Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Nyarlathotep's "A Thousand Masks" & ignoring skill and ally bonuses at will rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mihael R
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
You, just sit in the car and keep the engine running. Any questions?
badge
Remember, I'm the monkey and you're the cheese grater, so no messin' around
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I have two questions:

1.) What does the following actually mean (it's printed on Nyarlathotep): "Multiple Mask monsters can be in play at once"?

2.) Sometimes it suits me to have a lower skill than I actually have. Let's say that I have a skill card +1 Lore and an Ally +2 Lore in play. Can I ignore these bonuses whenever I want? For ex, when I draw an encounter where if I pass a Lore (-2) check I get a spell AND lose 1 sanity, but if I have one last sanity, then it doesn't suit me to pass the check.

Thanks,
Regards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) When you use Nyarlathotep, you add the five Mask monsters to the cup, whereas they would not be used in any other game without Nyarlathotep. The rule just states that there can be more than one of those monsters in play at the same time; you're not limited at having just one in play. You can have all five.

2) You can't ignore skills and allies, as they grant innate bonuses. The only real option you have to failing a check is during combat, you can choose not to use any of the weapons or combat spells you have. Players often do this to take advantage of the Nightgaunt's combat ability. I've even used it once as Sister Mary on the Dimensional Shambler to get a free trip to the church.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihael R
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
You, just sit in the car and keep the engine running. Any questions?
badge
Remember, I'm the monkey and you're the cheese grater, so no messin' around
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
1) When you use Nyarlathotep, you add the five Mask monsters to the cup, whereas they would not be used in any other game without Nyarlathotep. The rule just states that there can be more than one of those monsters in play at the same time; you're not limited at having just one in play. You can have all five.

But, they are still subject to normal limitations, like the number of monsters in Arkham, Outskirts etc.? They are simply treated as all other non-mask monsters?

Thanks,
Regards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
meehael wrote:
kungfro wrote:

But, they are still subject to normal limitations, like the number of monsters in Arkham, Outskirts etc.? They are simply treated as all other non-mask monsters?

Thanks,
Regards!

Yes. They are treated as normal monsters. the rule is just there to make it crystal clear there is no limitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.