Subject: Squad down, Squad Down..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne O Connor
Ireland
sligo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. So we finally launched our attack on the Hulk. Foolishly, we had read these reports of the Suicide Mission and thought to ourselves,"really, come on guys, how hard can this be?"...a Long corridor, a corner or two, one shot into the Launch control room? Easy! We're Space Marines!!

And oh, how the mighty fell...

Anyway, before that...Space Hulk. Components wise, this is definitely one of the most attractive games of this type ive ever seen. The individual Marine and Genestealer pieces are phenomenal in their design and detail. As opposed to a generic one pose piece for everyone, these pieces strike different poses and have individualised character. The Genestealer ripping through the floor, the Marine holding a genestealer head! The Floor pieces and tokens are gorgeously painted and really thick. Yes, Games Workshop made some effort in this game.

Hulk breached! In our first game, the Marines stormed up the Long corridor, positioning Overwatch Marines on the corridor ends. Genestealers being blown away as they ran at our Squad. No Survivors, These Bugs are going down!! The Marine Squad reached the first junction. The Sergeant Swerved to face an oncoming Genestealer. It gets in close, The sergeant swings his Power Sword and....Gets rip completely apart. The look on the Marine player said it all..."uh oh, I do not want these things near my troops". The squad advanced further, the Genestealers came wave aftr wave but were thinned out. The launch door is spotted. But more Marines have fallen. The Flamer began to lay down suppressive fire, holding off approaching Stealers by placing a burst of flame between the Squad and the Aliens! Victory in sight. Two Genestealers get in close, one is held back...the second bursting our from the Launch Control room and.....
In the words of another famous Colonial Marine. "Game over Man, Game over!"

Sides are switched. Ok, we've played and learned something. The Squad breaches the hulk, the Genestealers rapidly cluster in the confines near the Launch Control Room. The Squad advances and everything seems to be going great. Phenomenal rolls and nothing is getting close. The Sergeant screams "come at me, you Genestealer scum!" and engages in close combat, ripping Genestealers apart. Morale is high. The target is just around the corner ahead. Genestealers launch another wave of attacks. Theyre dealt with mercilessly! But then...The crossroads of death. 2 Marines fall at a crossroad, the lines are breached. The Sergeant engages again but this time his power sword misses and the genestealers swarm him. As he goes down in a scream of "onward Brothers!" the Flamer bakes the Genestealer Cluster that swarmed him! But the inevitable is about to happen. The Flamer and the sole other marine left are caught seperated. The other Marine hears the Flamer yell..."you want it!! Come get it!!"...He hears the familiar Flame burst, The Alien Screams, then...silence...Hes alone, Flamer is down...Squad is down...And a mass of movement is closing in on his position..........

Yeah. They dont call this scenario suicide mission for nothing. So two Good games, they dont take a day to play (we averaged about 40 minutes), quick to learn (i actually expected more complicated rules but amazingly no). As the Marine youre against a 3 minute timer for your moves and boy, it does add to the nerves in moments where you need make important decisions and you are stalling!!! Space Hulk is quality, well worth the cost and well worth the high ratings its earning here. Looking forward to the next Hulk Breach. Lock and Load!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Orsó
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice report, very similar to my own experience with the first 2 games. Everything goes well for the Marines, untill they get to the crossroad area under the launch control room, where for one reason or another, one Marine goes down, the squad is in dissarray,and the rest is a massacre.
I guess SM player has to keep his formation, but advance swiftly at the same time to do this. It seems possible for the SM to win (in our second game, it came down to the SM player not having enough CP to fire into the room before the flamer being torn apart), but It's quite esasy to mess up... but that's the beauty of this game in my opinion. You'll have to get experienced to actually have a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really didn't see what all the fuss was about and thought I'd finish this mission easy enough. Boy, was I wrong shake

Confident (kinda) I'll get it next time.

Was thinking of placing the Flamer near the front (maybe second position). 6 shots is actually quite a lot in such a quick game. The flames could keep the path clear for 5 rounds, couldn't they? Think we may have over-played the strategy and we might just need to be a little more direct, fast and agressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Was thinking of placing the Flamer near the front (maybe second position). 6 shots is actually quite a lot in such a quick game. The flames could keep the path clear for 5 rounds, couldn't they? Think we may have over-played the strategy and we might just need to be a little more direct, fast and agressive

I had the same experience this week too.

