Subject: Lunchtime Games Club: complete game in under an hour rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Toby Hales
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
We have 4 or 5 at work who are foolish enough to want to spend their lunch hour playing a game. But we have nowhere to leave anything set up, so we need games that play to a close in just under an hour.

To give you an idea of where we're at: when we meet in the evenings, our favourites are: Manifest Destiny, Sword of Rome, Republic of Rome, History of the World, Junta etc.

So far at lunchtime we have concentrated on Ticket To Ride, both US and Europe. Recently tried Citadels andhave played San Juan. I am going to introduce Dominion but I think it might be a bit abstract.

Tried Settlers but it is too much of a stretch to get it done in an hour. Likewise I don't think Carcassonne will work.

Advice please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is my top recommendation. It's reasonably deep, plays in under an hour (heck, you might be able to squeeze in two games once you get the hang of it), easily accommodates four players, can be played easily at a regular 4-person table, and stores up nice and small. Set-up and tear-down time are minimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is to search the geeklists. I know there've been a few discussing this topic. This one was mine: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/27978 I know there are others. Of course, the parameters may differ here and there: my lunch time is a bit flexible, and we've been known to exceed an hour now and then; others maybe have a place where they can leave stuff out. But there'll still be some good suggestions for your situation.

Good luck on the search!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaiah Mackler
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snipafist wrote:
Race for the Galaxy is my top recommendation. It's reasonably deep, plays in under an hour (heck, you might be able to squeeze in two games once you get the hang of it), easily accommodates four players, can be played easily at a regular 4-person table, and stores up nice and small. Set-up and tear-down time are minimal.

I was going to recommend this, too! Sounds perfect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
For Catan, try it by starting with a settlement and a city instead of two settlements. Or start with all six resources instead of just three. Or both.

For Carcassonne, try playing on a smaller surface (a dinner table place mat works well), and limit tiles played to that area. When there are no playable tiles in one go around the table, game over. Or play with a point limit - one player reaches, say 75 or 100 points, once more around the table then final scoring.

Of the top of my head, some shorter games... Formula Motor Racing (plays 3-6), Ivanhoe (plays 3-5). Both are Knizia card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
One great winner for our lunch group is Ra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tobyhales wrote:

To give you an idea of where we're at: when we meet in the evenings, our favourites are: Manifest Destiny, Sword of Rome, Republic of Rome, History of the World, Junta etc.

Advice please!

I'm the Boss!,
Intrigue,
or 2 rounds of Saboteur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what we play over lunch. Our group is anywhere from 4 to 8 players, depending on availability and the game played:

Formula Dé - For 7+ players, in fact we'll typically run a racing season of eight or nine races and keep track of Standings.

Lord of the Fries- Fun quick card game

Wings of War: Famous Aces- beautiful and fun miniature biplane dogfights

Small World - nice because of the variability of players

Family Business - simple and gory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.