United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
OM | Cal alum | Trekkie | BGG! | Crosswords | Lawyer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it the lovely minis?
No, though I think they are astonishing (irritation from having broken pieces and the like notwithstanding).

Is it the glossy, embossed finish on the tiles?

No, though I think it pushes the component quality envelope in an intriguing way, and I'd like to see future game design elements maybe rely on texture instead of only shading and printing.

Is it the return to a mostly 1st Ed. ruleset, as an answer to the prayers of many an old-skool GW fanboy?
No, though from what I gather this version is even more streamlined and balanced than the past versions, making it even easier for total NEWBs like me.

Is it the fact that the game has sold out in most quarters in such short order, having only announced its release a scant month or so ago?
No, though this is nothing short of an amazing sales/marketing feat, perhaps only accomplishable by the GW online-and-brick-and-mortar sales juggernaut.

NO. It is none of these things. For me, what makes Space Hulk so interesting as a phenomenon is the sheer number of "New User" tags I see here on the 'Geek as a direct result of this game.

Seriously. Take a peek around the forums on this game -- you'll see a ton of "New User" badges. It always makes me happy. Our community will have more voices, and more viewpoints, and I think that's cool. Now we might get some more of these amazing talented minis painters posting their beautiful works. They might go on to try Starcraft, or Dominion, or Power Grid, or We the People. They might even like them, and stick around for a while. And that's cool.

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup

A little more detail and you could have gotten some GG as a review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah true! That's the best part about board games... people to play with! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's just this compulsive nudge to sign up and post ever since Space Hulk 3rd Ed was released. I can't explain it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard so much about this game for so long and wanted it for awhile now but $300 was just too much. I feel like I raped GW for a change by getting this gorgeous edition for $120! My son loves it too and we are now moving into Warhammer 40K (much like many old school 40K players did) as well. I know we will still be playing Space Hulk as well as it is perfect time-wise for an after dinner game that won't require much set up or play time commitment. Maybe we will see Warhammer Quest redone as well!

Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krishna Sampath
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
thumbsup

I have a 0 reviews posted streak I am apparently trying hard not to break...

I keep writing a review, then thinking, "Meh. What makes this worth adding, given the 8 other, more comprehensive reviews on the site." I need to find my Reviewing niche. I have some ideas... ninja

But thanks for the encouragement, monteslu!
-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John John
United States
Earth
flag msg tools
Ultraman, here he comes from the sky. Ultraman, watch our hero fly!
badge
Hi, I'm Ultraman! Home: Nebula M78 Height: 40 meters Weight: 35,000 tons Age: 20,000 years old Flight Speed: Mach 5
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
thumbsup

Here ya go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krishna wrote:

NO. It is none of these things. For me, what makes Space Hulk so interesting as a phenomenon is the sheer number of "New User" tags I see here on the 'Geek as a direct result of this game.

Seriously. Take a peek around the forums on this game -- you'll see a ton of "New User" badges. It always makes me happy. Our community will have more voices, and more viewpoints, and I think that's cool. Now we might get some more of these amazing talented minis painters posting their beautiful works. They might go on to try Starcraft, or Dominion, or Power Grid, or We the People. They might even like them, and stick around for a while. And that's cool.

-K

I'm one of them! I used to love Space Hulk in college. I won a copy as a prize in a miniatures painting contest, and I sold it several years later for several hundred dollars (It was really nicely painted), naively thinking that GW would release another edition fairly soon. Well, I was only ten years off. News of this new edition finally took that little bit of seller's remorse off my back. My interest in gaming, which had recently been rekindled with Fantasy Flight's reincarnation of Arkham Horror, has been fully revived and doubled in power thanks to Space Hulk's revival. I'm even considering getting into Blood Bowl!

BTW: Hi, everybody!

Ran13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cygnus 2112
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another "New User" here that was drawn to BGG due to this game. Never had it when I was younger, but always wanted it. Just happened to find out that it was being re-released about 7 days before it was due to a sudden urge to google it. Talked to my FLGS and had one on reserve when it came out. Been loving it ever since. TY GW for bringing it back..and TY BGG for the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Great post.

Krishna wrote:

Is it the return to a mostly 1st Ed. ruleset, as an answer to the prayers of many an old-skool GW fanboy?
No, though from what I gather this version is even more streamlined and balanced than the past versions, making it even easier for total NEWBs like me.

Another aspect of this that makes third edition so great is that people who buy it are able to choose which version they play using the components in the box. If you are a crusty old "GW fanboy" then you can play with first edition rules if you don't like the new rules or you can try both if you are a new player.

