Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four of us got together for our first game of Chaos in the Old World tonight, and it was a huge success. The game is very manageable, and easy to learn - we finished in 2 hours. (Compare that to 5 hours for the first attempt at Age of Conan with the same players.) More importantly, we are all extremely eager to play again.

Each player takes the roll of an evil god, and contends with the other gods for mastery over a land divided into 9 regions. Each god has unique strengths and weaknesses, and you must pay close attention to these if you hope to do well.

There are actually two paths to victory, one by scoring points, and the other by advancing your god's Threat Dial a specific number of ticks. The points are acquired in pretty much the same (there are exceptions), but the requirements to advance the Threat Dials are unique for each god.

Each god also has a unique deck of chaos cards, a unique set of followers (three types per god, rated for cost, attack strength and defense strength), and a unique set of upgrade cards (which become available as the Threat Dials advance). So, there is much variety, and the game will remain fresh a long while as you play using different gods.

There is also a deck of 28 Old World cards, which are event cards that will create problems and opportunities as the game goes along. You only use 7 each game (8 with three players), so that is another source of variety which should help make each game unique.

In our game, Khorne (The Blood God) looked strong early, getting double bumps on the Threat Dials the first couple of turns as he gobbled hapless cultists in several areas. Tzeentch (The Changer of Ways) in particular was victimized, and ended up restarting on the opposite side of the board, after his followers were obliterated.

Nurgle (The Lord of Pestilence) was doing well, dominating the populous central regions, while Slaanesh (The Prince of Pleasure) earned a steady stream of points by dominating Estalia in the west. In the end, Slaanesh won by passing 50 on the victory point track. In addition to the multi-turn domination of Estalia, the points earned for having the most corruption in both Estalia and Bretania when they were ruined (the 2nd and 3rd regions to suffer that fate) were the deciding factor.

The 1st place finish in Bretania was the gamebreaker. Nurgle had held a substantial lead there, but Slaanesh edged him out 8 tokens to 7, after his upgraded Keeper of Secrets took control of Nurgle's Great Unclean One, and used them together to knock out 4 Lepers on the final turn.

So here's the bottom line: Chaos in the Old World is an asymmetric game with a very large problem space, arising from a simple set of rules (see the excellent 2-page rules summary by Universal Head, which tells you everything you need to know). It plays first time out in 2 hours, probably 90 minutes thereafter. It provides an immense amount of fun, and left our group buzzing about what we should have done, and what we will do next time.

If you're the sort who enjoys killing your buddies with plastic figures, run, don't walk, to get your hands on a copy of Chaos in the Old World. Trust me on this one - you won't regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good session report. I am looking forward to a play tomorrow night!

Tim

LOL edited...bad typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report--your group's feelings after the game mirrored ours exactly. I hope you enjoy the subsequent games as much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Donovan
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a really good first game of this, too. I think you need a re-match, though - the upgraded Keeper of Secrets can only control a Cultist or Warrior, not a Greater Daemon. The Great Unclean One should have had his due!

In our game we messed up the rule about not counting Peasants for Khorne's dial advancement...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems that Khorne loses big time in this game... are you sure it is balanced?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, this is fantastic. For the past few days since I noticed Sphere posting to the CitOW forums, I've been visiting BGG hoping to find his opinion of the game, and here it is. I find Sphere's views on games to be very trustworthy and interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post your session report, George.

I played a first game of CitOW last night, and it was very exciting and tense. I can't stop thinking about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 3 games - Tzeench, khorne & Slaneesh have won so far - seems balanced to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerosum wrote:
I think you need a re-match, though - the upgraded Keeper of Secrets can only control a Cultist or Warrior, not a Greater Daemon. The Great Unclean One should have had his due!

Oh, no! Now I've got to tell my buddy djarv he was robbed! Thanks for the info, though; I'll re-read and try to see if we did anything else wrong.

Zerosum wrote:
In our game we messed up the rule about not counting Peasants for Khorne's dial advancement...

So he should get an advancement for count killing peasants? I only remember Khorne killing one peasant, and I don't know whether the extra counter would have given him a bump on the dial, but clearly I robbed Jim as well... Now all I need is for somebody to tell me I shortchanged Tzeentch in some way, for Slaanesh's shame to be complete.

Then again, Slaanesh knows no shame. One more victory dance! devil

Hatchling wrote:
I find Sphere's views on games to be very trustworthy and interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post your session report, George.

Thanks for the kind words, Neil. blush I've known for a long time that you and I have similar tastes, and I always pay close attention to your comments as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, no, Khorne DOESN'T get dial advancements for peasants. You played it correctly (and I think Zerosum was just citing his own first-play foibles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenhope wrote:
No, no, Khorne DOESN'T get dial advancements for peasants. You played it correctly (and I think Zerosum was just citing his own first-play foibles).

Ah, good, so only Nurgle got the shaft. How could that be a bad thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Donovan
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenhope wrote:

That is correct, sorry if I was unclear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Jarvinen
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
stephenhope wrote:

I declare Nurgle = Master of the First Game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the kind of game that my friends and I prefer.

1. You get to be a god.
2. You get to use your power to kill others.

Adding this to my "want to play" list.
Thanks for the write up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djarv wrote:
Sphere wrote:

I declare Nurgle = Master of the First Game!

Do you think I'd have come near your favorite son if I thought it wasn't legal? Just look at him:

I had complaints from my Daemonettes, let me tell you.

Seriously, I was thinking how it might have turned out if we hadn't missed that. I would have taken one of Khorne's Bloodletters since Djarv Junior is exempt, so I would only have rolled one die less. I think I got 3 hits with 7 dice as it was, so not a great stretch to think it might have been the same from my end. You would of course have rolled 3 more dice, but it would have taken 2 hits to knock out one of my upgraded Seductresses.

My Final score was 54, and I am not dead certain, but I think yours was 44, as I remember thinking 10 difference in post-game discussion. My chaos token advantage in Bretonnia was 8-7, and I outscored you 9-4 to reach those final scores.

Had you netted one better in the corruption token count, we'd have split the points in Bretonnia 6-6, which would have dropped me to 51 and raised you to 46, so still a parade for Slaanesh. Had you netted two better in tokens, that would put us at 49-49, and left us with another turn to play.

I'd offer an asterisk on the win, but junior would just eat it. I vote for a rematch instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.