Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved all 40+ questions to this thread where they are being answered by Jason.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/454778
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rules Questions for Jason Re: Expansion Cards
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rules Questions for Jason Re: Expansion Cards
I'd like to see Jason's answers to these too, but I went through them with my thoughts anyway. I'm especially interested in having Brother Marcus's ability clarified (q 16) and a definitive word on adjacency on the docks and the island (q 5).

Kinda funny to post this here, but I was actually impressed by how few questions came up on my first play through of SW concerning rules and card meanings. Flying Frog makes great games but I'd say rules ambiguity is a weak point for them (though some of that just comes with the territory of games with so many event type cards). They seemed to put extra effort into this release though so kudos to them!

hudarklord wrote:
1) Many cards that affect items or allies "in play" specifically note that this includes things in the Town Items deck. Are Monastery items and allies in the Monastery Items deck "in play", and affected by all these cards that affect items or Allies "in play"? Or does the phrase "all Items in play (including Items in the Town Items Deck)" actually mean "all Items in play plus all Items in the Town Items Deck"? The latter interpretation is clearer, because cards inside a Deck don't seem to be "in play" by most common meanings of the phrase.

1) The rulebook says "Monastery Item cards count as Town Items in every way…" (pg. 5). So anytime a card refers to the Town Items deck, that includes the Monastery Items. With that in mind, I don't think the meaning of "in play" matters so much since all the cards I saw use phrasing like "all Items in play (including Items in the Town Items Deck)".

hudarklord wrote:
2) When the Scarlet Shadow ends his move in Town he has to make a Cunning check to avoid penalties. Does this apply only to a move during the Movement Phase, or does this apply to moves that result Escaping and from card plays (move to X and have an encounter)?

2) Questionable, but I'd say it applies to any and all times he ends up in a town space.

hudarklord wrote:

3) "Spirited Attack" adds Spirit to Combat during a Fight. Is this only for Combat-based fights? For example, Brother Marcus can fight with Spirit; can he use one of these effects to add his Combat to his Spirit? I'm assuming so, but this wasn't clear to me.

3) I had this very same question when I saw this card and decided it would indeed apply to a Spirit-based fight. It doesn't specify or restrict what type of fight die you are using.

hudarklord wrote:
4) If you play "Spirited Attack" twice in one Fight does it add Spirit to Combat twice or just once? I'm assuming that it adds each time.

4) I'd say it only adds once. Adding "their Spirit to their Combat" is worded so you're still adding the same values if you try to play it again. I don't think it's intending more than that.

hudarklord wrote:
5) Are the Docks on the Echo Lake board considered "adjacent" to each other for the purposes of Escape? I'm assuming that they are.

5) I was going to say a definite yes, but then I looked for confirmation in the rules and got confused. The notes on Swamps point out that the Island is considered adjacent to both the Docks, but doesn't explicitly say the Docks are adjacent to each other. I guess I'd go with that for Escaping as well, but it isn't very clear.

The Island has special Escape rules, but that doesn't help us figure it out. Is the Island special because you have to roll to Escape? Or is it special because the Island isn't normally considered adjacent to anything?

hudarklord wrote:
6) Regarding the movement of Minions (like March of Darkness), the FAQ implies that Minions are not considered to stop at each space they "move through", but rather that they just "hop" their full movement to their new distinations. For example, if Ghost Soldiers are between the Windmill and the Field, a Barghest hound moving from the Windmill toward a hero at the Manor "hops" over the Ghost and lands on the field, therefore not displacing the Ghost Soldiers. By this logic, if a Minion moves two spaces toward Town Hall with a March of Darkness, it would hop over intervening Heroes and only encounter a Hero at the end of its two space move? Is this correct? Why or why not?

6) I think this is overthinking it. Minions will hop over other minions for purposes of displacement (It only matters if 2 end up in the same spot), but they will always stop to attack a Hero.

hudarklord wrote:
7) On the Forgotten Island card "Shadow Beneath the Surface", the text seems ambiguous. If you pass the Honor check you take no damage. If you fail you take damage. It then says, "If not KO'd" you roll and move to a Dock. Is this to apply only if you failed and took damage, or do you move to a Dock even if you passed the Honor test?

7) I remember having to re-read this card several times as well. I think it only makes sense that you'd have to move to a Dock when you fail the test. Because how would you possibly be KO'd if you didn't take damage?

hudarklord wrote:
8) Evil is on the Move places 2 investigation in every named space "on the board". If there are two boards in play (playing Shadowbrook and Echo Lake), does this affect all named spaces on both boards? I'm assuming that "on the board" means "on all game boards".

