Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don`t think it`s boring at all.
It lasts about 15 - 20 minutes from my experience. "forever and ever"?
Moves are not as obvious as they might seem. I was surprised by kids` moves having a different view on the situation.
So I am wondering about this video, I have to say.
I would say: Try this at Essen and judge yourself.
Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Johns
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with duchamp. I have often agreed with Tom in the past but not this time.

Also Tom has got some of the rules wrong, e.g. the Monkey must be on a crate IN the loading bay.

It sounds to me that Tom has made a quick read of the rules and based his review on that. Maybe you should try a few plays? If then you still don't like it then fair enough - we can't all like the same games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom is describing this as "easy" more than once. Strange though, he missed some rules or told them incorrect:

1. at 2:00 min, he says, players "can spend" 4 action points. Nope. They HAVE to spend all 4 of them, whatever may happen because of this. To manouevre the crates in a position, where your opponent has to move them to your benefit is a task probably far too easy for Tom`s brain to even think about.

2. 3:05 min.. Tom points out, that it costs 3 action points to move a monkey. Wrong again. It costs 4 action points - a full turn. Not much of a difference? Well, a full turn or not is a difference.

3. 3:40 min. "It costs 1 Action point to get more cards". Hey, this would be cheap. Never! It costs again 4 AP (a whole turn) to get ONE other card with a hand limit of 3. And they are placed open, which makes the game more strategic again - something Tom is missing to tell us. He also missed, that you get another card, when you perform a "Monkey Dash", so this might be interesting not only for fast movement.

4. 4:50 min. The monkey jumps off the crate to the "exit". This is not explained correctly. He has to get on the spot ON the crate.

So, after all, in this fast explanation, rules and Video tutorial from the publisher`s website at hand, Tom managed to tell us incorrect stuff. How come?

a) He played it correctly, but disliked the game so much, he didn`t care about too much, when he recorded his video, explaining the game "by memory"?

b) He misunderstood the rules (http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/53wqsolm3e/Monk...) and played it incorrectly, so he disliked the game because of that? Hm, Tom Vasel should know how to read rules, shouldn`t he?

c) Any other idea?

However, this video review is just not giving an appropriate impression of the game. That`s for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
may as well note that the video has 1 minute left after the review has ended.

the minute is comprised of first the outro graphics with no sound, then no sound and no graphics, and finally the outro sound with no graphic.

so, there is evidence that this video was rushed.

however, the video along with duchamp's comments are enough to tell me all i need to know about the game.

you two make a great team!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.