Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was in this expansion that I noticed cards (weapons, or possibly armour) that have a permanent effect and yet can also be activated to provide some other benefit. My apologies if I am mistaken in this regard, but perhaps you can answer my question anyway.

If you choose to activate such a card, do you lose the permanent benefit until the refresh phase of your next turn? Intuitively, you shouldn't, as it's permanent after all. However, to activate, the suggested convention is to flip the card face down until the refresh phase in your next turn, and it bugs me to have a permanent ability/bonus hidden like this.

It's possible for another player to attack you before your next turn, in which case you might want to make use of the permanent feature of your weapon, which is now face down. If you aren't meant to benefit from it because you activated it, that's great. But, if you are, you could forget about it (out of sight, out of mind, so to speak).

I expect the usual replies of, if you're too dumb to remember such things, you should rather play an easier game. That's valid. I think it is more a case of OCD that I need to see everything that is currently affecting each character. Although, when playing late at night, or while tired, or with children (or less attentive, or simply casual, adult players), it is easy enough to miss things that are right there.

OK, I've made far too much of this. A simple clarification would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobold wrote:
If you choose to activate such a card, do you lose the permanent benefit until the refresh phase of your next turn? Intuitively, you shouldn't, as it's permanent after all. However, to activate, the suggested convention is to flip the card face down until the refresh phase in your next turn, and it bugs me to have a permanent ability/bonus hidden like this.

The permanent ability remains active, unless explicitly said.
It's somewhere in the FAQ, I'm sure.

Tobold wrote:
It's possible for another player to attack you before your next turn, in which case you might want to make use of the permanent feature of your weapon, which is now face down.

Most people don't flip their activated cards over. They just turn them sideways, in the same way you "tap" Magic cards. (Heck, I bet that's how the authors played, but they wanted to avoid a lawsuit.)

Tobold wrote:
I expect the usual replies of, if you're too dumb to remember such things, you should rather play an easier game. That's valid.

Looks like you ended up with no reply at all til now. Now that's unusual! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gilles.

I wanted to tip you a full , but only had .25.

Yes, it was strange to have no response until now. I did go searching the FAQs and found it mentioned somewhere that the permanent effect remains, well, permanent. I suppose the answer was in the question.

I picked up the Sands of Al-Kalim in the meantime. Looks like it was a good time to grab it too, as it seems out of stock at many places now, including FFG, the last time I checked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.