problem with breakages and the like.

At that point you're ready to play the game – and it's a great game. You don't need to have painted miniatures to enjoy it, though I'm sure it adds to the aesthetics.

I feel like there's been quite a bit of moaning about having to cut out the miniatures, when honestly it's really not that big a deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the same thing as I painstakingly liberated my set.
For $100 You would think they could have gotten the figures off the sprues for us... Punching the cardstock is fairly easy but be very careful not to rip or tear the surfaces. There are quite a few sheet to contend with.

I have assembled my miniatures without any real mishaps but it did take me several hours of careful cuting and trimming.

I will be playing solo for a while to get the game mechanics down then work on my wife and kids to try giving it a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
don't worry, just do it. the problem is the attitude.

if you're in love with GW's minis, it'll take many hours of care and dedication. if you see them as player pawns, the whole punching thing will be done in less than an hour. that's what it took for me - and I was quite patient, using a small pair of scissors. if you care even less, all punching can be done in 20 mins.

and assembling is a joke - the terminator minis parts are numbered, the genestealer parts obvious. snap on models - no glue required.

depends on your point of view, really. my gamer buddies want to lynch me since I painted the termies pink & baby bluelaugh (gf's colour choice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very experienced with GW platics, and it only took me about 3 hours to assemble them, but that included gluing them, shaving off the mould likes, drilling-out gen-barrels(!) and photographing the whole process for the tutorial here on the 'Geek. I had no dificulty with any of it, iy=t was childs-play.

A lot of people who don't have any experience with GW plastics are having the opposite experience though. Some are expecting old-fashioned cheap plastic you can just "snap" away from the sprue it seems, which doesn't help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
How about the box? Is it difficult to remove the lid from the box? Is it slightly tight-fitting in any way, or does it remove easily?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
Just replace the miniatures with wooden blocks. ;-)

Seriously: You could search for painted GW miniatures on ebay. If you do not look for very well painted miniatures you don't have to pay much, but it may take a while to find miniatures with matching equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RKFade wrote:
How about the box? Is it difficult to remove the lid from the box? Is it slightly tight-fitting in any way, or does it remove easily?

you serious? really?

just for my personal interest, why is that important? modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
superjosef wrote:
RKFade wrote:

you serious? really?

how about the sarcasm detector? Does it come with one of those, 'cuz *someone's* is on the fritz...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witt
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I have never bought a miniature game but have always been interested in a modular board. I was going to buy Munchkin Quest but started to read more about SH and was really interested in the fast game play, combat and the board.

The biggest turn off for me was the models, I did not want to put them together and I did not want to paint them. I also did not want to hear my wife make fun of me for playing with toy soldiers. I went to my local game shop and let them talk me into buying it and I am glad I did.

Like I said I have never put models together and it took me about 2hrs. I was not rushing, I did glue them together and I did break one arm off but it was no big deal. I just glued the arm in place and you cant even tell which arm it was.

I really love this game right now and my wife likes it also. We have played 6 games since I bought it last Friday and I have got 3 games in with friends. I am even thinking about painting them now.

If the game play appeals to you then I would defiantly recommend buying it, don't let the model assembly hold you back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are ok with shelling out 100$ or equivalent *and* are ok with the wacky diorama poses *and* are ok with the slight possibly of getting stuff broke or missing when you open it *and* are ok with the, not so, slight possibly a few (or possibly alot) of breaks in the process...

Then Yes, go for it.

If one or mor of these is an issue, but you can fix-replace that issue. Then most likely go for it.

If the issues are un-solvable for various reasons. Then No. Pass on this one.

If you are crafts inclined. Then you can do a pretty good re-cration of the 1st ed game using current GW boxes of Terminators and Genestealers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
If you are ok with shelling out 100$ or equivalent *and* are ok with the wacky diorama poses *and* are ok with the slight possibly of getting stuff broke or missing when you open it *and* are ok with the, not so, slight possibly a few (or possibly alot) of breaks in the process...

Then Yes, go for it.

If one or mor of these is an issue, but you can fix-replace that issue. Then most likely go for it.

If the issues are un-solvable for various reasons. Then No. Pass on this one.

If you are crafts inclined. Then you can do a pretty good re-cration of the 1st ed game using current GW boxes of Terminators and Genestealers.

QFT.

This game, sadly, isn't really designed PRIMARILY with gameplay in mind. It's pretty much a vanity item. Everything is shiny, glossy, surfaces are embossed, gaming pieces are ridicilously detailed, more then a little fragile AND rather awkwardly posed which can mess with the actual gameplay. And whatever some of the people up there say, it's not really a piece of cake to assemble them; it will take you an hour of two of careful clipping and trying not to brake the excruiatingly fine details (like tiny pins where the arms are fixed or miniscule skull ornaments etc.). You will HAVE to do some shaving and filing, mostly because the bases are strongly connected to the spruces and will have protrusions which would make the figure wobbly (or unable to stand at all) if not shaved/filed/carefully cut off. And I would be REALLY surprised if you could do it all without having to use glue at some point.

