Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have overlooked it, but I don't see it in the rulebook, so I assume that means cash on hand is public knowledge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I've always played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

I just did a quick review of the rules, and I don't see the public/private money question addressed either.

We always play with money private. Of course deeds are public knowledge, so we have a vague idea of what everyone is worth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I did read in them somewhere that money is public, and can be queried at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McNulty
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Its in the main rule book under Merchants & Spaceships.

Rule:
3.2 DISCLOSURE: Each player displays his money and markers off the map in plain view before him, and must reveal exactly what he owns, including his money, whenever asked.

Presumably this is to promote "more perfect" information and make the contest about best use of that information.

Of course, that shouldn't stop people from playing the other way if the persons involved are agreeable. Just don't expect to have that cover in a tournament or with a group of strangers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I found it last night after posting that. Weird place for it, but whatever...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And it's perfectly trackable as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holdings are open--though usually the relative cash/deed position is easily determined by the amount of deeds held.

I don't know if anyone has ever asked for a money count in any MoV game I have played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McNulty
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It comes up a lot when we're playing. But only after we're hitting that 2/3 of the total needed. If we ask before that it is because someone is having trouble with a decision and we simply want to help.

You are right, usually a glance to see who has the "deed lead" is enough.
You can also generally see how big their stack of money is, approximately how many hundreds they are holding, and you certainly know how recently they purchased a station or factory if you pay any attention.

But you can see why total disclosure might make the game quicker. If someone is focusing part of their turn on figuring out how much money you must or can't have then the game slows down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.