tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you disagree with the study, DX? Cause I'm not seeing the point of the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthXaos wrote:
quozl wrote:
Did you see the movie Saved?

Yes I did, actually

What did you think of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Top 10 states with highest teen birth rates:

1. Mississippi
2. New Mexico
3. Texas
4. Arkansas
5. Arizona
6. Oklahoma
7. Nevada
8. Tennessee
9. Kentucky
10. Georgia

Top 10 most conservatively religious states:

1. Mississippi
2. Alabama
3. South Carolina
4. Tennessee
5. Louisiana
6. Utah
7. Arkansas
8. North Carolina
9. Kentucky
10. Oklahoma

Interesting where they fall here:

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/edu_bes_edu_ind-education-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthXaos wrote:
[It was a very accurate portrayal of the Christian subculture.

I can't really judge how accurate it was: I will say that I thought Saved was an excellent film about the ramifications of faith, both positive and negative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
Top 10 states with highest teen birth rates:

1. Mississippi
2. New Mexico
3. Texas
4. Arkansas
5. Arizona
6. Oklahoma
7. Nevada
8. Tennessee
9. Kentucky
10. Georgia

Top 10 most conservatively religious states:

1. Mississippi
2. Alabama
3. South Carolina
4. Tennessee
5. Louisiana
6. Utah
7. Arkansas
8. North Carolina
9. Kentucky
10. Oklahoma

Interesting where they fall here:

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/edu_bes_edu_ind-education-b...

Do they have a "top 10 cousin spawn states" chart? Mississippi could get the triple crown! Woo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nichols
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mightygodking wrote:
DarthXaos wrote:
It was a very accurate portrayal of the Christian subculture.

I can't really judge how accurate it was: I will say that I thought Saved was an excellent film about the ramifications of faith, both positive and negative.

I attended a private Christian high school and will vouch for it's uncanny accuracy, not merely in the details but also in capturing the attitudes and atmosphere. Of course, it is an accurate portrayal of a very specific type of Christianity.

It is also certainly an excellent film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Police has reports linking a misterious pigeon to the high rate of virginal pregnancies, but it's not clear enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
Creepy disco kids

That picture needs a warning. I just recovered from a seizure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
DCAnderson wrote:
So when you teach your kids to just not have sex in lew of safe sex you end up with teenagers getting pregnant. This is shocking.

I can't get over your new avatar. I never figured you for a cat person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This kind of study, while accurate, is quite misleading. This article is the example of shitty statistics running rampant.

For instance
Quote:

For religiosity, the researchers averaged the percentage of respondents who agreed with conservative responses to eight statements, including: ''There is only one way to interpret the teachings of my religion," and ''Scripture should be taken literally, word for word."

They found a strong correlation between statewide conservative religiousness and statewide teen birth rate even when they accounted for income and abortion rates.

Well, this is is no fucking surprise. When you take the correlation of averages, you are much more likely to find a higher correlation than if you take the correlation of raw data. It is a statistical artifact.

As for controlling for income, it does reduce the effect, but looking at in a more stepwise procedure shows you how little religiosity matters when compared to household income. We can run our own analysis based on the ranked data in: birth rate, religiosity (both from the article), median income (wikipedia) and education (from the link pronoblem gave).

Let's start out trying to predict birth rate from income. Basically,

birth rate = income

That model explains 29% of the variance in birth rate. Closely related to income will be the educational system of the state; however, it won't be a one-to-one relationship. So we can go to the next model

birth rate = income + education

That model explains 68% of the variance.

Now we can say, does religion have an effect above and beyond income and education, the model

birth rate = income + education + religion

That model explains 76% of the variance in birth rate. So out of 76% of the variance able to explained from those three variables, religion only accounts for about 10% of the effect, while education and income account for 90% of the effect.

From a policy perspective, what we would want to focus on is improving the educational experience and reducing poverty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:

From a policy perspective, what we would want to focus on is improving the educational experience and reducing poverty.

Well, yeah... except... that would remove all the reasons for people to feel smug about not being Christian and not living in Tennessee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
SpaceGhost wrote:

Well, yeah... except... that would remove all the reasons for people to feel smug about not being Christian and not living in Tennessee.

Bullshit. Nothing can remove the smugness I feel at not living in Tennessee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think we can safely lay the blame at the fact that all these states are boring, and the only things to do are go to church and have sex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Shushnik wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
SpaceGhost wrote:

I've visited Tennessee many times (mostly Chattanooga and Knoxville). It is a beautiful state. The people there are extremely nice. Its one of the nicer states I've visited. I would have no problem living there (but my wife would hate it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Virgin birthes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
SpaceGhost wrote:

I've visited Tennessee many times (mostly Chattanooga and Knoxville). It is a beautiful state. The people there are extremely nice. Its one of the nicer states I've visited. I would have no problem living there (but my wife would hate it).

The first thing they teach you in improv comedy class is that the best way to destroy a joke is to deny or refute it. Fucking killjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
I think we can safely lay the blame at the fact that all these states are boring, and the only things to do are go to church and have sex.
BULLSHIT! There's also driving around aimlessly and lighting shit on fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Shushnik wrote:
BFoy wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
SpaceGhost wrote:

The first thing they teach you in improv comedy class is that the best way to destroy a joke is to deny or refute it. Fucking killjoy.

Lol, I admit that I know very little about telling jokes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
SpaceGhost wrote:

I can only feel smug about one of those soblue

Change Tennessee to Mississippi, and you're back up to two.

You're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
Lol, I admit that I know very little about telling jokes.

Neither do I, according to my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Shushnik wrote:
DCAnderson wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
SpaceGhost wrote:

You're welcome.

Can't argue with that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
DCAnderson wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
SpaceGhost wrote:

You're welcome.

This from a guy who lives in a state that is solid tundra half the year, a giant pool of standing water the other half and whose residents are prone to serial killings and human liver consumption?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
This from a guy who lives in a state that is solid tundra half the year, a giant pool of standing water the other half and whose residents are prone to serial killings and human liver consumption?

I can't think of any Minnesota serial killers offhand. Are you thinking of Dahmer? He was from Milwaukee.

Unfortunately I read too many murder mystery novels and my favorite is about a Minneapolis detective who is constantly dealing with serial killings. I figure the author wouldn't have created that character if it wasn't true. Kind of like this thread eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.