Popular Tags: [View All]
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been listening to a lot of boardgame podcasts lately and have been hearing people mention their reluctance to buy into the hype of certain newer games (not necessarily this year, but in general). I'm fairly new to BGG and I was just wondering what games in the last few years have shot up to the top of the charts only to fade away after a few months or a year or so. Also, is there somewhere on the site to check the game ratings from past months/years?

Thanks,
Nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Nash
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
I'm fairly new to BGG and I was just wondering what games in the last few years have shot up to the top of the charts only to fade away after a few months or a year or so. Also, is there somewhere on the site to check the game ratings from past months/years?

Thanks,
Nate

I've been lurking here for a few years and several games have been quite popular at the outset, but have fallen off with time. (Thurn & Taxis & Leonardo DaVinci come immediately to mind.) They are replaced by other 'fast movers', which, I expect will also suffer the same fate eventually.

But when you see a game that has been around 5+ years and is in the top 50, I think that game is definitely worth a look.

I also think that if you see a game hit the top ten in its' first year, it's probably a passing fad.

MadK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the geeks cult of the new shows in the posts and the recommendations.

Exhibit a): A person asks for recommendations on whatever comes to mind. Apart from some of the old staples (Puerto Rico, Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan) almost all recommended games are new(ish).

Exhibit b): Watch the forums for reviews for older games. Nothing comes out, except again for some posters (thank You!!) that review Carcassonne etc.

The older games are mucho fun I assure You. And cheap to get too in a lot of instances. Whats important is that its a good game, pleases You and is new to YOU.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the 'cult of the new' is about people playing only the latest releases. As new games are released, the flavour of the week or month changes. The result is people playing many different game, but playing them fewer times each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
There probably is a "cult of the new", but it would be fair to say that there's a "cult of the old" too.

Whining old farts wrote:
Oh, it's dreadful that all these new flash-in-the-pan games are displacing my old favourites from the top ten... What's Le Havre got that El Grande hasn't? Nothing, that's what... The old ones are still the best, I don't care... blah blah blah...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
There is/was a tool someone put together that tracked the historical ratings statistics (Matthew Gray?) which can tell you whether the game peaked upon release and then dropped off, or whether its ratings grew steadily.

Wish I could find it again.

Here it is:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/334607

Edit: Seems to be out of order, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammerite wrote:
There probably is a "cult of the new", but it would be fair to say that there's a "cult of the old" too.

Whining old farts wrote:
Oh, it's dreadful that all these new flash-in-the-pan games are displacing my old favourites from the top ten... What's Le Havre got that El Grande hasn't? Nothing, that's what... The old ones are still the best, I don't care... blah blah blah...

Yes! Nothing like good old Monopoly. All games are like Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To Mega Therion
United States
flag msg tools
badge
No, no no no. No, no. No, sir. I don't know what kinda vibe you think you got off me but I don't play that way. I'm not that way!
mbmbmbmbmb
As notd by several people on the thread you linked, the mkgray graphs are blank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are You sure it isnt like children where they always need/want a new toy and the old ones are yes indeed old and forgotten?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
I was just wondering what games in the last few years have shot up to the top of the charts only to fade away after a few months or a year or so.

Nate, the short answer is none. BattleLore (which made the top 10 at its height) had a rather precipitous fall after it became apparent that DoW wasn't able to support it as they had hoped, but that's really the only outstanding case I can think of. And even in BattleLore's case, it's still ranked in the top 40.

