Popular Tags: [View All]
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter looks like a great game, but the sci-fi theme will most likely turn off the people I play with. Is there anything else that plays like it with a different theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think much comes close. Maybe Illuminati for some aspects like building a power base and having other ally or oppose you. or Small World for the variable powers (or Vinci if looking for something non-fantasy)

but if you take all the aspects of CE and look for another game with them, I don't think you will find anything matching...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Game of Thrones (first edition) offers a surprising amount of overlap with CE: pick your battles (on a map), call for allies, each player plays a card to adjust combat results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started a similar thread a while ago...you can check it out for a few answers...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/384101

Basically the answer people kept telling me was Dune. Apparently, Fantasy Flight Games is reprinting it, except they are going to use a different theme.

Good luck.

~ Bones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
jwoodall04 wrote:
I don't understand the Small World suggestion. Honestly, Cosmic is so different from most games I'm having a hard time naming a similar one.

I'm a little surprised at your bafflement; it doesn't translate directly at all, but there are variable powers for each faction that change from game to game.

Age of Gods has a lot of overlap with CE as well - a special power for each player that changes from game to game and cards that affect combat and offer special advantages.

And War on Terror doesn't have special powers, but it does have 2 decks with special effects and the kind of highly chaotic, constantly and rapidly changing, 'anything goes' environment that defined CE. For that matter, their new release Crunch: The Game for Utter Bankers has all that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.