Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that the monster tier post on FFG has magically disappeared after the FFG website change. Does anyone have a copy/link to where the monster tiers were first created.

There is alot of talk on BGG about this monster being on tier X. But what does that really mean? Arn't higher tier monsters supposed to be more difficult for heroes to handle?

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiers of monsters showed up in Descent: The Road to Legend. Are you just looking for the rules on them or the actual stats for each tier?

Yes, as the monsters increase their level they get harder. They take more hits to kill, do more damage, throw more dice, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not talking about copper/silver/gold/diamond levels of monsters in RtL. I am talking about the tier structure for monsters where beastmans and skeletons are examples of tier 1 monsters. Razorwings, hellhounds and sorcerers are examples of tier 2. Nagas and manticores are example of tier 3's. And finally demon and dragons are examples of tier 4 monsters.

My question is where do these tiers come from? The only correlation I see is the number of minis provided in the game since they do not indicate the power level of the monster that well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies, I misunderstood. Can't help you out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Albani
Germany
Achern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i think with tier, you mean a creature ranking, made by fans to categorize the worth of the creatures (for the OL) in actual gameplay...

but i dont have such a ranking for you..., sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The forum search function is your friend...

http://www.geekdo.com/article/3588724#3588724

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
edroz wrote:
The forum search function is your friend...

http://www.geekdo.com/article/3588724#3588724

but but but.... I did... blush

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The monsters from the base game are extremely formulaic; they can be divided into four sets of monsters, with each set containing 1 melee, 1 ranged, and 1 magic, and all monsters within a set having the same amount of health and number of dice, the melee having one more armor than the magic, which has one more than the ranged, etc. Spawn cards also have the same cost and spawn the same number of monsters within each group, and monsters within the group have the same number of red and white figures. So it's almost impossible not to divide them into tiers--the designers obviously intentionally created them. They're even sorted by tier (after attack type) in the front of the rulebook.

The expansion monsters are less formulaic, and there's some disagreement about how to categorize them, but you can still place a lot of them fairly reliably.

But the tiers are not based on how useful they are--for example, beastmen are tier 1, but generally considered more useful than some tier 2s and arguably better than some even higher-tier monsters. The tiers are reverse-engineered from the designers' formulae, which aren't actually balanced, and which don't take monster abilities into account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clarke
United Kingdom
St Albans
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, here's how I'd categorise the (non Tomb-of-Ice: mabye someone can help out there) monsters, with ambiguities noted:

Tier 1: Beastmen, Skeletons, Spiders, Kobolds (except that Kobolds seem to be balanced mostly so that 2 kobolds=1 other tier 1)
Tier 2: Sorcerors, Dark Priests, Hellhounds, Razorwings, Ferrox
Tier 3: Trolls, Ogres, Golems, Naga, Manticores, Deep Elves, Blood Apes(?)
Tier 4: Dragons, Demons, Giants, Chaos Beasts

The main ambiguity is Blood Apes, who have the attack power and spawn cards of a tier 2, but are tougher than most tier 3s. I'd generally class them as tier 3, but you could argue either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen the Chaos Beast argued as tier 3, mostly on grounds of figure count, though.

Tomb of Ice:

Tier 2: Lava Beetles, Shades
Tier 3: Wendigoes, Medusae
Tier 4: Ice Wyrms*

* Ice Wyrms have the figure count for tier 3, but the spawn card (or lack thereof) for tier 4, and their stats are ambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.