8) Yes, of course. Cut them some slack, this card is from the base game when there was only one board.

hudarklord wrote:
9) Entourage lets you carry up to two additional Ally cards. It says, "These may be from any Locations and/or Ally Town Items". Does this also include Monastery Items deck Allies? I'm assuming that the part about Ally Town Items was merely an example and not meant to exclude Monastery Allies from being ported around with an Entourage.

9) see answer to #1. Town items includes Monastery items.

hudarklord wrote:
10) The Inn's "Keeper's Registry" adds "d3 Resolve Tokens to Town Elders". Does this mean D3 tokens total (divided as you see fit) or D3 to each Town Elder? If the latter, is the D3 rolled separately for each Elder?

10) This could indeed be worded better. I'm going with D3 total, divided as you see fit. Putting more than 1-3 tokens total would seem to be a huge bonus.

hudarklord wrote:
11) The Necromancer's "Death's Embrace" power says "Any Town Elder killed by the Villain is turned into an Evil Elder" on a roll of 4-6. On a roll of 4-6 is this A) Kill him, move the Shadow Track 2, and then resurrect him as an Evil Elder; or B) Just convert him into an Evil Elder instead of killing him and without moving the Shadow Track. I'm assuming "B" is the answer.

11) Yeah B is what I've done. If they immediately become an Evil Elder then you don't have to move the Shadow Track. (Oops, based on Jason's reply in this thread, I think I have it wrong: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2763125#2763125)

hudarklord wrote:
12) I presume that you can only play "You Go First" on a Hero with an Ally. Is that correct?

12) Yep.

hudarklord wrote:
13) Hero A plays "Bribery" to steal an Ally with an extra Wound slot from Hero B. The Wound Slot on the Ally is covered with a Wound Marker. When A steals the Ally, does the Ally come to A Wounded? Or is the Wound marker transferred directly to Hero B (since the slot is actually a Wound on Hero B)? I presume that the Wound marker follows the Ally card that it is on.

13) Yeah I would say the wound stays on the card as it moves to the new owner. This goes along with the FAQ regarding discarding a card that has a wound on it (The wound goes with it. Q24 here: http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index.php?title=ATOE_FAQ_%...)

hudarklord wrote:
14) Camp Fire seems to have a problem on it. You make a roll and for every success you look at one Mystery card. If you roll only one success then you look at one Mystery card then you have to both discard that card and play that card according to the card text. "Choose one of these cards to discard, then one to play..." Should people just look at the one Mystery Card, discard it, and then not play any Mystery Card as part of Camp Fire?

14) I'd say so. "Then" is used several times giving a definite order. If you only draw one, you have to do the discard!

hudarklord wrote:
15) When a given deck is ordered to be shuffled by an effect, does its Discard Pile go back in before the Shuffle? I'm assuming that you shuffle the Discard Pile back in every time a given Deck is Shuffled.

15) Yeah shuffle it all.

hudarklord wrote:
16) The rulebook makes erratic use of the word "turn". For instance you buy a Lair card on your lowercase "turn" (meaning "Hero Turn") and you have a Mystery Phase "during the Mystery Phase of each turn" (lowercase turn). Brother Marcus' "Strength of Spirit" says once per turn. Do you intend that "once per turn" mean "once per Game Round" or "once per Hero Turn"? Is the answer the same for all other cards that work "once per turn"? If "once per turn" means "once per Hero Turn", does this mean that Brother Marcus can't use his ability during the Mystery Phase, since that doesn't happen during any Hero Turn?

16) Good question on what "Limit once per turn" means for Brother Marcus. I also wonder if a failed attempt counts as "once" or if you can attempt multiple times until you succeed "once".

hudarklord wrote:
17) I didn't understand something about "The Order's Influence" Mystery Cards. Doctor Manning is alive, so I play the card on him. He later becomes an Evil Elder. Do I just discard the card or discard the card and move the Shadow Track. The card says if he IS dead or joined (past tense) the Villain then I discard it (implying a check at the time the card is drawn). The rulebook says to discard it, but the tenses used on the card make it unclear whether you move the Shadow Track if Manning dies after "The Order's Influence" is successfully played on him.

17) This is the one question I was going to pose after my play as well. But based on the wording, I'm going with you only move the Shadow Track if the Elder is dead when the card is first drawn.

hudarklord wrote:
18) When a Mystery card would normally Kill a Town Elder, if the Villain is the Gargoyle they are "instead" removed from the game. This means that the Shadow Track doesn't move 2 like it would for the death of a Town Elder, right?

