Subject: Perilous Location + Starting Quests rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've seen this mentioned somewhere, but quick look-see didn't give any findings, so what the hell.

All the Heroes apart from Eleanor have a Starting Quest that requires them to fight a monster when they would draw Encounter cards.

If the location is Perilous, they can't accomplish the Mission?

In a 1-Hero game, you can do the Mission, just have to end your first turn in the location, then you get to remove influence in the extra Rally Step. But in 2+ Hero games, if Sauron wants to, he can slap down the influence again and again, keeping the location as perma-Perilous, meaning you never draw Encounter cards. Thalin's location is adjacent to Mt. Gundabad, Argalad's is adjacent to Dol Guldur, those two are the easiest to prevent (not to mention the Mouth can also move to South Eaves to mess with Argalad). Beravor's Grey Havens is a harder task to keep Perilous, but doable, Eometh's Isengard somewhere in the middle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
I think I've seen this mentioned somewhere, but quick look-see didn't give any findings, so what the hell.

All the Heroes apart from Eleanor have a Starting Quest that requires them to fight a monster when they would draw Encounter cards.

If the location is Perilous, they can't accomplish the Mission?

Correct. But there's only a 1/5 chance that completing quests is the Hero mission, so it's probably not terribly wise for Sauron to do this. Also, the mission isn't everything. If Sauron is spending resources to constantly keep a quest location perilous, then just go after his plots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Correct. But there's only a 1/5 chance that completing quests is the Hero mission, so it's probably not terribly wise for Sauron to do this. Also, the mission isn't everything. If Sauron is spending resources to constantly keep a quest location perilous, then just go after his plots.

Completing Starting Quest is required to get the Advanced Quest, which gives a nice reward. Quests are also the way the Heroes get Favors early on mostly (though all those fight-Quests drop a character on the board). Hard to go after Plots with 0 Favor (unless it's that Gollum Plot at Barad-Dur).

And keeping either Argalad or Thalin at bay is only 1 Influence action. Today, Sauron kept pouring in influence, Rohan and Mirkwood both were choked with 3 influence everywhere (vs Argalad and Eometh naturally). They couldn't move without getting a Peril draw. There were I think 10 or 11 counters left in the influence pool. Argalad got choked with 6 Corruption cards that he just couldn't remove (limited to 3 Favor, 3 Travel, couldn't trade with others or consult with characters, -1 Fortitude, -1 Strength and only drew 2 instead of 3 Encounter cards). If they weren't getting Corruption, Peril was eating their Favors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sounds like a hole to me. I bet the play testers/designers didn't consider it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that the quest can be completed depsite the fact the location is perilous. My guess is that the rules were meant to simply have the player fight the monster at the time you are supposed to draw encounter cards. As mentioned above, I think this was a hole that was not taken into account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like there is some errata coming. I am surprised that something like this would make it through. Maybe the quest is supposed to say "when you would draw Encounter or Peril cards at the (location), combat a monster instead."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hector131 wrote:
Looks like there is some errata coming. I am surprised that something like this would make it through. Maybe the quest is supposed to say "when you would draw Encounter or Peril cards at the (location), combat a monster instead."

That would add more confusion IMO. Encounter and Combat/Peril are different Steps for one. Second, if there is a monster/minion at the location, Sauron again has the option of choosing Combat, so no Peril draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the understanding that you complete the quest if you're in the location during your Encounter step, even if it's perilous.

The rules have consistently been interpreted by FFG so far in the "common sense" way rather than the "literal rules lawyer" way, this is no exception I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 games of MEQ and I totally missed this rule. Sheesh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
That would add more confusion IMO. Encounter and Combat/Peril are different Steps for one. Second, if there is a monster/minion at the location, Sauron again has the option of choosing Combat, so no Peril draw.

IMHO, I don't think that they intended the quests to be able to be blocked by peril. I dunno, maybe that is a valid tactic for Sauron. I think someone should ask the guys at FFG so that we can find out. I don't think that this is the only time that this issue will appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Even though no encounter card is drawn on a perilous location, I would rule that the hero gets to complete their quest in the encounter step.

Otherwise, you have a broken mechanism. It's hard enough for the heroes to start with without throwing in this sickener.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Castillo
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it comes down to the wording on the card. "When you WOULD draw an encounter card". I think that says, even if you technically can't...that WOULD have been the time for you to do so. just my opinion and how we've been playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if an official answer was given to this question ?
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"Where are you from?" "Long story. The Pacific Ocean, I guess."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No official reply? Someone should email Corey or post on FFG's official forums, I suppose. Then post a link or answer here? This seems to be quite an important rule question--it would certainly have made some of my plays as Sauron a LOT easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/461658

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.