If you look at the top-rated games, you'll see a huge number of designs that debuted over the past couple of years. That's just the way things always work on the Geek. As a result of this emphasis on the new, older games tend to slip in the standings as newer ones pass them by. But their drop is usually due to the appearance of these new games and not because their average rating is going down (other than a standard mild reduction in ratings with time that virtually every game experiences). So the notion of the "hyped" game is something of a myth, perpetuated by ratings inflation of newer titles. Invariably, when a game makes a strong impression for a sustained period of time, it continues to do well in the ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, for me, I think it's the horns that attract my attention the most. I mean, if you look at them and how they curve, you sort of....er, wait a minute...my bad, I'm sorry, I thought I had just clicked on "Cult of the Gnu"! Never mind...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In all seriousness, you aren't likely to find games that have a meteoric rise followed by a severe crash in the BGG rankings. That's generally because most people rarely change their ratings, so once a game garners a boatload of "10's" at the outset (due to, in many cases, marketing hype but also due to genuine quality), those ratings remain, and the relative trickle of ratings that come in over the long haul are not going to impact the overall game rating much either way. I would also add that most games that have experienced this kind of hype (Caylus, Agricola, Space Hulk) are generally very good games, and with as broad a readership as BGG has, you can usually rest assured that a game with a high rating probably deserves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Xeenu wrote:
Are You sure it isnt like children where they always need/want a new toy and the old ones are yes indeed old and forgotten?

Undoubtedly...

I see two obvious ways to look at "cult of the new" status.

First, what percentage of total game plays are from the current and previous year?

For me, the average is 31%, but varies widely. Last year, it was over 73% because I played Race for the Galaxy so much. This year's running very low (under 22%), as neither of my most played games (Race and Bridge) count.

Second, what percentage of total game plays are from games first played in the current and previous year?

Here, my average is much higher - 47.5%. This really points to my "new toy" tendency. Interestingly, here the standout is the _low_ total under 18% in 2008, as the large number of plays of Race don't count - I first played the game in 2004. 2009 is currently running at just under 36%, which would be a low total if not for 2008.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Aaron
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Binko wrote:
But wargames are still made from cardboard, paper, brainpower and little else. No reason to assume that recent designs are any better than those from ten or twenty years ago.

Sure, there's no reason to "assume" that newer games are better, but there are legitimate reasons to argue that they are. I'm not particularly familiar with wargames, but for board games in general, I would definitely say the games of the past decade are better than the ones of any previous decade, on average. The hypothesis for this is that board games have become much more popular (though still a niche market), and thus there are many more designers creating them and gamers testing/reviewing/critiquing them. Also, newer designers have the ability to study the games of the past and learn which mechanics and themes worked well, which did not, and to implement this knowledge in current board game design, resulting in generally superior products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
Xeenu wrote:
Hammerite wrote:

Whining old farts wrote:

Yes! Nothing like good old Monopoly. All games are like Monopoly.

Monopoly's not old. It was published in the mid 20th century.

A game has to date back at least to the 19th century to be old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Russell
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Binko wrote:
But wargames are still made from cardboard, paper, brainpower and little else. No reason to assume that recent designs are any better than those from ten or twenty years ago.

Sure, there's no reason to "assume" that newer games are better, but there are legitimate reasons to argue that they are. I'm not particularly familiar with wargames, but for board games in general, I would definitely say the games of the past decade are better than the ones of any previous decade, on average. The hypothesis for this is that board games have become much more popular (though still a niche market), and thus there are many more designers creating them and gamers testing/reviewing/critiquing them. Also, newer designers have the ability to study the games of the past and learn which mechanics and themes worked well, which did not, and to implement this knowledge in current board game design, resulting in generally superior products.

I couldn't have said this any better. The games ARE better, and this site has a lot to do with it. I won't buy a game without seeing the feed back on this site AND reading the rules. I know that when I pull out a new game to play, the uninitiated will play and ask "where do you find these games?".

Designers are on here and the competition to put out very good games is pretty intense, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't necessarily consider dropoffs in ratings over time to be a result of initial over-hype. Some games are like popcorn action/adventure movies -- a wonderful and exciting experience that is meant to be enjoyed for a short time, but no real staying power.

They're just as deserving of the moment's praise as more "serious" games. Just don't expect to be playing them 10 years down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And that is exactly why the tried and tested games are a good bet to get and good games. Look at the SDJ list and You wont find any game that is bad. You will enjoy all of them today and tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.