Also, it is cool to see new people getting excited about a classic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krishna wrote:

OR they'll just rate Space Hulk as 10 (or 1) and never be seen again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the influx of new users as well, but as a subscriber, the number of new space Hulk threads is becoming a little tedious.

I have had a subscription to Space Hulk for a few years now and generally there were a couple posts a week, but now there have been over 40 new items a day. It would help if the new users used the search button instead of starting a new thread for their questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spacehulk wrote:
I like the influx of new users as well, but as a subscriber, the number of new space Hulk threads is becoming a little tedious.

I have had a subscription to Space Hulk for a few years now and generally there were a couple posts a week, but now there have been over 40 new items a day. It would help if the new users used the search button instead of starting a new thread for their questions.

Argh, I'm limited to one thumb for this post...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krishna Sampath
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spacehulk wrote:

Wait, I'm confused about something. You're saying that earlier, you chose to subscribe to Space Hulk -- essentially saying, "Please notify me of any new content about this game."

Now there has been a reprint, and there is a flurry of new activity, and a lot of new users, and every time you login, there's more stuff to read (New Content), and you're getting annoyed about this?!

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krishna Sampath
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, having thought about this more, I'll add this. So, a bunch of new threads get started, in lieu of people reading old ones. But that'll settle down in a couple of weeks, as new users figure out the ropes. In the meantime, turn of the subscription for a bit (you'll check back every day or so anyway, come on, it's SPACE HULK!!) And they're not just posting the same content. There are some great posts/comments by new users, too.

We've got to encourage people to stay and participate or they won't. And that's no way to get new viewpoints into our little corner of cyberspace. Particularly when GeekDo expands into videogames (and books and movies and comics?), we'll get a ton of "newbie" mistakes. So what. People will learn, and enrich our site.

(I am not trying to suggest you were being unwelcoming, Rob, just that we should be a little extra-nice to new users. We were all there once, too.)

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krishna wrote:

Now there has been a reprint, and there is a flurry of new activity, and a lot of new users, and every time you login, there's more stuff to read (New Content), and you're getting annoyed about this?!

-K

For me, it's not "annoyed" so much as "overwhelmed". There's a lot of activity in my subscriptions for the past few weeks, and I'd bet that 80% or more of it is from Space Hulk.

And since I am truly interested in content on this subject, I don't want to merely "Mark as Read" without opening them up, because I don't want to miss anything good or interesting. So I open each one up. Then I subscribe to many of them, compounding the "problem".

Actually, I guess I'm doing a lot of reading about it, when I could be clipping, trimming, and gluing -- then playing. (Painting can come much later.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krishna Sampath
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, that's totally a reasonable concern. Is there an easy fix to this? Should we put up a mini-tutorial as a post in the Space Hulk forum called something like:
"New Users: Please Read Before Posting"

It could just be a link to the wiki or user guide or whatever. Maybe the Mods could make it sticky for the next few weeks?

I'm just thinking out loud.

In print.

OK, I'll go away for a while.

-K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm not asking for a solution to a problem that isn't really a problem.

I'm just saying that for right now I'm just buried in Space Hulk threads and photos, but I know it's:

1. Self-inflicted. If it truly was a problem I'd unsubscribe, but I want to read about it.

2. Temporary. Of course there's a flurry now, but it should die down soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteKnight85 wrote:
No, I'm not asking for a solution to a problem that isn't really a problem.

I'm just saying that for right now I'm just buried in Space Hulk threads and photos, but I know it's:

1. Self-inflicted. If it truly was a problem I'd unsubscribe, but I want to read about it.

2. Temporary. Of course there's a flurry now, but it should die down soon.

Yep, keeping up with the new stuff takes some time, but if I don't I might miss something good!

A lot of it is rules questions that should taper off after the FAQ is released. I've already noticed a lot fewer rules questions in the last couple of days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
Krishna wrote:
OK, having thought about this more, I'll add this. So, a bunch of new threads get started, in lieu of people reading old ones. But that'll settle down in a couple of weeks, as new users figure out the ropes. In the meantime, turn of the subscription for a bit (you'll check back every day or so anyway, come on, it's SPACE HULK!!) And they're not just posting the same content. There are some great posts/comments by new users, too.

We've got to encourage people to stay and participate or they won't. And that's no way to get new viewpoints into our little corner of cyberspace. Particularly when GeekDo expands into videogames (and books and movies and comics?), we'll get a ton of "newbie" mistakes. So what. People will learn, and enrich our site.

(I am not trying to suggest you were being unwelcoming, Rob, just that we should be a little extra-nice to new users. We were all there once, too.)

-K

Argh, I'm limited to one thumb for this post...

Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.