Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been pondering getting this game for a while. I'm interested in the battle of Cassino and there's not many games on the subject and some of those aren't very good.

Has anyone got any AARs they could post that might give a flavour of the game? I've one PG game (Eastern Front) and was wondering how Cassino uses the system to capture the flavour this difficult fighting. Does PG work in that way or is it just another PG game?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stosser
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer:
Yes, it does a good job of capturing the "Cassino experience". I suggest buying it.

I recently received Cassino '44. I have several other Pz Gdr games and have noticed some neat stuff in Cassino '44 that set it apart from the others.

The maps have larger hexes which makes the playing area far less cluttered. Cassino '44's maps are by far the most "situation-specific" of all the Pz Gdr games I've seen. There are Gothic line hexes which provide cleared fields of fire, mountain elevations at 100-150 meter increments (in addition to the normal 20 meter hill increments), flooded land, mountain tracks, cliffs, railroad embankments, unique urban/built-up hexes, and more. The maps are easily the nicest in the Pz Gdr series. No dingy stuff like Elsenborn Ridge or drawn by a third-grader in Desert Rats.

Special rules also reflect this battle's uniqueness. Like a four types of strongpoints, rules for movement on mountain tracks, spotting for very high elevations, flares, and flamethrowers (YEAH!).

Thirty scenarios and two campaign scenarios. Most of the scenarios are modest in size and can be played on one or two maps, so it's a quick set-up and play solitaire deal.

I think the the few available Cassino games are marginal. This one let's you fight over the entire operational area with the most diverse (I hate that PC term, but in this case it's appropriate) troop population imaginable and a proven game system with really nifty tailoring for the specific battle.

Although it lists for $99, it can be had for $60-75 on eBay or from online game stores. Unfortunately, shipping might be stiff for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insight Stosser, it gives me the kind of information I needed. I've a few PG games but have found them a bit flat but the Cassino game clearly looks different enough to be worth investing in. I've seen it in the UK for about £52 withoup P&P. i should be cutting down on my game buying but i might well get this as the detail you've given make it sound worthwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.