Doom: The Boardgame» Forums » Variants

Subject: House rules for 5 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Lickers
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey all,

I like the looks of this game, and am considering picking it up. The only problem is my gaming group usually consists of five players. Can the rules be modified effectively to include a fifth person (i.e. a fourth marine)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelein de Cratia
Spain
Guayota City
Nivaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up the Expansion. With it you can play with other three players (six marines plus one Alien).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. Some would say the game doesn't scale so perfectly as it is so I have to wonder about adding another marine. Here are scaling issues you'd need to consider :

1. Each room has a number of creatures set up for it based on how many marines are playing. You might have to add more.

2. Ammo is a major concern in the game. There's a set amount on the layouts. With one marine, he keeps it all to himself. With five... ammo might be really tight. You might have to consider adding some.

3. The Invader's ability to spawn is constant. The more marines you have, the less severe the spawning is likely to be.

4. The Invader can only spawn out of a marine's LOS. An extra marine means it's even harder to get any spawns going.

I'd say it's doable if you're willing to put the work in. #1 is pretty easy. #2 is going to require a bit more work. As for the spawning, you might consider allowing the Invader to spawn up to twice a turn, or to have a bigger hand size, or to draw more cards. You'd probably have to experiment a bit to see what works best.

My solution has been to play Descent instead.

pelein wrote:
Pick up the Expansion. With it you can play with other three players (six marines plus one Alien).

??? The expansion does give you more marine pieces, but you don't use more marines during scenario play. You CAN have more marines if you're all just running a deathmatch or capture the flag game. I'm really only interested in scenario play though. Don't know how the OP feels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with 5 players a few times, and it works fine. We've adjusted the amount of health the Marines have (down a smidge), and that does the trick pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(funnier in person)
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've toyed with running a map with 6 Marines (solo play mind you)

I doubled the number of Invaders on map, and allowed the Invader player to have a turn every Three Marine Turns (IE: Marine 1 Goes, Marine 2, Goes, Marine 3 Goes, Invader Goes, Marine 4 goes, Marine 5, Marine 6...) Order doesn't matter so long as every Marine gets a turn.

Keeping line of sight was surprisingly difficult - Even with 6. I played the third mission of the base game with the new (Expansion) Invader Deck, and a Mix of New Invaders and Old Invaders.

I also doubled pretty much all the tokens on the map. Marines had 2 Marine Skill Cards each. They either had somewhere between8-10 starting health, and 2 armor (I Believe).

What I got out of it-
1) It definitely wasn't a cake walk for the Marines. It was tooth and nail getting out of the first few rooms, even with leaving marines in key positions to keep LOS locked down (insofar as it was possible to do so)

2) Invaders inadvertently got double activations (Activated twice for every one time each marine did) because I activated all of them each time the IP's turn came around. This could be solved by glass beads to indicate "Activated Last turn, Can't Activate This turn and this might add some interesting strategy to the IPs game and the Marines - Or the Marines might metagame and always end their turns next to or behind invaders that can't activate in the next IP turn

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lickers
Canada
flag msg tools

It sounds like we'll be able to manage just fine with a little bit of tweaking, something we're definitely not adverse to doing! Thanks for the replies, they were very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.