Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, we have had a number of drops but the tournament continues! Here are the Round 2 matchups:

Free__________________Shadow

Jose Barreto vs. Andrew Poulter

Jim Spoto vs. John Dale Quimpo

Archibald Zimonyi vs. Michael Sosa

Ralf Schemmann vs. Gary Libby

Rafael Brimmer vs. Vila Alija

John Clark vs. Kevin Wojtaszczyk

Magic Geek vs. dave65tdh

Everyone should be playing someone with the same record and a different side from your first round. If I have made a mistake please let me know right away!

Please contact your opponents, you have two weeks to finish Round 2.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alija Vila
Bosnia and Herzegovina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Free__________________Shadow

Quote:
Vila Alija vs. Rafael Brimmer

Quote:
Everyone should be playing someone with the same record and a different side from your first round.

I am a Free People player again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Belisarius88 wrote:

Kevin Wojtaszczyk vs. John Clark

I think these pairings simply need to switch sides to play the ones they haven't yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthoroc wrote:
Belisarius88 wrote:

Kevin Wojtaszczyk vs. John Clark

I think these pairings simply need to switch sides to play the ones they haven't yet.

Concur - I will contact Alija to play:

Rafamir (Free) vs. Alija Vila (Shadow)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Corrected! That was a copy and paste error from my spreadsheet. I had also gotten my own match side mixed up.

This however brings up a potential future issue... it is possible that you may have to play the same side twice in a row in a situation were your opponent, based on record, was on the same side track as you, in other words you started playing Free in the tournament and so did he. If you meet one of you will be a repeat side. Hopefully that would be corrected for the next round so that everyone plays the same side twice.

However, I wonder if it is possible for someone to have to play the same side three times? There will be a semi-final and a final, we should strive to keep the sides as even as possible throughout. In the event of a tie should we:

1. Ask the players if they have a side preference
2. Randomly assign sides

No bidding mechanism was agreed for this tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archibald Zimonyi
Sweden
Gothenburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would go with randomly choosing side.

Since we're all the best of the best (ok ok, the only ones who signed up) we should be able to handle both sides.

Archie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote random too.

(And is there a way to subscribe to this thread without posting?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alija Vila
Bosnia and Herzegovina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Random sounds OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir (FREE) vs Alija Vila (SHADOW)
We finished our game... It was a game that came down to Elven rings in my view. I will send results to referee but will post only at the end of a session report. It was that kind of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Barreto
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game results between me (Jose Barreto)(FP) and Andrew Poulter(SP):

... Two small figures moved wearily behind Gollum in North Ithilien.

"Just a little longer Mr. Frodo, we are almost there."
"It grows heavy Sam, I don't know if I can make it."

As they crested the rise into Minas Morgul, figures, armed men in dark cloaks surrounded them. A small figure, elbowed his way into the circle and let out a sigh of exasperation.

"Pippin?!!"
"Well about time you got here, we were going to start celebrating without you. Lets get you something to eat, you look starved."

1. Who won (jbarreto as Free Player)
2. On what turn the game ended (Turn 11)
3. What victory condition was achieved (Free Peoples Military Victory)
4. Corruption level of ring bearers at game end (4 corruption)
5. Position of fellowship in Mordor (About to declare in Minas Morgul)
6. Shadow VPs (2 VPs; Pelagir and the Shire)
7. Free VPs (4 VPs; Orthanc and Minas Morgul)

An amazing game, where the dark lord Andrew concentrated heavily on the hunt for the ring, but was not able to inflict a lot of corruption damage thanks to the brave sacrifice of many companions.

Turn 1: I rolled 3 charcter dice in the first round and rushed Strider and Boromir to Dol Amroth. Andrew did not roll any musters so all he could do was concentrate some of his armies in Mordor.

Turn 2: I crowned Aragorn for the extra die. Andrew gained the allegiance of the Balrog in response, using his only muster die for the turn. I also played A Power Too Great to delay his assault on the elven lands.

Turn 3: Political tug of war as Andrew played StormCrow to lower Gondor's preparations, but I was able to use Boromir's abilities to rile up the war sentiment again. The elves also moved to war as the army from Dol Guldur moved towards the Golden Wood. The Balrog unpredictably, sent his forces west towards Hollin.

Turn 4: I mustered Galadriel for another die. Andrew declares war with Isengard in return. Rohan's forces under Theodred take forward positions at the Fords of Isen. The Balrog's army continues to move west. The fellowship is found in Hollin, moving very slowly with all the eyes looking for them. Saruman takes the Fords of Isen and Theodred leads his shattered army to the safety of Helm's Deep where they link up with reinforcements from Edoras. Despite the news of the attack, the King does not believe his friend Saruman could betray him, so Rohan is still not at war.