However, underneath all the necessary (and unnecessary) fluff the actual boardgame is rather good.. no, it's bloody great. The ruleset is tight, squad management is very tactical and more then a little puzzle-like (which for me is a great thing), the asymmetrical nature of opposing sides (fast close-combat aliens vs. hevaily armed marines) works astonishingly well and the entire experience is rather atmospheric. So if you are willing to put up with some hassle it is more then worth it. Of course, if you decide you DON'T like it, it is still very probable you will be able to sell it for a bit more then you paid for it. So it's win/win, either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Berthold wrote:
Seriously: You could search for painted GW miniatures on ebay. If you do not look very well painted miniatures you don't have to pay much, but it may take a while to find miniatures with matching equipment.

This is a very solid suggestion, and it's going to be easier to find the figures than you might think. The terminator and genestealer figures used in 2nd edition are good quality sculpts and - here's the important bit - they were also released as standard 40k figures. So they're common as muck, and cheap. You should be able to find "reasonably" painted figures for a very good price.

That covers heavy flamers, storm bolters and power sword marines. For the thunder hammer, assault cannon and lightning claw marines you'll need to look at metal figures and they're rarer and a bit more expensive. But that's only three models - you could probably assemble those from the sprue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Counters are good idea. I was planning to do a magnetic mini travel edition with epic 40K figures but also considered counters. Much easier.

Also if you want to work even more try this:
ONEMONK workshop

See HYBRID BROOD ARMY

Has also marines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez Higgins
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Is there hope for someone who would want to just clip the figures from the sprues, click them together, and start playing? I have no desire to spend hours clipping, cutting, shaving, or filing.

Yes. I punched out the tiles and assembled the figures in an afternoon, during in-between-time while I was working. I used a knife to free some of the times and to cut the figures out of the sprues, and while there are a few fiddly bits, I didn't find it especially difficult. All the figures snapped together securely. Done and ready.

Buy and go play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal

Michigan
msg tools
mb
Windopaene wrote:
Pretty much what I did. Snip, snap, play.

But even the snipping and snapping took a while for me. So you are looking at a few hours of assembly, even if you are doing a crap job like I did.

+1

Even then it took me about 3 hours and included several broken figures and a sliced finger.

I recommend using snips. The following technique ultimately proved the best for me: snip the figure out of the sprue with some of the sprue still on it, then twist the sprue off. This gave a cleaner figure (less evidence of where the sprue attached) than trying to clip the sprue flush with the figure.

I also tried (1) snipping the spue as close to the figure while the figure was still on the sprue, and (2) punching out the figure from the sprue by pushing hard (this worked very well with some figures, but many other figures had delicate features attached directly to the sprue, and I was confident the "punch" method would rip the feature from the model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The technique I remember from my plane-modeling days is: first cut off the most fragile details (which would break away easily by themselves if you handled the figure too much), then the "fattest" ones (because if you leave them for last odds are your figure will fly away and get damaged after cutting the last one), and finally the "medium" ones which more often then not can be twisted off. If one part seems like a tough sunavabitch, cut the spruce together with the figure and cut it away once the entire figure is free. Nail-clippers do wonders for those protrusions on the bases, but filing paper is the best; even though you are damaging the underside of the base, who cares, it's more important to have a figure that can stand on its own then a wobbly figure with pristine underside.

But however says it's easy as a pie is either lying or is a surgeon with really tiny hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grimwade Arbigul
msg tools
I have never assembled any miniatures from sprues before, but I found the experience to be very satisfying and not too difficult. I did accidentally cut a pin by mistake & one of the gene stealers had a broken hand, but $5 dollars worth of Games Workshop plastic glue & I was all happy again. I'd recommend picking up the glue with purchase for peace of mind. The game is amazing both component-wise and fun factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me around 3 hours to clip, glue and assemble the miniatures...and I loved it. I primed them and I am having a buddy paint them for me. I have painted many minis in the past and have done a good job, but now that I have twin babies, I really don't have the extra time.
This game is a grid based minis game with detailed high quality plastic minis. GW would not have made a game with CMG quality miniatures.
If getting the proper hobby knife, snips, and file, and then using these to remove and assemble the minis is too much for anyone, hire someone else to do it for you ( for a case or two of beer ) or play Doom, which is a good game in its own right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
The technique I remember from my plane-modeling days is: first cut off the most fragile details (which would break away easily by themselves if you handled the figure too much), then the "fattest" ones (because if you leave them for last odds are your figure will fly away and get damaged after cutting the last one), and finally the "medium" ones which more often then not can be twisted off. If one part seems like a tough sunavabitch, cut the spruce together with the figure and cut it away once the entire figure is free. Nail-clippers do wonders for those protrusions on the bases, but filing paper is the best; even though you are damaging the underside of the base, who cares, it's more important to have a figure that can stand on its own then a wobbly figure with pristine underside.

But however says it's easy as a pie is either lying or is a surgeon with really tiny hands.

Yes, good advice. On the trickier ones, cut away the sprue area for the model part from the rest of the sprue frame first, and then proceed to snip the model part from the smaller 'frame.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
superjosef wrote:
RKFade wrote:

you serious? really?

It is an old joke my friend. He is being a cheeky monkey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i see.
sometime there will be a category in the wiki for decibel of the box fart.
you will see. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.