18) I haven't played Gargoyle yet, but I would say move the Shadow Track. They are still being killed, but they also are being removed from the game. Makes sense thematically anyway. Not moving the Shadow track would be a big exception that should have been noted, so we can infer that is not what is being implied.

hudarklord wrote:
19) Do the Gargoyle's Stone Statue (not Living Statue) tokens affect play in any way?

19) Seems to be mostly just flavor, but when a player dies and leaves items/allies I'd imagine it's nice to mark the space with the marker and put the cards nearby instead of covering the board.

hudarklord wrote:
20) Does a character's base level of a Skill mean just what is printed on the character sheet, or does it also include any permanent Skill Upgrade Markers?

20) It's got to mean just what's on the sheet, imo. (Doh! Looks like I'm wrong again. See the last question here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3345729#3345729)

hudarklord wrote:
21) Valeria heals when she defeats a Minion. Can a Groundskeeper, Wolf, Bat, and other creatures with an "*" for wounds be Defeated? One would assume they are "defeated" after one Fight Round because that's typically how you get to collect Victory Bonuses. But this is not clear in the rules.

21) Good question. I'd say since they don't have wounds they can't be "defeated", it's just like when the Villain attacks not in a showdown. If the Groundskeeper is removed I'd say it was defeated though.

hudarklord wrote:
22) For "Song of the Dead", regarding a Town Elder, can you play this any time there is at least one dead Town Elder in the game or only at the exact time a Town Elder is getting Killed? In other words, does the phrase "when a Town Elder is killed" mean, A) "anytime there is at least one dead Town Elder", or B) "play when a Town Elder has just been killed"?

22) I'd go with B.

hudarklord wrote:
23) I assume that Valeria can use her copious Investigation to buy Gun cards from the Town Items deck and give them to other people in a co-op game, right? I presume that's why there is a limitation on her using but not carrying guns.

23) Sure. Only Holy/Vampire items have the carry restriction.

hudarklord wrote:
24) I assume that "To the Crossroads" and "To the Coast" do not count as "named Locations". Is this correct?

24) Correct.

hudarklord wrote:
Four questions about the original cards...
25) Lady Hanbrook has the Secret "On the Hunt". Sophie and Lady Hanbrook are in a Hunting Party. Sophie dies and the Shadow Track crosses into a new Stage. Does Hanbrook move to a new Random Location? If so, if it's different than the Showdown site, is she removed from the Showdown?

25) Jason clarifies this a bit here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2583132#2583132
It's questionable, but I'd play that her token does move to a new random location. However, since her Card was added as part the Hunting Party she would continue to take part in the Showdown. If she survived she would "return" to her counter (instead of town) for purposes of "On the Hunt".

hudarklord wrote:
26) How does the Secret Darkest Secret work? Does the Villain gain a total of +1 Combat and +2 wounds? Or is the bonus listed on this card in addition to the normal Evil Elder bonus? I don't have the card in front of me, I just have a note that I should inquire about the card, so sorry if I'm misremembering.

26) It seems pretty straight-forward: "If revealed, the Town Elder immediately flips to become an Evil Elder and joins the Villain. DO NOT discard this Secret. The Villain gains an extra +2 Wounds and this Evil Elder may NOT be targeted in a Fight." So just doing what it says would add +2 wounds to the normal Evil Elder +1 wound/+1 combat.

hudarklord wrote:
27) Some secrets like "On the Hunt" designate a named spot on the board for a Town Elder. Let's say Lord Hanbrook is "On the Hunt" in the Windmill and is chosen as part of the Hunting Party for a Showdown at the Abandoned Keep. After one Showdown Fight Round he is sent "back to Town". Is his "On the Hunt" character counter now at the Abandoned Keep or back at the Windmill? In other words, when a Town Elder is made part of the Hunting Party, does his counter move to the Showdown Location?

27) Same as 25. I'd say the Token doesn't get shifted as part of Showdown, just like the Elders from the Town don't move to the Showdown location permanently. The Showdown is its own special thing.

hudarklord wrote:
28) The Scarecrow's Master of Terror power requires you to put a "Murder of Crows" on the board when "Murder!" is drawn from the Mystery deck. The "Murder of Crows" event says that when you ROLL this result, you put multiple crow markers on the board and not just one. What happens with Master of Terror? I'm assuming that you still put multiple crow markers down even though the result hasn't been "rolled", correct?

28) I'd agree "roll" really means "whenever placed". Playing the Bog Fiend I kept getting Tide of Darkness with the Mosquito. Since you place an additional Mosquito each time, that meant 6 Mosquitos in 6 random locations!

Phew!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.