Jerod Leupold
United States
Coralville
Iowa
flag msg tools
If you're looking for a place to play games we have an active board game group that meets every Wednesday at Critical Hit Games starting around 6pm.The first Sunday features a board game tournament of some sort.

The store usually offers up a demo of a new release as well. Recently we've played Kachina, Small World, Space Hulk and Revolution courtesy of CHG. They also have a game library to choose from. Bringing you're own games however, is the main way it's set up. Come on down and join us!

On 9-16-09 we played...
Race for the Galaxy
Imperial
Frag
Munchkin Quest
Small World
Pandemic
Red November
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah! I'm there most Wednesdays and it's a great place to play. Friendly to newbs and veterans alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod Leupold
United States
Coralville
Iowa
flag msg tools
Looking forward to another Wed night. Someone requested Dominion again so, if you're planning on coming could you bring a copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel J
United States
Iowa City
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CritHit wrote:
Looking forward to another Wed night. Someone requested Dominion again so, if you're planning on coming could you bring a copy?

I'll tote mine along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod Leupold
United States
Coralville
Iowa
flag msg tools
Thanks for bringing Dominion Joel! Reef always looks great and I need to play it. A friend of mine once described it as the most confusing mechanics that are the easiest to manipulate.

And, if you couldn't tell I lost my Bloodbowl game 2-1 in OT. Finally, I'll be demoing Warhammer: Invasion all Sunday long. It plays up to 4 people and I haven't had a bad time of it yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel J
United States
Iowa City
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CritHit wrote:
Thanks for bringing Dominion Joel!

Anytime.

Quote:
Reef always looks great and I need to play it. A friend of mine once described it as the most confusing mechanics that are the easiest to manipulate.

Reef Encounter is just one of those games that, while having very cool mechanics for the theme, just isn't easy to intuitively understand. It's also an economic/commodity speculation game underneath it all, so once you understand good mechanical strategy, you then have to come to grips with how your actions affect player motivations and the market. Needless to say, awesome game. It gets a pretty warm welcome among most players despite all that, probably due to the shrimples

Quote:
And, if you couldn't tell I lost my Bloodbowl game 2-1 in OT. Finally, I'll be demoing Warhammer: Invasion all Sunday long. It plays up to 4 people and I haven't had a bad time of it yet!

Sounds cool. I'll see if I can make it out, though, these days you can never count on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I may come by on occasion, but it's just a smidge too far for me to travel regularly. Looks awesome - how can I really pass up a group that plays RftG, Small World, and Pandemic!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel J
United States
Iowa City
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
I may come by on occasion, but it's just a smidge too far for me to travel regularly. Looks awesome - how can I really pass up a group that plays RftG, Small World, and Pandemic!?

Check out the Eastern Iowa Guild. There's game days about twice a month that may be more worth your while. Everything from 18xx to space hulk to ticket to ride gets played which the last geeklist will attest to. That one lasted from 11am to 5am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod Leupold
United States
Coralville
Iowa
flag msg tools
This wednesday I'll be demoing Adventurers! It a great beer and pretzels game. The only time I got to play the pre-release version I got squashed by the boulder. How dumb do you have to be to get gacked? Well, how greedy are you??

I'll also have Invasion to demo again. It plays much more like a board game than a ccg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod Leupold
United States
Coralville
Iowa
flag msg tools
Someone, please, think of the children (or at least the gamestore owner). Dominion: Seaside just came in.

I also want to play Chicago Express. I know, I know. I rarely have time to play. I'll make time tonight! circa 9?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel J
United States
Iowa City
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! A special visit from angry people with cheese in Wensleydale will be happening as well. I will be torn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod Leupold
United States
Coralville
Iowa
flag msg tools
That was a nutty game. It seems that you want to burn all your resources every turn. To try and strike for one huge turn. Then kinda mitagate the damage afterwards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel J
United States
Iowa City
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think all of us would play considerably different on a subsequent play. Wallace certainly provides interesting mechanics if nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thies Kolln
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't know what to think about Wensleydale. I suspect that not only will we play differently next time, but that we'll discover a whole bunch of stuff from that play and do it all completely different on the third play.

I wish I could be there tomorrow for another go, but Wednesdays are bad for me for pretty much the rest of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod Leupold
United States
Coralville
Iowa
flag msg tools
Boo. On the plus side the rest of the year isn't that long at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poe
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How late do game nights run? I work till 8:15 or so every Wednesday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel J
United States
Iowa City
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game nights currently only run until 9, unfortunately. If you watch the midwest forums or eastern iowa guild, there are other events you might be interested in attending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sullivan
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm a fairly new gamer in the IC area, and I might be interested in coming some time. Is there anything I should know ahead of time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.