My buddy Andy and myself were playing SH for the first time and I began with the Marines, with the flamer in the third position I came quite close to the control room, but was torn apart by the stealers.

Then we switched the sides and Andy got his try on the suicide mission. he positioned the flamer in 4th position and also got close to the control room, while I was trying to put pressure on him by chasing his squad from the rear. In the final turn, only his flamer was left and also had enough APs to open the control room door --- BUT NOT ENOUGH POINTS TO SET IT ON FIRE --- with no CP´s left he was 1 AP short of winning the mission.

I could close in my GS that turn and rip him apart just about in time....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
--- BUT NOT ENOUGH POINTS TO SET IT ON FIRE --- with no CP´s left he was 1 AP short of winning the mission.

devil I love it.

Both games we played we had the Flamer in 4th position too. The only problem with that was his line of sight was blocked very often for use of his Flames to block corridors. Was thinking placing him in 2nd position so it'll be a 'hero or zero' situation with him. The remaining 3 or 4 could be used to protected his back side as his moves along burning all in sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After my first experience, I would put the flamer in the second position. Since the stealers are getting 2 blips each turn and the map is rather small, there are large amounts of stealers coming at you quickly. flaming them is quite a nice way to defend yourself. Additionally, It will block rooms / corridiors from advancing stealers. which might come in handy. Just pay attention not to spend all shot on the stealers arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Containerguy"]
Quote:

Then we switched the sides and Andy got his try on the suicide mission. he positioned the flamer in 4th position and also got close to the control room, while I was trying to put pressure on him by chasing his squad from the rear. In the final turn, only his flamer was left and also had enough APs to open the control room door --- BUT NOT ENOUGH POINTS TO SET IT ON FIRE --- with no CP´s left he was 1 AP short of winning the mission.

Hello there

As the mission ends IMMEDIATLY when you flame the controlroom, you can spend up to the full 6 CP on your last turn, as there will not be any check on whether you spent too many CP (no end of turn step).

Originally I thought this to be very much against the idea of the game. But as of now I am fine with it. Simply look at it being the final effort the Marines make to reach their objective - very much 40k-stylish (and the Marines need it too - my expereince is kind of 6-0 for the Genestealers in Suicide Mission)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Hello there

As the mission ends IMMEDIATLY when you flame the controlroom, you can spend up to the full 6 CP on your last turn, as there will not be any check on whether you spent too many CP (no end of turn step).

Originally I thought this to be very much against the idea of the game. But as of now I am fine with it. Simply look at it being the final effort the Marines make to reach their objective - very much 40k-stylish (and the Marines need it too - my expereince is kind of 6-0 for the Genestealers in Suicide Mission)

Very Munchkin like devil
I can be a sly git myself in games but this might be too much for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O Connor
Ireland
sligo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DirtyDubs wrote:
Quote:

Hello there

Very Munchkin like devil
I can be a sly git myself in games but this might be too much for me

You guys are devious. You should play Junta!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
murks666 wrote:
Containerguy wrote:

Hello there

Mission Status phase, page 18, says "After the victory conditions have been checked (in other words, the room has been flamed), the Space Marine player reveals the command point counter to show that he has not expended more than he had for the turn...".
The Mission Book does say the Space Marines win immediately but the "win" state is checked in the Mission Status phase, along with the command point counters. There's no way this was meant to bypass the CP limits.

This is along the same lines as spending minutes looking at the board as the Space Marine player while holding the command point token. I'd throw a cat at you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vezner
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The "win immediately" part of the scenario means that whatever the genestealers do, once you flame the room you win.

People wanting to use more CP than they have on that last turn are breaking the rules. The rules state that you cannot use more CP than you have. This is a separate rule from the rule that you lose in the mission status phase if you used more CP than you had. So if you use more CP than you have, you are breaking the rules of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis wrote:
murks666 wrote:
Containerguy wrote:

Hello there

Mission Status phase, page 18, says "After the victory conditions have been checked (in other words, the room has been flamed), the Space Marine player reveals the command point counter to show that he has not expended more than he had for the turn...".
The Mission Book does say the Space Marines win immediately but the "win" state is checked in the Mission Status phase, along with the command point counters. There's no way this was meant to bypass the CP limits.

This is along the same lines as spending minutes looking at the board as the Space Marine player while holding the command point token. I'd throw a cat at you.

Reading trough the rules for at least ten times I did not see that. Thank you very much for the insight AND sorry to confuse other players.

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.