San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
On Sept 17, 1859, the following appeared in the San Francisco Bulletin:
Quote:

At the peremptory request and desire of a large majority of the citizens of these United States, I, Joshua Norton, formerly of Algoa Bay, Cape of Good Hope, and now for the last 9 years and 10 months past of S. F., Cal., declare and proclaim myself Emperor of these U. S.; and in virtue of the authority thereby in me vested, do hereby order and direct the representatives of the different States of the Union to assemble in Musical Hall, of this city, on the 1st day of Feb. next, then and there to make such alterations in the existing laws of the Union as may ameliorate the evils under which the country is laboring, and thereby cause confidence to exist, both at home and abroad, in our stability and integrity.

NORTON I, Emperor of the United States.

As immortalized in the Sandman ("Three Septembers and a January") upon being arrested, he was released by the Chief who said "...that he had shed no blood; robbed no one; and despoiled no country; which is more than can be said of his fellows in that line."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
He also appears in the "Principia Discordia" and in "the Illuminatus Trilogy" (just to plug an old friend's book).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the Illuminatus Trilogy a long time ago, but I don't remember much of it...

(or so I want you to think).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Did someone say Emperor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I heard that S.F. went along with it and treated him like an emperor. I should probably check the link to see if that's true...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Did someone say Emperor?

Get your hand out of your pants, Chap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd never heard of him before, but the wikipedia page is hilarious.

I wish they would name that bridge after him. It was his proclamation, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
I heard that S.F. went along with it and treated him like an emperor. I should probably check the link to see if that's true...

Pretty much. It was as if everyone was in on the joke but him. The aforementioned issue of Sandman is the perfect disertation of Norton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff. As they say, you can't make stuff like this up. Thanks for posting this, Brian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
KSensei wrote:

Pretty much. It was as if everyone was in on the joke but him. The aforementioned issue of Sandman is the perfect disertation of Norton.

I suspect we'd all like crazy people a lot more if they went "Emperor Norton" crazy versus "Murderous rampage talking to himself while twitching" crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Self proclaimed hardly qualifies us as actually having one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
A Star Trek novel from the early '80s involved Kirk and Spock travelling back in time to 19th century California (time travel in Star Trek, you never see that). One of the characters they meet is the emporer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels B.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep.... WHAT?! WHAT?! What?!
badge
The President has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?
mbmbmbmbmb
He starred in a Lucky Luke comic as well, named Emperor Smith. He walks around thinking he's the American Napoleon. In the town everybody plays along, because he is a funny and quirky guy. Until a bad guy comes around and convinces him that he is surrounded by traitors. When the Emperor goes to the bank and demands all the money they refuse, so he uses his private army to occupy the city. As usual Lucky Luke saves the day, and the Emperor comes to his senses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.