skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmb
Hey all,

I have some questions for you gurus out there. I have a couple of PDFs from a website that I would like the graphics out of them so I can use them as graphics for an ArtsCow deck. However, since these are PDFs I cannot get the images out.

Does anyone know of way to extract images out of a PDF that is not freely editable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
Hey all,

I have some questions for you gurus out there. I have a couple of PDFs from a website that I would like the graphics out of them so I can use them as graphics for an ArtsCow deck. However, since these are PDFs I cannot get the images out.

Does anyone know of way to extract images out of a PDF that is not freely editable?

A quick easy method is just to use the print screen then paste into PS/Gimp whatever and edit.

That is what I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you try openening them in Photoshop? If they are not protected you should be able to open them (you'll be asked to set resolution and which page to open).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
mbmbmb
scivias wrote:
Did you try openening them in Photoshop? If they are not protected you should be able to open them (you'll be asked to set resolution and which page to open).

Not yet, but my photoshop is quite old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Its a fancier way than print screen, but I really like the free software Jing, which can be found here: http://www.jingproject.com/. It will cut out the parts you want from your screen and save them as an image. You can do some editing to the image as you take the snapshot. You can also record your screen in order to make tutorials and what not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can open the PDFs directly into Gimp. I'd try that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be careful with screenshots. If the original PDF is print quality, you will be severely dropping the resolution which will affect the final product at ArtCow.

I use the screenshot method when I'm doing graphics for the web, but for print a screen's size is pretty small. [Assuming a very minimum 300 DPI means that your screen would only be 3.5 inches high in print format.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mama Rat
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the snapshot tool in Adobe to outline just the image I want and copy it to my clipboard. From there you can paste it into any photo editor (or just into Publisher, then right click to save as picture).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
For instance..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
mbmbmb
I fiddled with GIMP and so far looks good. I don't know most of the commands and such, so that will take some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
For instance..

And Cold Fusion could probably kick your ass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use PDF Creator to "print" the page to a jpeg file and than edit it as you please on Photoshop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Guantanamo wrote:
KSensei wrote:
For instance..

And Cold Fusion could probably kick your ass.

Fixed that for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have Adobe Illustrator? I used to take pdf files into Illustrator and was able to save out different graphic elements, usually as jpg files.

But, if you can't separate the elements, you may have a hard time getting a good enough resolution for print purposes. Web graphics are fine at a resolution of 72, but for good print you need at least 300...and this will probably make the image too small to be useful.

Hate to suggest this, but have you looked for alternate images elsewhere that might be 300 dpi...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.