Turn 5: Saruman reveals his true colors and declares himself a minion of the Shadow. Gandalf summons his friend Gwaihir and sends Merry in an urgent mission to Fanghorn. Saruman uses the Voice once before Merry rouses the Ents from slumber. Rohan reluctantly moves to war and musters another elite in Helm's Deep.

Turn 6: The fellowship is found in Dimrill Dale after passing thru Moria unnoticed. Gimli falls in battle with Durin's Bane. A wound suffered by the Ringbearer festers as it comes from a Morgul blade, but Legolas finds enough Athelas to cleanse the wound (corruption back to 1). Forces from Dunland join the army massing in the South Downs. Sauron finally declares war and launches his mighty army to invade the lynchpin of the free people's position in Eriador ... Bree. Gondor cannot let this act of naked aggression stand and declares war.

Turn 7: Pursued by 4 Nazgul, the fellowship takes refuge in Lorien. The battle in the west continues as the combined shadow army chases the survivors of Bree out of the North Downs. Hopelessly outnumbered the survivors flee to Evendim. The North is now at war.

Turn 8: The fellowship is refreshed after their vacation in Lorien (corruption 0). An army from Morannon crosses the Anduin at Cair Andros and threatens Minas Tirith. Pelargir falls to forces from Minas Morgul. The Shire burns as the forces from Moria continue their drive to the west. The fellowship is revealed in the Brown Lands.

Turn 9: Gandalf falls in the Brown Lands taking care of a 3 tile. Legolas takes over as the guide. Andrew forces a new hunt draw with Isildur's bane and Smeagol is found. Survivors from the Shire make it to the Grey Havens. Gandalf, now the White, returns beyond all hope to the Grey Havens. Merry rouses the Ents to action and they weaken the forces at the Fords of Isen.

Turn 10: The fellowship is declared in the Western Emyn Muil. Smeagol dies to an orc arrow. Merry delivers a rousing speech condemning Saruman's non eco-friedly ways and the ents crush all resistance at the Fords of Isen. Saruman is sweating bullets. The Ents march on to Isengard and wipe out all resistance in 3 attacks! Saruman is no more. The army from Helm's Deep reclaims the now empty fords. The orc army in the Druadan Forest heads toward Edoras. A half orc regular is hastily ordered to man the empty tower of Orthanc.

Turn 11: The fellowship is declared in the Eastern Emyn Muil. Rohan's army marches into Nan Curunir and lays siege to Orthanc. The Chief of the Ringwraiths is revealed and combs the skies looking for the fellowship. Legolas falls drawing the nazgul away. Pippin is the only remaining companion. An army from Minas Morgul assaults Osgiliath. The gondor regular there miraculously survives and sprints for the empty Minas Morgul. The Southrons and Easterlings declare war. Pippin leaves the Fellowship and takes command of the defenses of Minas Morgul. The army in South Ithilien watches impotently since no Nazgul are there to lead it. Theodred's army assaults Orthanc. The lone half orc puts up a spirited defense, taking down 3 Rohan regulars before he is cut down.

Many thanks to Andrew for being a very gracious opponent and having the patience to deal with the connection issues we had. A very enjoyable game where luck was definitely on my side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbarreto wrote:
where luck was definitely on my side.

Well I have to say that I did have some luck in the game, but it nearly always seemed to be for the hunt rather than the battles. I should have taken the hint and not taken a gamble at the end which spectacularly back-fired blush

However, as ever, the game was great fun to play and Jose was a great opponent. Already looking forward to round 3 and hopefully my first win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
magic gecko
Australia
Melbin Oz
flag msg tools
Got him. Turn 7, ring dunk. (first die)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules Issues
The following are several rule issues that have come to my attention, I will list them with my opinion of correct resolution, I invite conversation on the topics although the three official judges have final say.

The Free rolling event dice before Shadow has finished allocating eyes: The Free must reroll. This was clearly discussed in the general discussion thread before the tournament. Free must wait until Shadow has completed their eye allocation and, to be safe, rolled the Shadow event dice.

A player rolling combat dice before opponent allowed to play combat card: If the player who rolled did not play a combat card then the opportunity to play the card is forfeited. If the opponent was not given a chance to play his card before one player begins rolling then I think the roll should be cancelled and the opponent allowed to play the card. We cannot allow the roll to stand since there are cards that limit the number of dice rolled.

WK special card draw on first round of combat: I asked a similar question in the general discussion before the tournament, we need to reach a consensus on this. When is it too late to draw for the WK? I think it is too late when cards have been played for the next combat round (or dice rolled) or when your opponent has declared the event die he will use for his next action. Hitting escape to kill the die and cards could also be used as a trigger, but I would favor the more lenient approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine with all of these, and also favoring the more lenient ruling on the WK draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rafamir (FREE) vs Alija (SHADOW)
The session report is at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/445603

(22thumbsup!)

