United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Okay there are a variety of racing ames out there using a variety of moethods of simulation. Rank what you see as most to least important.

Mike
What's important in a Racing Game?
  1 Least Important 2 3 4 5 6 7 Most Important
Driver versus Driver
Driver versus Track
Car Setup
Car management (wear points, etc)
Realism
Statistics for real racing used
Player interaction
      46 answers
Poll created by mcgartlin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to say it - but racing (whether horse, chariot, car, bicycle or foot) needs to be every bit as aggravating in a game as in real life. The best horse doesn't always win, the best driver doesn't always make the curves properly, the best car sometimes breaks down. A straight up statistics game is too predictable in its outcome and a wildly random game too aggravating to play. The most enjoyable type for me would be a game like Circus Maximus as far as set up is concerned (and some race action driver vs driver) and like Winner's Circle for game play randomness and like Win, Place & Show for track effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlin Back
United States
COLUMBUS
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a good racing game maintains a level of tension. Even when I play solo Formula De, tension can be felt. I suppose balanced cars and drivers are a key to that. To paraphrase another poster, "if it's not aggravating, it's not racing". That's part of the tension. Noting worse than thinking you have a race locked then some crazy driving fool passes you for the win! "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's another element that's important to me that I don't think the poll handles.

OK, let's take Formula De. We all have the same car, etc and we try to come in first. Fine.

Now look at something like Daytona 500. You get some cards, you bid on the cars you want to make yours,and then you hope to win. For me, this doesn't work. What if I draw a great hand for red and you draw an okay hand for either blue or red. I bid for and get the red car. You end up with the blue. The race hasn't even started and I have a major advantage in that all of my cards are good AND half of your cards are good for me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, i don't think any of the things you mention, other than Player Interaction, are important at all.

What i want in a race game:
1. Fast Play (Races are quick affairs and involve quick decisions, not endlessly sitting around waiting for some guy to make a choice.
2. To help with #1, Easy Rules (Nothing too complex or the decisions take longer)
3. Player Interaction (Can I mess around with things to screw the leader?)

All the rest, while interesting and flavorful, will not get me to play a game if the above items are not present.

PS. Does this post/poll presage a 2nd game or perhaps a revised edition from the McGartlin Motorsports team?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Garton
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are in the process of artwork for a 3rd printing of the Stock Car Championship Racing Card game.

We are also readying Formula Road Racing for a small print run.

But what I'm working now is 'gadget racers'. All of the above, except statistics come in to play.

Car setup - what gadgets to include
Track is geomorphic pieces for a variety of layouts
Driver versus driver - both in passing and gadget offense/defense actions.
driver versus track - you better build and race your car to the track
car management - tires, engine, transmission, suspension all have point management to them.

This is not car wars, gadgets are used to help your car, hinder your opponent, in a non-lethal way.

Gadgets are both vehicle placed and track placed, with the owner activating the 'gadget' Cool way to get yourself down a straight (the conveyor) activated foward, or activate in reverse on your opponent.

We've finished the track, cars, preliminary gadgets and are playtesting at the moment. Fairly tongue in cheek with a definite screw your opponent flavor.

The leader is definitely punished by the rest of the players, but the players have to balance 'gadget use' between the leader and other players in front of them to move up positionally. Plus you still have to drive and pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As something of a fan of race games - and one who has been disappointed over and over and over again in the past - I want what David wants. It *must* feel like a race. Which means that more than anything else, it must feel fast. I don't much care whether it has luck (like Powerboats) or a simulation aspect (like Leader 1) or be a mish-mash of older ideas and mechanics (like Turfmaster). But - like all three of those games, largely for different reasons to one another - it must feel fast, exciting, and ideally look and work a bit like the real thing it's trying to represent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also am looking for the things that david suggested. I want the game to be fast and intuitive. Why not a race game with sandtimers to force split second decisions. I dislike race games where players count ahead the spaces to decide on their move. Why not a race game where the player chooses a move intuitively then the move is played out.

Simple, fast, split second decisions, player interaction, etc.

It should not take more time to play one lap of the race game than the real race would take. If a horse race takes 1 minute to run then the race game should take no more than 3 to 5 minutes to play.

If a car race takes 2 to 4 minutes per lap in real life then in a game it should take no more than 4 to 8 minutes to simulate a lap. How many car race games are there out there where it take over 30 minutes to simulate one lap. At a half hour per lap how do you expect the game to be exciting and how do you expect to run a 10 or 20 lap race?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
Honestly, i don't think any of the things you mention, other than Player Interaction, are important at all.

What i want in a race game:
1. Fast Play (Races are quick affairs and involve quick decisions, not endlessly sitting around waiting for some guy to make a choice.
2. To help with #1, Easy Rules (Nothing too complex or the decisions take longer)
3. Player Interaction (Can I mess around with things to screw the leader?)

All the rest, while interesting and flavorful, will not get me to play a game if the above items are not present.

PS. Does this post/poll presage a 2nd game or perhaps a revised edition from the McGartlin Motorsports team?

Amen brother. Fast,easy, good interactions. F-U-N above all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.