Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Cuba» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Itamar R
Israel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Is the money of each player hidden or not?
2) When playing the Lighthouse, what happens to the ship I take out of the water? Is it discarded from play or reshuffled with the rest of the ship pile?
3) If I use the church at the first turn, but not on the second turn, is the veto tile still blocking the bill type I vetoed during the first turn (I guess not, but wanna be sure)?
4) At the beginning of the game, do players get to choose their initial resources / products before or after the first 4 bills are revealed? Do they choose in accordance to their turn order?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Leptoquark wrote:
1) Is the money of each player hidden or not?

According to the rules, page 5: "Each player receives 10 Pecos. Each keep his money openly in front of him."

Quote:
2) When playing the Lighthouse, what happens to the ship I take out of the water? Is it discarded from play or reshuffled with the rest of the ship pile?
The card is exchanged with a random card from the deck. While it isn't specificly mentioned, I am sure it meant to be discarded or added to the bottom of the deck - which amounts to the same, as there are more cards than needed in a single game.

Quote:
3) If I use the church at the first turn, but not on the second turn, is the veto tile still blocking the bill type I vetoed during the first turn (I guess not, but wanna be sure)?

The blocked bill is taken out of the game - so it can never come back during the same game. The veto is only blocking the stack from being vetoed again during the NEXT turn - whether the Church power is used or not.

Quote:
4) At the beginning of the game, do players get to choose their initial resources / products before or after the first 4 bills are revealed? Do they choose in accordance to their turn order?

Yes, do it in turn order if the players feels it matters.
You select resources during the set-up.
The bills are only revealed during game play (phase 1 or each round).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Ottery
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
The card is exchanged with a random card from the deck. While it isn't specificly mentioned, I am sure it meant to be discarded or added to the bottom of the deck - which amounts to the same, as there are more cards than needed in a single game.


Not a random card, SFAIK - the lighthouse ability allows you to choose which ship card is going to become available. Certainly my rules state "Allows for exchanging the ship at sea for any one from the pile." (emphasis mine)

The replaced card goes back into the pile, but there's not really a lot of point in reshuffling, or deliberately placing at the bottom, since the lighthouse owner is likely to re-use the building in future turns and be able to select freely again.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luis dlc
Panama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually using the lighthouse more than once, and other than on the first turn, makes it a very bad building. Let me explain:

The rules specify as you said. BUT nothing stops the lighthouse owner from 'putting the cards in certain order' while "looking for the one I want".

Actually this must be the way the card was intended to be used. That way, you use the lighthouse once, and set the course of the ships for the rest of the game.

Since there is only one lighthouse, no one can alter the order you set.

This makes the building actually useful. Used in any other way makes it more a problem than a benefit.

AND, that's the ONLY way it makes sense it is a LIGHTHOUSE. The owner of the lighthouse KNOWS what ships are coming. As opposed to the owner of a lighthouse ORDERING a ship before/after another.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mal Content
United States
Caln Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
luisdlc wrote:
The rules specify as you said. BUT nothing stops the lighthouse owner from 'putting the cards in certain order' while "looking for the one I want".

Actually this must be the way the card was intended to be used. That way, you use the lighthouse once, and set the course of the ships for the rest of the game.

Since there is only one lighthouse, no one can alter the order you set.

This makes the building actually useful. Used in any other way makes it more a problem than a benefit.

AND, that's the ONLY way it makes sense it is a LIGHTHOUSE. The owner of the lighthouse KNOWS what ships are coming. As opposed to the owner of a lighthouse ORDERING a ship before/after another.

Disagree. You're reading too much into the rules to permit the owner of the lighthouse to order the remaining cards. The benefit to the lighthouse owner is to almost immediately create a shipping opportunity of which only he can take advantage (assuming the lighthouse owner chooses a ship which can carry only items he has).

Thematically, it makes more sense for the lighthouse owner to only choose the next ship coming into port. Presumably, the ships in the deck are all at sea or in other ports at other places. It's too much to believe that a lighthouse owner could dictate the order of ships coming into Cuba that might not yet have left their present port. A lighthouse is not like a control tower at an airport. On the other hand, being able to choose the next ship into port reflects the advance knowledge a lighthouse owner would have, since such a person would be the first to have contact with a ship at sea, and thus "know" what it can carry.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.