The final stats were:

1. SHADOW WIN (Alija Vila)
2. SPRV
3. 13 Corruption (14 without Gollum revealing...)
3. Step 3
5. Shadow at 6VPs
6. Free at 2VPs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Clark (FP) vs. Kevin Wojtaszczyk (SP)

1. Who won: Kevin
2. On what turn the game ended: 8
4. Corruption level of ring bearers at game end: 2
5. Position of fellowship in Mordor: About to declare in Minas Morgul
6. Shadow VPs: 10 (Woodland Realm, Erebor, Dol Amroth, Pelegir, The Shire, Helm's Deep)
7. Free VPs: 0

A good fun game, which Kevin won because he played better. I couldn't blame bad rolling here - got plenty of 6s in battles. Kevin's 10 points came from all over the map. He caught me by surprise at the end by taking The Shire for the 10th point.

Kevin won the game with his last dice on turn 8. On the next turn I would have entered Mordor on 2 corruption, Merry, Pippen and Boromir, and zero nasty red tiles. So, I was a small chance of making a last-hope rush for a dunk but Kevin timed his assault perfectly.

Kevin was an excellent and fair opponent.

Oh - Kevin, Canberra is at Latitude 35 S and Longitude 150 E, so the opposite side of the earth would be 35 N and 30 W, which is roughly in the Azores islands in the North Eastern Atlantic. The closest big city is Lisbon, Portugal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthoroc (FP) vs Gary Libby (SA)

Corruption victory for the Shadow on turn 10. A surprisingly quick game (2 hours) where I tried to get quickly to Mordor, but was hit by way too much corruption by Gary's cheiftain strategy. I entered Mordor with 6 corruption and tried to move in Mordor twice. First time hit me with the 3-stop tile, which was softened a bit through Gollum.

Next turn I was thinking of getting a "Last Battle" into play against only 1 eye in the pool, and therefore didn't move on the first chance. That was a mistake since Gary played "The lidless Eye" right away. My one move to avoid the corruption point netted me the "The Ring is Mine". Mithril Coast avoided it, but the redraw was another eye which killed me because of "Lidless Eye". Oh well.

The Shadow was at 4VP (Minas Tirith, Edoras and Pelargir) and close to sieging both Helm's Deep and Dol Amroth.

Congrats to Gary and thanks for a very nice game. Good luck next round!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Archibald Zimonyi (0-1) vs. Michael Sosa (0-1)

Over two sessions we played an 8 or 9 turn game which ended when Archibald was unexpectedly corrupted on step 3 of the Mordor track, Shadow at 6VP. Unexpectedly because most tiles would have given Free a win, he just happens to have drawn all of my 3s, two eyes (which Galadriel removed), and The Ring is Mine (added to the pool that turn) to finish him off at 12 corruption. There was a small chance Shadow could have ended the game that turn, pushing the Free to move aggressively with three eyes showing.

This game was a good example of how the odds can pan out, at least for me! I lost game 1 to corruption even though most tiles favored me, and the same thing happened to Archibald. Sometimes you set yourself up to increase your odds but the random tiles favor your opponent.

Archibald Zimonyi (0-2) - Michael Sosa (1-1)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
We are pending resolution of the match between Jim Spoto vs. John Dale Quimpo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Spoto
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were supposed to have played Saturday morning. Unfortunately, Dale lives in the Philippines, and just in case anyone hasn't read the news lately, they've been hit very hard by a tropical storm in recent days. Many parts of the country are in a state of emergency.

So far, I haven't heard back from him, and I'm not sure if he has power or internet at this point. But hopefully, he's dry and safe!

I'll try to get an update as soon as I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Spoto
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm waiting to start my game, I thought I'd take a peek at some of the Round 2 game summaries and replays.

Has posting replays fallen out of fashion?

Being able to see each game played was something I was hoping to get out of the tournament. And given that we're all using the Java application, there's really no effort in posting the replay file. Just a thought...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to submit a log file here to BGG, but it got declined by the geekmods. I'll see that I'll put them up somewhere else and link to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Spoto
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? What's that about? Why would some get approved, and others not?

It would seem to be a meaningful contribution to the WotR community.

Maybe we can attach something more meaningful, like pics. of cats in boxes, so they'll get approved...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Libby
United States
Middletown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jspoto wrote:

It would seem to be a meaningful contribution to the WotR community.

Maybe we can attach something more meaningful, like pics. of cats in boxes, so they'll get approved...

Yes, please one more bloody cat in a box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
jspoto wrote:

The reason given was that it was a session report and should be posted in the appropriate forum. Which is kinda nonsense, since it's NOT a session report for simple reading - and other log files had already been posted under files. I was not gonna argue about it though.

I can see though that perhaps the file section should not be flooded with online play log files. It's better reserved for support files like rules summaries, reference sheets and such.

Therefore I'll host my log files on a different server and post them in a separate session report thread ... I hope that gets approved.

EDIT: Btw, thanks to Gary for making use of his Teamspeak server in our last game. I can only recommend using voice communication with the Java client. It makes games much quicker and easier to run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.