Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the Rio Grande edition with the bag. What a beautiful game!!! But it seems a bit tiresome to set up the tiles. angry

First I have to tip all the tiles out, turn them face up, and remove 1, 2 or 3 types of animals depending on the number of players. yuk

Then I have to put them back IN the bag, stir them, and fish out 15 tiles for the last stack (and this has to be sight unseen, so I must look in the bag while I do it, making sure I only take ones that I can only see the BACK of). ninja

(This is why I love Carcassonne - pick up the bag and GO!). meeple

There must be a better way!

One forum on here suggested not worrying about removing sets of animals at the start - do it as you go along.

For example ...before you start, draw out 1,2 or 3 animal tiles (depending on how many you're not using) and set them beside the trucks (Explain that these animals are a biosecurity hazard and must be shipped back to Africa). Any drawn animals matching these tiles will go on top of them (i.e. on the "ships"), not on the trucks!

However, this because it is harder to tell how many tiles are left to play. More seriously, you can't ensure there are enough legal tiles left in the last stack to end the game (although statistically it might be a safe bet). arrrh

Any suggestions?

Edit: Hey! And the unused trucks can represent the "ships" that will take the unwanted animals back where they came from - just turn them upside down!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I store all the animal tiles separately in a craft organiser... then when we set up, I just pull out the number of sets we need, and put them in the bag...

With a bit of practice it is possible to tell by feel alone which is the back of a tile (feeling the shape of the edges.. one side curves slightly more), so you can pull tiles out and orient them so that they are face down, without having to look.

I do agree that it's a bit frustrating to set up the game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I just calculated the stats (I have a PhD in maths though, so I probably got it wrong):

4 player game:
There are 112 tiles, you remove 1 animal first, leaving 10 tiles you don't want in the bag. IF more than 3 of them end up in the last stack AND you need to fill 4 trucks from the last stack THEN you're screwed. The odds of more than 3 ending up in the last stack are 2.85%.

3 player game the odds of more than 6 in the last stack are 0.60%.
2 player game the odds of more than 9 in the last stack are 0.08%.

I'd say it was safe (statistically speaking).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice craft box. I guess it's easier to sort the animals at the end of the game. But chucking them all back in the bag would be even easier!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Hey I just calculated the stats (I have a PhD in maths though, so I probably got it wrong):

< snip >

I'd say it was safe (statistically speaking).

If it were just a matter of whether you would have enough animals in the last stack to fill the trucks, I'd agree... but you are also screwing with how many of each legitimate animal there are in the bag during the game... each unwanted animal in the final stack means 1 extra legitimate animal in the bag.

manukajoe wrote:
Nice craft box. I guess it's easier to sort the animals at the end of the game. But chucking them all back in the bag would be even easier!!!!
Thanks. And yeah, it would... But it is definitely easier to sort them when they are all face-up and mostly in groups of the same type of animal, than if you are just tipping them out of the bag at the start. Alternatively you could throw them in the bag, and sort them out on another occasion, in-between plays (IF it's downtime on gamenight that is the problem).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:

If it were just a matter of whether you would have enough animals in the last stack to fill the trucks, I'd agree... but you are also screwing with how many of each legitimate animal there are in the bag during the game... each unwanted animal in the final stack means 1 extra legitimate animal in the bag.

I didn't consider this (told you a PhD in maths would be a handicap).

Regarding the possibility of not being able to fill all the final round trucks, I reckon you could just say it's bad luck.for the players who miss out. The change in the number of animals you mention would probably be minor too. All in all, the approach I am suggesting would probably work fine, don't you think?

Edit: The statistical conclusion is that you probably won't end up with many unwanted animals in the last stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest option is spend time when putting the game away.

I put each animal into a seperate bag with all of the babies in one seperate bag.

Then theres no sorting when setting up. and the time putting away is less because many of the animal are already sorted to some extent on the players boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Do only Christians play this game????? (like me!!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I agree that good organization in putting Zooloretto away, and most games for that matter, is the key to quicker set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Beukema
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep three species and all the babies in a perfectly-sized plastic tub. I play most frequently with only 2p, so if I play with more, I need only pick out the extra species from the tub to toss in the bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I've always found the game plays much, much faster if you play without the bag. I also find it much, much easier to quickly find the necessary tiles to remove when the tiles are not in the bag.

So its a win-win situation to not use the bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as an update, I got a craft box like Grimwold's above, and it's working well. I bought the "Polar Bear" expansion and I put that stuff in baggies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.